Resolutions & Goals for 2009

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Postby Cajun » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:05 am

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:Little bastards! Off my lawn, all of you!!!! :x

Maybe you should "trim your lawn" a bit closer - then you wouldn't attract all that riffraff :wink:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby trdsf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:07 am

Same resolution I make every year:

"I resolve to make no resolutions."

If you start off your year with a Gödelian paradox, things can only improve from there. :D

(Best of luck to all of you kicking the cigs -- I did it three and a half years ago and don't miss 'em at all anymore!)
"You think the humans think we are strange, you think?" -- Lattis to Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
trdsf

Postby dracuscalico » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:17 pm

dracuscalico wrote:
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:
dracuscalico wrote:Plus it's a great incentive not to smoke, when you are "sucking wind" to get through a workout.

Sucking wind? Ewwww. . . .

I've read that I can expect my metabolism to slow down as my body adjusts to not being revved on nicotine all the time. . . Between that and the oral fixation, I WILL have to get some kind of regular exercise thing going. . . . Once it gets warmer, I mean.

Buzzzzzzer ! No No No No No....

You have to start NOW, before the problems kick in.

You need to do it NOW while you are motivated.

You need to do it NOW like tell us what your workout was like by tomorrow!

HOW are your workouts going?

One of the fastest way to kill off your love life is to gain weight. No matter what people say on OPRAH about loving the person on the inside, they want you as attractive as possible and love you a LOT more when you are looking your best, than when you've let yourself go and they have to force themselves to make love to you, out of pity, disgust and obligation....

What turbocharges your love life, is getting into even better shape than when they met you. That way you are "sweetening the deal" !
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks for asking, Drac. Overall status report:

On day 9 without the smokes.

We've been taking hour-long walks together every day, except when it's f-kng bitter outdoors, like it is today.

Have not been snacking AT ALL. Been weighing myself every third day and have actually LOST 2 pounds.

I don't think I'd be suddenly single if I got too fat, but I don't think it'd be fair to Him to let myself go to hell, either. . . .
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:17 pm

Congrats. I learned a trick from someone who is a smoker. He learned it from someone else. He had to get rid of the cigarette smell inorder to sell his car. He took a cake or pie pan, put it on the floor of the car and filled 2/3 ot the way with VINEGAR, and let it sit for a couple days. The smell was totally gone! I guess that is why they have the vinegar and waater douche... :lol:
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Pazuzu P. Sasquatch » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:20 pm

Then killing a car's ping-pong ball smell is a whole different animal, I'm guessing. :wink:
When I was driving once, I saw this painted on a bridge: "I don't want the world. I just want your half."
Pazuzu P. Sasquatch
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:34 pm

Pazuzu P. Sasquatch wrote:Then killing a car's ping-pong ball smell is a whole different animal, I'm guessing. :wink:

Are these "Priscilla Queen of the Dessert" ping pong balls? ...... :P

NOTHING can get that smell out! .... :lol:
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Re: Resolutions & Goals for 2009

Postby DeckApe » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:49 am

How'd everyone do?

Mine was to spend one day in four (my bi-weekly days off) attending to projects.

I didn't succeed for a number of reasons... sloth was probably a factor, financial limitations for some. The biggest challenge was that my working conditions changed in September and I went from having four days off every two weeks back to two days off every week. After twelve years of working a 10/4 shift, going back to a 5/2 has been a huge reprogramming. (It isn't complete yet, either.)

I did get a few projects dealt with, and I see there's some on the master "To-Do" list that could be easily dealt with in a couple of hours. I think I'll see if I can't do a little clean-up on that list before year's end. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:56 pm

Don't fret too much about it. I don't have to be anywhere at any time... I can get up or go to bed whenever I want. There's nowhere I have to be. I still don't get things done that I'd planned to do. Yet, strangely enough, I always seem to be busy doing something.

I thought I'd have completed a lot of paintings this year, but life got in the way. Oh well... maybe next year. I have over 60 in progress, so a few will reach completion soon.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby jabpcola » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:26 pm

I know this will sound strange. My wife passed away in August, despite being gay to the core, I loved her dearly. We were married 45 wonderful years. We have 2 sons, 1 grandson, 3 granddaughters and now, 1 great grandson. So much for the background...

My New Year's Resolution, and there is only 1, is to come out to a few close friends and possibly one of our sons.

That's it, plain and simple, quit hiding behind my wonderful wife's skirt! :D
jabpcola

Postby butch » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:55 am

jabpcola wrote:I know this will sound strange. My wife passed away in August, despite being gay to the core, I loved her dearly. We were married 45 wonderful years. We have 2 sons, 1 grandson, 3 granddaughters and now, 1 great grandson. So much for the background...

My New Year's Resolution, and there is only 1, is to come out to a few close friends and possibly one of our sons.

That's it, plain and simple, quit hiding behind my wonderful wife's skirt! :D

That sounds like quite the, uhm, challenge. This may be quite an earth shattering event in your life, not just for those you tell, but to you as well. I'm not certain such things can remain a secret once revealed to anyone, no matter how well trusted. Others will want to "spread the news" so to speak. There is a possibility that others have already suspected "things". In any case, I have never met, nor dealt with this kind of situation... but I wish you all the best in this endeavor. I find it quite mind boggling and hope it goes well for you... expect the unexpected and just try to be at peace with yourself. Those who love you will certainly stand by you.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby JakeMIke » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Move to Florida and get a new job, not in that order.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 pm

1. Project 365: take a picture everyday for 365 days.
Gave up on this one.

2. Max out Roth IRA- huzzah!
Didnt max it out, but focused on goal 3, contributed to my TSP and bought some stocks.

3. Debt reduction plan.
Most of my debt is gone, will be finished in a short amount of time.

4. I have monthly and quarterly health goals being developed, much easier to accomplish than some obtuse or lofty resolution for the year.
This worked fine until after I got over here, then it died out.

5. Declutter: starting with a revamp of my filing system, then sorting clothes and books. And on to whatever else there is. It appears my possessions have doubled since I traveled the Oregon Trail. Must... stop... helping... economy of purchase and debt.
Yeah, did a lot on getting my clutter under control, but did leave stuff for the BF to deal with when I left.

6. Finish the apartment. I've got bookcases up, but not mounted to the wall and filled with books. I'm lacking a desk/table and chairs/stools. And there's still nothing on the walls.
We got all that done before I left, and then while I was gone he got the reading-nook put together.

7. Explore the Pac NW.
We had some weekend trips before I left and while I was home visiting.

8. I sense a March visit to AZ.
Done. And saw some stuff in CA, NV, UT and ID as well.

9. Finish all Bday and holiday shopping before I leave so I can just call or email "make sure to send Box #A to so-n-so by this date and Box #C to this person 2wks later"
Good enough on doing that.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Re: Resolutions & Goals for 2011

Postby olywaguy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:26 pm

Instead of beginning a new thread, I will recycle this one.

What are your resolutions and goals for 2011?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Resolutions & Goals for 2011

Postby Rico » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:28 pm

olywaguy wrote:Instead of beginning a new thread, I will recycle this one.

What are your resolutions and goals for 2011?

To do something about the thread shortage. :)
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:11 am

Just two this year, though one is recycled from 2009 and 2010... complete two projects for every one I start! Knock a few of the to-do list. Even if it means looking at the list and saying, "y'know what, I'm never gonna do that..."

The other: simplify. Reduce the amount of CRAP I own/am owned by/am storing for no good reason.

The teddy bear stays, though, wherever he is.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby glas_scot » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:25 am

Study my freakin' butt off so I get my degree.

Get back to the gym as I've put on a few pounds over the last few months! :oops:
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby madsglen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:52 am

To finish up my backlog of unread books before I buy any more. (That should last about a week! :lol: )

After watching some football this afternoon, I got pulled into watching a "Dog - The Bounty Hunter" marathon. I could make that a habit! (His sons are kind a cute. And his wife, Beth? Now if I were ever to want to marry a woman she'd be on the list!)
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby Schlodesss » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:06 am

Run 11s in the Thunderbird.
Run 10.99 in the Thunderbird to prove a point
Back Thunderbird down to 12.50s in full street trim and actually use and have some fun with the car.
Dirt bike more
Lose weight
get a real job.

See my priorities are right eh? I don't care only live once, who knows how long.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Rico » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 am

I don't usually make resolutions for a new year, but in general, I guess it would be continuing doing what I'm doing right, and stop doing what I'm doing wrong. If I had to make three, they'd be easy ones:

1. Stop at the gym for moderate exercise at least 2 times a week.
2. A little less time on the computer to free up some time for those house projects I've been putting off.
3. Continue nurturing and feeding my relationships because that's what a happy life is all about anyway. Nothing else really matters.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Guy Stuff