Geocaching

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Geocaching

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:22 am

Do you do it?

I got hooked. Just bought myself a Garmin GPSmap 60CSx. There's a cache near the overpass btwn me and PSU and I can't find it.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby edu999 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:38 am

My partner and I used to do it all the time. We haven't gone in over a year, though.
edu999

Postby DeckApe » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:48 pm

I had to look up Geocaching. It sounds like fun. I'll have to keep my TomTom charged up so I can play too.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:36 pm

Sounds like fun. I'd probably prefer to do it with a map and compass. GPS is nice, but I still find something really satisfying in using something that requires me to think.

Okay, now I'm thinking about all the map stuff we did in the Corps...that was fun. On one of the night navs we were given the co-ordinates of 4 posts. There were actually about 30 or so out and about around this hillside and canyon. We were given a compass, a map, and an hour to find at least two of them. It was night, so it was dark and a fog rolled in so you couldn't even see more than a meter in front of you at times. I plotted out our course and we set off. My pace count was so on that I actually stopped a few inches from the first post we had to find. The second one was off by a few feet, but still was pretty close.

Maybe I should look into doing some of these...hahaha.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:42 pm

^ Your story reminded me of my Army ROTC days...We had the same field exercise - map and compass...no new fangled GPS in those days. Managed to find the markers - albeit with a little good natured help by a cadet climbing a tree and spotting/vectoring us in...

That camp-ex was in January in Wisconsin and I froze my a@@ off...and made me realize (1) I didn't look good in green, (2) I hated camping out and (3) with my liberal arts degree I'd find myself sitting in a tank on the Fulda Gap waiting for the Russian hordes to come screaming across. I disenrolled shortly thereafter.

Sorry, a bit off topic, but your response brought back memories...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:48 am

I don't think you can do Geocaching without a GPS unit. And the street-direction GPS units don't really fit the bill, either. They have to be the ones where you can plug in your latitude and longitude, down to minutes/seconds.
edu999

Postby DeckApe » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 am

The TomTom I have can do that, actually.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:24 pm

My friend did that about 30 years ago. They called it orienteering back then. You had to wander off into the woods and find your way. He won a medal doing it. (yes I know I'm old)
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:25 pm

edu999 wrote:I don't think you can do Geocaching without a GPS unit. And the street-direction GPS units don't really fit the bill, either. They have to be the ones where you can plug in your latitude and longitude, down to minutes/seconds.

There are groups for EVERYTHING. Besides, why couldn't you? If you are given the co-ordinates (down to fractions of a second), why can't you utilize a map and compass instead of being given a set of road directions? If you give me co-ordinates, I can figure out how to use a map and a compass to get there. I doubt some of the dirt roads, jeep trails, and hiking paths that I'd use would even be on one of those. Hell, most maps don't even have them listed properly...I doubt the GPS will. It would be good for city searches, but the point is to get into the outdoors. Won't help you much in the woods...when your battery goes dead...hahaha. Anyway, I'd have to find time between school and work...so I probably won't even be attempting any for a long while.
devilnuts

Postby edu999 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Yeah, city GPS units are pretty much useless for most Geocaching. You have to have one of those where you actually plug in the coordinates. I'd say most of the caches we have looked for and found were actually in open space preserves and hiking trails, etc. A lot of them off-trail, even, so you have to go bushwhacking (which I hate... lol)
edu999

Postby DeckApe » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:51 pm

edu999 wrote:Yeah, city GPS units are pretty much useless for most Geocaching. You have to have one of those where you actually plug in the coordinates.

Once again, the TomTom One 130S can do that. It's another page deep in the menu, but if you're on this board, you can probably sort out how to find it.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:11 pm

devilnuts wrote:
edu999 wrote:I don't think you can do Geocaching without a GPS unit. And the street-direction GPS units don't really fit the bill, either. They have to be the ones where you can plug in your latitude and longitude, down to minutes/seconds.

There are groups for EVERYTHING. Besides, why couldn't you? If you are given the co-ordinates (down to fractions of a second), why can't you utilize a map and compass instead of being given a set of road directions? If you give me co-ordinates, I can figure out how to use a map and a compass to get there. I doubt some of the dirt roads, jeep trails, and hiking paths that I'd use would even be on one of those. Hell, most maps don't even have them listed properly...I doubt the GPS will. It would be good for city searches, but the point is to get into the outdoors. Won't help you much in the woods...when your battery goes dead...hahaha. Anyway, I'd have to find time between school and work...so I probably won't even be attempting any for a long while.

I have the 1:24K USGS maps on my GPS. Shows more detail than I want at times. And shows most trails in my area.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby darkwolf » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:16 am

i think this sounds pretty cool, ill have to try it once i get a gps that works, figures the only phone company that doesnt support the software for it is verizon, they never get any of the fun stuff.
darkwolf

Postby devilnuts » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Well, I'll go out to Cibola and let your GPS find it. Even the USGS maps haven't been updated in over 30 years. I was trying to find recent trail maps when I lived in Yuma because I was going to go off-roading. No one had maps, GPS, or anything updated. I had to go with a copy of the topo map from USGS. Turned out three of the dirt trails had been washed out at some point in time. I even ran across a paved road out there. Maybe in the last 5 years someone has updated some of it, but I doubt it.

A map and compass is much better in that situation. Several times the roads veered from what the map had so I had to calculate my position using the topography and a compass. Made for an interesting trek out in the desert. I learned that my ice chest really will keep things cold in 120ºF weather for several days. Oh, and I learned that every bug within a 50 mile radius can see your headlights and will come for you...hahaha.

That being said, I looked up some of the caches in Tucson. Might be interesting to go find some. Maybe we'll have a new weekend ritual.
devilnuts

Postby chrismanos » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:18 pm

I do it. I am Staghorn on geocaching.com
"It's all very well in practice, but in theory it won't work."
chrismanos

Postby darkwolf » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:33 pm

well i joined the site but still waiting on the gps, theres one right next to me though in the local park, i know where it is so i might try to find that one. im deadcowboy on there.
darkwolf

Re: Geocaching

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:45 am

I've been caching in whatever you want to call this.. combat zone, police action state, etc.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby olywaguy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:04 pm

What kind of stuff have you gotten from geocaching and what have you placed in return?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:50 pm

There are a few geocachers in Oregon and Washington that leave little bead creations in caches, I have 1 or 2 beaded cats that have made it back to my apartment from caches I've found. The real cat hid one. Usually I'll take stickers that I find amusing, or the occasional toy/trinket. Most of the time I dont take anything unless its a trackable.

In Iraq.. most caches are small. Matchstick case or altoid tin. Basically a small log to sign your name and that's it. If you're lucky a geocoin, pathtag or small travel bug might be waiting for you. I've only seen a handful of caches that are larger- crystal light containers, mainly.

In Kuwait- altoid tin, magnetic hide-a-keys. This was in a small area waiting to fly in and out of the country.

In Oregon I've found from small magnetic nanos- half an inch long, half an inch wide, with a magnet holding it somewhere, up to large plastic tote-boxes.
Sometimes a cache is hidden as a log in a bush, or its a 35mm film canister behind a rock in a rockwall. Lots of ammo cans, lots of small lock-n-lock containers.

In Arizona I found a cache that was a 50gal plastic garbage can with buckets inside to keep trackables and the log book within arm's reach of the opening.

I found 45 caches in December, including 1 in Iraq, 3 in Kuwait, 1 in Texas, 40 in Oregon.
When I came back from Oregon I had some trackables that were given to me at an event cache to travel back to Iraq. I was lucky I found a cache in Dallas and one in Kuwait, so they got a nice journey from PDX to Iraq.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby darkwolf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Well I've been caching for a bit now with 77 finds and just won a state challenge. Taking and leavin stuff ranges from cards, pins toys, pretty much anything you can think of that fits, thats legal and age appropriate for kids. Great "sport" though. I'm having a blast with it.
darkwolf

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Congrats darkwolf!

Saturday I'm working on a challenge cache that requires me to get a cache in each page of the Thomas Maps Guide Portland Map.
Includes visiting the Original Stash plaque before attending a 10yr anniversary party within a few miles of the Original Stash.
Bramasole_iowa

Return to Guy Stuff