Will you still buy cars from the "[Big] Three"?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Postby blackmet » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:26 pm

J wrote:
You know what turned me against imports initially? The god awful horns. I HATE that nasally sounding "Jap-meep" (as I call it). I don't think Nissans do that, but the others do, and if I was forced to own one, the first thing I'd do is replace the horn with an American (sounding at least) one.

This is so true. I have a Civic now, and the horn leaves something to be desired. But outside of that and that fact that I'm a bit tall for it, so getting the mirrors adjusted properly is STILL a work in progress, I love the car. I've bonded with it more than I did with the Intrigue in the 2 years I owned it, probably more than the Continental I had before that.

The Delta 88 (Delta) was my first, she never let me down even though I treated her like sh*t, and I'll always love her for that.

The Continental (Connie) was high maintenance, but it had luxury and power and style. Only problem was, eventually, I just couldn't pay the bills.

The Intrigue (Trina) reminds me of a friend of mine in high school...she was mediocre looking, constantly bitching, guzzled hooch, chain-smoked, cut herself, and rarely put out.

The Civic (Millie)...I think this might be the one. She's good looking, she don't demand what I can't give her, and she don't bitch if I ask her to get me dinner.
Last edited by blackmet on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby J » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:46 pm

blackmet wrote:However, it is acceptable to tailgate while flipping people off and screaming out the window, nobody will bat an eye at that.

Haha, I've run idiots off the road and pointed toy guns (that look real) at them for doing that to me! One time, I made some "C U Next Tuesday" crash into a utility pole, airbags deploying and all. I got the hell out of there (I "left the scene", who the fu&k cares somebody like her anyway), and never heard about it again (this was over 10 years ago, but I'd do it again if I had to. Normally I make every effort now not to even look at other drivers to avoid road rage.
J

Postby The_Machinist » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:23 am

mrbrian200 wrote:
In the past I have owned one of GM's disasters. A Century with 3.1 V6 OHV head design where the rocker arms were mounted on a steel tube, held in place by plastic push retainers that fall out allowing the rocker arm to slide, releasing the pushrod which then springs off the lifter and crashes back down on the camshaft while running (catastrophic). That car went to the junkyard with well under 100k on it.

I have rebuilt a couple of those 3.1L engines, and never recall any sort of plastic retainers... The rockers were mounted to a machined boss in the head with the normal rounded washer/bolt method. if you mean overhead cam, that would be the 3.4L Overhead cam, which truly was a disaster. All 3.1L engines (including the LG8/genIII) were of the pushrod design, never overhead cam. Up until the Ecotec 4-cylinder and High Feature V6 (3.6L), GM has NEVER made a decent overhead cam engine. The Northstar V8 wasn't terrible, but was overly complex--- which led to a lot of oil leakage problems.

The GM engine to really avoid nowadays is the 3.4L "HVV6" (High Value V6)... used in the Chevrolet Equinox. This is an impotent 145hp pushrod 60-degree engine made in CHINA!
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Location: Lima, OH (home)/Baltimore, MD/Buffalo, NY, and soon, Spring Hill, TN

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 pm

Machinist is he thinking of the 3.8 Buicks in the Centurys maybe they had the rocker arm design like that, my T Types and GNs had that setup. But it never did me wrong at 25 psi for lots and lots of passes and beatings. Early 3.8s not as good as the newer series II etc 3.8s tho.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby FRE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:24 pm

My 2004 Mazda 3 (with manual transmission, of course; because I can drive, I don't need an automatic transmission) has about 13,000 miles on it. Considering how little I drive it, it should last a long time. I put many more miles on my motorcycles than on my car.
FRE
FRE

Re: Will you still buy cars from the "[Big] Three"?

Postby rlb2444 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:46 am

I really want to buy American and I have to admit that they may finally have woken up and get it. Not sure I can overcome the very bad Fords and Cadillac I have owned. I have been shopping and when I see price tags of $40-$50,000 I think, "Are they crazy...they expect me to risk that kind of money on cars that I have had horrible experiences when I could buy a BMW, Audi or Mercedes? Or, a Volkswagen, Toyota or Honda at half the price. Don't think so!
rlb2444

Postby DeckApe » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:43 pm

I've been a Ford boy all my life... but I have recently fallen out of love with them on the basis that they are discontinuing one of their biggest sellers, the Ranger, after this year. They have several alternatives coming, like economic commuter cars, more economic drive trains in the F-150... but they don't get it. They've had most of those options for years. If I'd wanted them, I would have bought them. I wanted a f$%&ing RANGER. Many people want a rig that can carry a half-yard of gravel when they need to, and can fit into a compact parking space the rest of the time.

Of course, they redesigned the cab back in 1993 and I haven't fit into it for nearly twenty years, but that's beside the point. It is also why I have an F-150 now, and since they refuse to raise the roof on a Ranger that strategic one inch--or even continue to produce them--I'm riding this one into its grave. I think I'm probably still in mourning for my 1987 Ranger, lovingly referred to as "the Blue Flame," that I had to retire because a car payment's worth of maintenance a month was still a losing battle.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I tend to be like you Deck. I'm sticking with Ford until I get burned, and I haven't been burned on my last three vehicles, all of which have been Ford SUVs that I bought new, put on loads of mileage, and held for relatively long times...way beyond payoff.

I've had no problems whatsoever (knock on plastic) except one, and the one I had was self-inflicted damage caused by my younger brother and his kids (lesson learned: don't lend out your vehicle unless absolutely necessary.) I'm also lucky to have found a nearby Ford dealer and repair shop that I trust, has given me fair value on trade-ins, and has yet to leave me with the feeling that I've been ripped off.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby edu999 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:28 pm

I'm not sure if I've already replied to this thread, and I'm too lazy to backtrack and look...

I've never bought a car from Detroit, and it's very likely that I never will. Setting aside all discussion about functional quality and performance, my main reason is that I think most of their products are ugly, especially inside. Some current models do look nice in my eyes, like the GMC Terrain (crossover SUV), Ford Fusion (sedan), Cadillac SRX (crossover SUV), Chevy Volt (sedan), and Ford Edge (crossover SUV).
edu999

Postby olywaguy » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Hmmm, the big Three....that would be Toyota, Honda, and Hyundai.

Thus far I have had four cars: Toyota Corolla, VW Golf, Hyundai Accent, Hyundai Accent.

Nope, I have never purchased an American made car.

Take a look at car sales for November 2010 and Year-to-Date as published by the Wall Street Journal.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby matinee » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:48 am

Never been wronged by any of the domestics. 90% of cars in the family are Mopars and no complaints. I do have an 2004 Audi A4 and that has been the least reliable vehicle EVER! but I love the handling so I am keeping it. My main work horse is a 2005 Chrysler 300, 110,000 miles, no garage, -40F Alberta winters. Only thing replaced so far is the timing belt/water pump, so other than the scheduled maintenance it is the most trouble free car I have ever owned (it still has original light bulbs, brakes, etc...). Yes, I will buy another Mopar.
matinee

Postby DeckApe » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 pm

I would certainly consider another Ford, if they decided to offer what I want.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:53 am

Dackape, I just spent the last 10 hours driving my buddies 2010 Ford Ranger. I LOVE this truck. What I love too.. it's extended cab, 4.0L, highest towing capacity of the Rangers... but the ONLY option is A/C... it even has a rubber floormat no carpet no pw, pl, etc...

Anyways comfy, powerful, not too too bad on fuel, nice looking, and did I mention 10 hours in them seats and I feel like I have been in a lazyboy all day.

What a nice lil truck.

Prior to this he had a mint 1993 ext cab he traded in and it was a nice ass truck too.

I want to find a clean 85-87 Ranger shell and put a 2.3L turbo making around 300-325 HP in [I have the motors and harnesses, just need the chassis] as my S10 is still very much game at 250000 KM andrns great but its gettin rough... i'm either gonna do the body on it, and same, Ford power, 2.3L Turbo or find an older Ranger.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby J » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:15 am

I'm drooling all over Chevy Volt ads, but $40,000 and up? No can do. My family's doing something weird. I think my dad wants a new car, so he's giving my brother his Ford Escape (he's planning to move to a new condo soon and needs the SUV room), and it looks like I'm getting his '94 Honda Accord as a "hand-me-up". I HATE the horn and will replace it as soon as I get it so it will at least "sound" American (come to think of it, Nissans are also Japanese, and have American sounding horns). It's got about 150,000 miles and has been a little "bitchy" lately (his words), but hey, I just need something that has 4 wheels and will get me places! And it's a lot nicer than the "beater" type car I was about to resign myself to. And best of all, since they're transactions within the family, no RMV fees or taxes! IMO, the doors just need some WD-40 and I have to be "nice" to it. No crashes! Hell, since gas prices are back above $3/gallon (here), I'll probably drive it like an old lady, especially when accelerating. It only has a cassette deck, but I have about 3 old adapter tapes that can plug into my mp3 player just fine.

But yeah, I definitely would still buy a car from the "big three". I just don't have the $ for the one I really want!
J

Postby Schlodesss » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Jeff those are good cars man keep the oil changed and rock that sucker to the 300K mark.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby DeckApe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:45 pm

Schlodesss wrote:Dackape, I just spent the last 10 hours driving my buddies 2010 Ford Ranger. I LOVE this truck. What I love too.. it's extended cab, 4.0L, highest towing capacity of the Rangers... but the ONLY option is A/C... it even has a rubber floormat no carpet no pw, pl, etc...

Anyways comfy, powerful, not too too bad on fuel, nice looking, and did I mention 10 hours in them seats and I feel like I have been in a lazyboy all day.

What a nice lil truck.

Prior to this he had a mint 1993 ext cab he traded in and it was a nice ass truck too.

I want to find a clean 85-87 Ranger shell and put a 2.3L turbo making around 300-325 HP in [I have the motors and harnesses, just need the chassis] as my S10 is still very much game at 250000 KM andrns great but its gettin rough... i'm either gonna do the body on it, and same, Ford power, 2.3L Turbo or find an older Ranger.

I don't have headroom in the current incarnation, and buying a Ranger old enough that I can actually fit in would put me back in the early 1990s. I am not buying one that old as they are elderly enough to be senile at this point. I don't need another maintenance challenge. I had to abandon my '87 Ranger XLT X-cab because of that.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Guy Stuff