Do you remember your first car?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Do you remember your first car?

Postby dracuscalico » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:37 pm

What is the earliest car that you can remember?

Was it your very first?

Or was it the first one that you weren't actually embarassed to be seen in?

Or was it the first one that you paid for in full?

Or was it the one that got you the most compliments.

Or was it the one that really FELT like it was part of you?

Or was it the one you loved to work on?

Or was it the one that you DIDN'T have to work on because it ran like a dream?

What was special about the car you remember most?

Did you talk to it?

Did you give it a nickname?

Did you let anyone else drive it or was it off limits?

Did you handwash, wax or detail it?

Did you change the fluids more often than necessary because you loved the car?

Or did you love it because if you missed keeping up with the maintenance you could always count on it to run for you?
Last edited by dracuscalico on Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby yes_I_am_so_what » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:57 am

The earliest car I remember was a 1972 Chevy Nova. That's the car my parents bought when my dad came home from his Vietnam tour of duty, many years later that's the car I was driving to high school.
There are so many emotions available. Why strive only for happiness?
yes_I_am_so_what

Postby blackmet » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:59 am

Earliest car I remember is a tie between my great-grandfathers 1969 AMC Ambassador (which he drove until the day he died, and never ONCE broke down or needed anything but basic, basic things done), and my mom's Caprice Classic Diesel that I used to get high off the fumes from in the back seat when I was a little kid.

First car I was actually a licensed driver for was a 1988 Oldsmobile Delta 88. Called the fudgepacker, Delta, or the Shitsicle. I loved it, but it sort of committed a slow suicide on me -- power steering issues, engine problems, brakes, windows, etc. Still never left me stranded. Eventually sold to a guy for $50 so he could attempt to fix it up for his daughter who was coming out of juvie. LOL

2nd car was a 1995 Lincoln Continental. God, I loved her. Connie or the Big Red Machine. 6 disc in console CD changer. Heated leather seats. Digital everything. It died in a due to transaxle and transmission issues because of the blizzards of 2006.

Now I'm on a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue. Trina, the old gray mare, or Trig Palin, depending on how I feel that day. Don't love it, but it's a decent daily driver and has some kick when it needs it. Really good in the snow. Was committing slow suicide on itself as well -- windows on passenger side would not roll up, it'd randomly stall in traffic due to having air/fuel intake issues, blower motor and massive cooling system issues. A ridiculous amount of money later, it's good as new and by my mechanics estimate should be ready to go another 30K miles with just normal maintenance.

I talk to all my cars, and slap them on the dashboard. Their nicknames also change based on how I feel about them at that exact moment. Trig Palin was my current cars name for a month, now it's back to being Trina. Was good about washing the Continental (had to be...windshield washer fluid NEVER worked), not so good with this one. Nobody else EVER drives my vehicles at any time for any reason.
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:42 am

I inherited my mother's 1977 Volare. I think it was voted one of the worst cars ever made, because it would stall out in rain or snow.

After that came an 86 Pontiac 6000. I remember sweating alot in that one. It was navy blue, so it absorbed solar heat. One time I blew a fanbelt from running the air conditioning too much. Whoops.

Now I've got a 98 Dodge Caravan. Not sure how much longer it's going to last. It's nice and roomy but kind of a pain in the ass to brush off in a snowstorm. The windshield is so huge I can't scrape the ice off parts of it.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:13 am

Well now, I'm sure that Lou will be able to top me on this one (Good God that didn't come out right :shock: ), but the first one that I remember was my mother's Beige 1957 Pontiac Super Chief, two door HardTop....

The first car that I owned was a silver 1976 Ford Gran Torino, two door HardTop, with a navy blue vinyl roof........
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby chidiver » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:46 am

I drove my mom's old 1976 Jeep Wagoner; plastic wood and all. The thing was a bit of a tank and the neighbor ladies always thought that she was gutsy for "driving a truck." :lol:

chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:44 am

I remember my parents' 1973 Pontiac Astre. Lime green 2-door station wagon with wood panelling and brown vinal seats. We named her Bessie. Jeez! That's the car I learned to drive in (when I was about 8 y/o.) My Dad used to seat me on his lap (no jokes, please) and let me steer as he worked the pedals. As I got older, about 10, I was driving on my own. I was the envy of all my friends. But the reason for this was quite different. My Mom was a Diabetic, and if she ever blacked out at the wheel, he wanted me to be able to get back home. We drove that car until the the transmission literally fell out and we ran over it.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:52 am

The first car I remember was my grandfather's 1941 Lincoln sedan; with the reverse hinged back doors. Way cool. 8) First family car in memory was a 1954 Ford Fairlane station wagon, gunmetal gray; think shiny primer, but it as a factory color.

Learned to drive in a 1955 cobalt blue Karmin Ghia.

First car I owned was a 1971 AMC Gremlin, purchased new from a dealer. Paid $2,300.00 TTL. 2 passenger with a fixed rear window and a 21 gallon fuel tank. B-W 3-speed on the floor and a 232 IL 6 cylinder. Fun ride. :lol:
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby The_Machinist » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:08 pm

My first car was a 1983 caprice station wagon ("The Whale").. I drove it until my grandpa offered me an even trade for a 1992 Chevy lumina ("The Luminuminuminumina"). I drove that lumina until last year, but meanwhile, I had a 1988 honda civic wagovan AWD ("Bad Rice"), a 1990 nissan sentra ("The Yellow Dart"), a 1987 Toyota Corolla FX ("The Yo"), and a brief stint with a 1990 Acura Integra (still have it.. going to drop a transmission in it). I now own a 1989 Caprice wagon ("The Beast"), a 1997 Blazer 4X4, a 2000 Ford Focus ZX3 ("PJ", for Puddle Jumper), the acura, and a 1990 Blazer 4X4 ("The GhettoBlazer") --going to fix it up and sell it. It needs a fuel pump and some wiring harness debugging.

The old lumina is still kicking... sort of. I sold it to the neighbor down the road and it blew its timing chain a couple weeks ago. I pulled the cylinder heads to find that it is an interference engine (bent the valves), so I am putting a junkyard engine and transmission in it. The original engine lasted 230,000 miles before it self-destructed.

Yeah,I've had (and have) too many cars!
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Location: Lima, OH (home)/Baltimore, MD/Buffalo, NY, and soon, Spring Hill, TN

Postby Dago » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:43 pm

The first car I drove was my Mom's 1969 Chevrolet Impalla. It was huge and had no air conditioning and no power brakes or power steering. It was like driving a tank! I swear. That was the car I used to take my driving test. That was in 1976.

About a year later, I bought my first car.

My Mom's brother, my Uncle Tony, had his wife's car for sale. A 1966 Ford Galaxie 500. It was red with a white hard top, 4 doors, and 450 horsepower. My uncle was asking $900.00 for it so Dad talked to Uncle Tony and arranged for me to pay $100.00 a month to him until I got it paid off to spare me having to finance it and pay interest.

So myself, my Dad and Uncle Tony went to the bank to transfer the title. When we got home, I paid my Uncle Tony $100.00 in twenties. My Uncle Tony, who was so cool, handed $20.00 back to me and told me to use that to fill it up with gas.

Back then, I prolly only used $10.00 to fill it up but I don't remember how much exactly.

Man, I remember that like it was yesterday. Good times!

Vince
Some people are like a slinky toy, not good for much but they make you smile when pushed down the stairs.
Dago

Postby DeckApe » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:19 am

My first car was a 1984 Ford Ranger, 2.8L V6, auto tranny. Ford called the color "medium walnut" but in actuality it was Metallic Turd. It had 43,000 miles on board when I bought it for $3000 in 1990; when I wrecked it in 1998, it had 110K, give or take. (I did a Carfax on the VIN here recently and found out it's still on the road. :shock: ) It was probably about 3 months away from a massive nervous breakdown... it always ran hot (I suspect the waterpump wasn't working, or something). I referred to it as "The Warthog."

The second car was a 1987 Ranger X-cab 4x4. Much nicer rig. Bought it in 1998 and sold it in 2004. Never really though about it, but in 5 1/2 years I put 110,000 miles on it. Mostly freeway miles, but still. Anyway, it had 237,000 miles on when I sold it for $500 (the body was still straight). I only disposed of it because it was costing me a car payment a month in maintenance. That one was called "the Blue Flame."

Third car is a 2004 Ford F-150 "Heritage" model. (Translation: we're dumping the last of the '03 body style on the '04 chassis, and selling it for $3000 less.) Nice enough truck, but I miss the Blue Flame.

The only reason I didn't buy another Ranger was that when Ford and Mazda merged the B2300/B3000/Ranger line in 1993, they lowered the roof by about two inches. I only had an inch and a half of clearance in the old Ranger body. :? It would seem that 6'1" in height is the overall cut-off for Rangers and I have the misfortune to be 6'2" with short legs. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby crankycurmudgeon » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:04 pm

Earliest cars I remember are my Dad's '57 Beetle, Mom's Studebaker coupe and my aunt's Plymouth Belvedere with the push button transmission and the big tail fins.

First regular driver was a '72 VW. I shared it with my brothers, but drove it about 9 or 10 of the 12 years we had it. Next car as an '83 Subaru 2WD hatchback. I put about 230,000 miles on it over the 16 years I had it. I replaced it with a '97 Tacoma which I'm still driving.

Nothing as exciting as Lou's '72 Gremlin.
Like a bad penny, some things just keep coming back.
crankycurmudgeon

Postby edu999 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:53 pm

First car I drove = Toyota Crown (this model isn't sold here in the USA)

First car I owned = hand-me-down Toyota Camry

Firt car I bought = Mitsubishi Galant -- washed the outside and vacuumed the inside regularly for the first 6 months, after that I started going to the carwash regularly every other week. As the years passed the fortnightly carwash became bimonthly at best. haha.
edu999

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:28 pm

The first car that I can actually remember, though there were beaters before this one, is my red Dodge Charger that I totalled in an accident with a school bus. The bus was filled with kids in wheel chairs. I thought I was going to be burned at the stake.....

I loved that car.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:38 pm

BWAAA HAA HAA HAA!!!

You dog! How could you. Talk about bad luck for you. In Toronto, last summer, a dude left his dog in the car on a hot day and animal rescue had to be called. As they were rescuing the dog, it's owner showed up and the rescue workers hand cuffed the dude to a lamp post (for their safety) while they continued their operation. Then left. The dude hand- cuffed to the lamp post had the snot beatten out of him by bystanders on the street for cruelty to animals.

Here, they would have kicked you to the middle of next month.

Sorry, back on topic.

My first car was a 79 Monte Carlo.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:14 pm

:shock:

(you forgot the "Egyptian head slide shoulder roll round the world north of the border south of the beltline zorro snap! "....)

:P
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:51 am

The great thing about older cars is that they were easy to fix and eveything was easy to reach. Now they are designed for mechanics instead of people so we can't get to anything anymore without hiring them. (Kinda like the people who make hotdogs being in collusion with the people who make the buns, so they NEVER come the same number in both their packages guaranteeing each other continual business).
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:04 am

Yeah no kidding. To get at the air filter on the Volare, you had to remove one wingnut.

On the Caravan, there's about 8 screws. You need a wrench and about 20 minutes. :roll:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:50 am

They only want the vehicles to be user friendly, not do-it-yourself friendly.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:42 pm

dracuscalico wrote::shock:

(you forgot the "Egyptian head slide shoulder roll round the world north of the border south of the beltline zorro snap! "....)

:P

No I didn't. B*tch.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:36 am

How this for cool cars...

http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/ludlum/p ... sscars.asp

vintage stainless steel classics.
[/img]
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby dracuscalico » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:27 pm

I like it, wouldn't drive it, but I'd show it.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby rob650 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:14 am

I first drove, but didn't own, my grandparents 64 Ford Fairlane sedan with a 260. Bought new in '64, always started on the first try, and was still in very good condition. Many awesome memories associated with that car, and wish my cousins DIDN'T get it after geepaw passed away. They promptly trashed it.

Chidiver, thats a rad Jeep!
Too much noise, not enough signal...
rob650

Postby cumminsturbo88 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:17 pm

Ok so my first car was a 1970 beetle then it was a 1968 Karmann Ghia, and then it was a 1965 Ford Falcon. The falcon was a trip. No power anything. Remember I'm 19. Most kids my age don't know what a 3 speed on the column is. After the falcon I got a 1975 Chevy impala. All of these were in a 3 year period. I'm a redneck so I buy and sell cars A LOT! lol Now I'm on a 2007 beetle lol.
Saying all gays have AIDS is like saying all Christians are Fred Phelps.
cumminsturbo88

Postby Schlodesss » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:07 am

First one I bought w/ my money and put on the road a 1979 Mercury Capri RS 5.0. Option delete [no radio even] and a 4 speed with the metric TRXs. It was probably a low 15 second car, and I thought I was pretty bad ass lol. It was a nice car though and i'd love to find one today optioned like it and with a ncie black interior and leather seats etc. Door handles were down at the bottom, just off the wall options. Didn't even have a rear spoiler on the hatch or the 5.0 emblems but was a factory RS/5.0 4 speed car.

My sister spun it out into a guardrail in the snow and bent the frame :cry:

I went to high school and worked 40 hours a week so I could have that car.

S'awright, the cars I have had and the one I have now is actually QUICK [11.81 @ 115 MPH w/ a 4 cylinder turbo].
--------------
Schlodesss

Next

Return to Guy Stuff