Do you remember your first car?

A place to discuss guy stuff, in the material sense. Topics and discussions about cars, computers and gadget electronics and other cool "stuff" guys like.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss, Cajun

Still have my first car

Postby freshsteeds » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:52 am

Still got it in my garage. My 64 Beetle named Dieter (dee'ter). Was on Motorweek once as the Car of the Week.

Check him out on http://www.myspace.com/freshsteeds
It's the broncs and the blood,
It's the steers and the mud,
And they call the thing r-o-d-e-o...
--Garth Brookes
freshsteeds

Postby trdsf » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:47 pm

First car I owned: 1972 Chevy Vega "Buttercup" (emphasis on 'vague') in the mid-80s.

First car I drove: Either Mom's '77 Volare wagon, or Dad's '70 De Ville convertible (don't look at me like that, by the time my dad bought it this Caddy was a beater :D ) in '79 and '80.

Best car: Tie between the '80 Honda Prelude (unnamed) and the '94 Saturn SL "Cassini"

Worst car: '84 Lincoln Continental "Connie" I'd bought from my parents... I told my dad he was lucky he was family or I'd use the 'Lemon Law' on him.

Current car: none. Technically a '92 Nissan Stanza "George", but I totaled it last year and it's undrivable. Named by my roommate the Seinfeld fan, it was George th'Stanza... :roll:
"You think the humans think we are strange, you think?" -- Lattis to Kro-Bar, The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra
trdsf

Postby DeckApe » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:10 am

trdsf wrote:Current car: none. Technically a '92 Nissan Stanza "George", but I totaled it last year and it's undrivable. Named by my roommate the Seinfeld fan, it was George th'Stanza... :roll:

Bummer.

Not entirely on topic, but my college roommate had a 1982 Volvo 240 wagon I named "Pandora, the box." You never really knew what was going to happen or what you were going to find when he opened the hood. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby michaelk69 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:30 am

Brand new white Chevy Camaro with white leather interior . . . given to me by my parents on my 17th birthday.

Was I totally spoiled or what?? heh hehe . ..

My dad told me it would be a "chick magnet", but luckily it was years before his hopes were (officially) dashed, lol . ..
michaelk69

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:24 pm

michaelk69 wrote:My dad told me it would be a "chick magnet", but luckily it was years before his hopes were (officially) dashed, lol . ..

BWAAA HAA HAA HAA !!! :lol:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby J » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:26 pm

michaelk69 wrote:Brand new white Chevy Camaro with white leather interior . . . given to me by my parents on my 17th birthday.

Was I totally spoiled or what?? heh hehe . ..

My dad told me it would be a "chick magnet", but luckily it was years before his hopes were (officially) dashed, lol . ..

See why I'm so damn bitter with people who get everything they want? I had to scan groceries for two years before buying my first car, a horrendous 1983 Plymouth Reliant (unreliant is more the truth), it backfired all the time, leaked oil everywhere, but could get me "around town". I had to work twice as hard just to keep it mobile as it kept breaking down, and paid my own insurance, gas, etc. But you know what? I'm damn f*cking proud of that. I didn't get a dime handed to me (never really did, my "family" wasn't ever proud of their "failure black sheep"), and I didn't ask for anything. So if I sound spiteful or hateful toward people who got everything handed to them (especially at an early age), don't take it personally, just know that I had to work, slave and suffer to become the nothing that I am today. The stories I could tell of the stress (and embarassment) that friggen car caused me my last year of high school...
J

Postby nimby » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:03 am

I hear ya. I've been through that too. I have been working since I was nine years old. Yup, nine. I had a large paper route that had to be completed before school. Up at 4am, washed, ate breakfast ( which I made), sorted the papers and out the door by 5 am. Done by 8 am and had to rush home to put my buggy away and pick up my books for school. Some times my terminally ill father would come and walk with me. Now I realize the guilt he must have felt seeing his boy go off to work and he couldn't.

And ever since that time I have never been without a job. Ever. I put my self through school and everything. Am I proud I didn't get any handouts? Not really. Was I jealous? yup. But that't what I has dealt with in my life and I had to cope.

I've worked very hard to get where I am today, to be able to have the nicer things, but now I don't care for them. The joy for that stuff is gone. I'm just so tired, physically, mentally, emotionally tired. And I'm only thirty nine. But I never forget one thing. It could be worse. There are always people worse off than us. So I thank my lucky stars for what I got, pace myself and pray that at least I live long enough to see my children grow up happy and healthy. Thats all I ask. Learn to want what you have, not have what you want, and you'll be ok.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby michaelk69 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:44 pm

J wrote:[color=black]See why I'm so damn bitter with people who get everything they want?

Hell yeah. I would be bitter in your shoes, too. But it's not my fault - I was just lucky - just sort of born into it. I gotta admit, it never crossed my mind to refuse the car because other people other there might be struggling, lol . . . i was as happy as a pig in s**t.

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, my parents are pretty poor now, in their retirement - despite being really decent people. Over-invested in the stock market and made some pretty bad investments and lost everything - they live in a crappy rented apartment now in an area that they absolutely hate, share a used car, and make due with their social security.

So hopefully that might help ease the bitterness a little! No one ever said life was fair, i guess.
michaelk69

Postby nimby » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:40 pm

michaelk69 wrote:

Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, my parents are pretty poor now, in their retirement - despite being really decent people. Over-invested in the stock market and made some pretty bad investments and lost everything - they live in a crappy rented apartment now in an area that they absolutely hate, share a used car, and make due with their social security.

So hopefully that might help ease the bitterness a little! No one ever said life was fair, i guess.

LOL !!! Yea, I'm sure that makes him feel much better. :lol:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Cachasa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:10 pm

I still have my first car. A 1994 pontiac grand am... I bought it a 3 years ago. I saved up for it while I was working over the spring/summer semester changing tires.

It's a piece of crap that leaks like a sieve but it gets me from point A to point B.
Cachasa

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Hmm. I shouldnt post about my first car as it's in my security file for identification reasons.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

My Automotive milestones

Postby sammyboy » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:54 pm

The first family car I remember was our 1954 Chevy sedan - must've been a 510 model, since it wasn't the top of the line - Bel Air was top dog in those days. I remember the back seat floor was rusted through and my older brother and I thought it was cool to smuggle sticks in the car, poke them through the rust holes and drag them on the pavement as we rode around town.

During high school, I drove my Dad's '64 VW Beetle occasionally. I say occasionally because when I wasn't having to get my much-annoyed buddies to help me push it to get it started, I would often as not have to use the pull-up handbrake to stop the damn thing when the brake lines sprang leaks.

The first car that I drove as my own was a '68 Chevy Caprice 4 door hardtop. My parents handed it down to me before my senior year in college.

The first car I bought new was a 1979 Honda Accord 2 door hatchback with a 5-speed manual. The current Civic's got to be larger than the first Accords were.
sammyboy

Postby J » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:03 pm

michaelk69 wrote:Anyway, if it makes you feel any better, my parents are pretty poor now, in their retirement - despite being really decent people. Over-invested in the stock market and made some pretty bad investments and lost everything - they live in a crappy rented apartment now in an area that they absolutely hate, share a used car, and make due with their social security.

But still, parentS. Remember my mom was killed 5 years ago, and I have extremely loose (if any) ties with the rest of my 6 or 7 blood relatives. I used to grieve her death because despite our constant screaming matches, she telling me she wished I was never born, me telling her I wished she was dead (this was from the age of about 5 on upwards), we did relate on a lot of issues and there are good memories, although they're badly tarnished. So forget the "parental" thing. It sounds like you have a relationship with yours (again, both of whom are alive), my dad and I are almost strangers and my mom (a borderline "mommie dearest" type) has been dead for years.

If I had to choose between loving/hating my "family", being a total black and white type of question, I'd honestly have to say that I hate them. I'm more just estranged from them (or they're more estranged from me, however you look at it) if anything else, and I simply dislike them.
J

Postby FRE » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:39 pm

The first car in the family was the 1935 Oldsmobile coupe' that my father had when my parents married. I barely remember it; it was replaced in 1941 by a Plymouth. The Oldsmobile had a clock in the rear-view mirror; it was wound by pulling and releasing a string. I remember that the starter was was operated by a button on the floor.

I bought my first car in 1958. It was a 1951 Ford flathead V8 with overdrive with about 60,000 miles on it, for which I paid $300. I sold it a year later because I found that I couldn't afford to keep it. In 1964, I bought a new Volkswagen because it was the cheapest new car available, cost little to maintain, and in its day, was considered very reliable. The most fun car I had was a 1971 Porsche 914, but it was totally unreliable and it cost a fortune to fix anytime something failed.

Now I have a Mazda 3 and 2 motorcycles. I use the motorcycles more than the Mazda.
FRE
FRE

Re: Do you remember your first car?

Postby carguy60 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:18 am

The first car I remember was our family's '56 Rambler Cross Country station wagon. It was an ugly shade of brown. I was 3 years old when my parents traded it in around '62 after one of the wheels fell off! I learned to drive in our family's '68 Ford Fairlane 500 coupe. This is the closest thing to a new car our family ever had and it was the best car we every had, too. My parents bought it in October of '69 with 12k miles on it. It eventually got handed down to my older brother (who beat the crap out of it!) and then I used it for a few years during college. In 1979, with 104k and running on 7 cylinders, it was replaced with a '74 Olds Omega coupe. The first car I purchased was a '79 Chevy Malibu coupe, which I still have. I bought her in April of '82 with 22k. Today, she has 86k and I rebuilt her 267 V-8 a few years ago. The weird thing about this car is she was ordered whith lots of options, but had no radio or wheel covers (just dog dish hubcaps) from the factory.
Last edited by carguy60 on Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carguy60

Postby backpacker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:59 am

It was a chevy chevette hatchback. I used it in 12th grade to get back and forth to school and work. I probably would have had it through college too if this girl I went to school with didn't rear end it with her car. The hatchback never closed properly after that which made it a cold ride in the wintertime that year. I bought a different car in the spring.
backpacker

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:50 pm

My first car...don't laugh;
1974 Ford Pinto station wagon - a 5 speed as I recall.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby FRE » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:10 pm

carguy60 wrote:The first car I remember was our family's '56 Rambler Cross Country station wagon. It was an ugly shade of brown. I was 3 years old when my parents traded it in around '62 after one of the wheels fell off! I learned to drive in our family's '68 Ford Fairlane 500 coupe. This is the closest thing to a new car our family ever had and it was the best car we every had, too. My parents bought it in October of '69 with 12k miles on it. It eventually got handed down to my older brother (who beat the crap out of it!) and then I used it for a few years during college. In 1979, with 104k and running on 7 cylinders, it was replaced with a '74 Olds Omega coupe. The first car I purchased was a '79 Chevy Malibu coupe, which I still have. I bought her in April of '82 with 22k. Today, she has 86k and I rebuilt her 267 V-8 a few years ago. The weird thing about this car is she was ordered whith lots of options, but had no radio or wheel covers (just dog dish hubcaps) from the factory.

Actually, the original Chevy V8, which was introduced in 1955, was 265 cubic inches. In 1957, a 283 cubic inch version was made optional and, in 1958, the 283 was the smallest V8 Chevy made. I remember driving a new 1955 Chevrolet with Powerglide. My mother's 1958 had a manual transmission; it was horrible! The shift lever rattled incessently, the gears were noisy, shifting from 1st to 2nd was very tricky, and the design of the clutch made it very difficult to start on hills. From the handling standpoint, the 1958 was a big step backward from the 1955 - 1957 models. However, the 1958 would go 54 mph in 1st and 91 mph in 2nd because of its close ratios. It wasn't 'til the 1960s that Chevrolet made a decent transmission, manual or automatic.
FRE
FRE

Previous

Return to Guy Stuff