Is there a correlation between intelligence and homosexualit

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Is there a correlation between intelligence and homosexualit

Postby noeasilver » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:10 pm

I've always felt a bit smarter than most of my peers while growing up. I have also noticed that other homosexuals are a bit smarter than their peers as well. For some reason I find gay people to be more successful in the career field too. I don't know if anyone has noticed this or it's just me.
noeasilver

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:03 am

More well rounded, yes. Smarter, no. More successful, no.

I feel smarter, but I give all the credit to my parents for that.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby batty » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:44 am

I wonder if deep down it's not partly a subconscious effort to make up for the "shortcoming" of homosexuality, in the sense that one may be gay but look at what he can achieve.

My roommate has this theory that gay men not only want to, but need to please and to him that accounts for why gays are overreprensented in the service sector, due to this search for acceptance/validation in others.

However I couldn't say that gay men are smarter, I know some who are as dumb as a bag of rocks and with whom you can't carry a conversation unless it's about the weather or hot guys :roll: .
batty

Postby DeckApe » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:16 pm

And yet I've known a couple of guys who I figured were too dumb to even know what homosexuality was.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:01 am

Is there a correlation between intelligence and homosexuality?

Nope. We're the same as everyone else, just differ on the sexual prefs.
solat

Postby The_Machinist » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:04 am

Heck no! I know several gay guys who are about as smart as an earthworm... and several who are very smart.
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Location: Lima, OH (home)/Baltimore, MD/Buffalo, NY, and soon, Spring Hill, TN

Postby paguy17551 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:58 pm

if there is, they're everywhere BUT Harrisburg.
paguy17551

Re: Is there a correlation between intelligence and homosexu

Postby RedKen99 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:48 pm

noeasilver wrote:I've always felt a bit smarter than most of my peers while growing up. I have also noticed that other homosexuals are a bit smarter than their peers as well. For some reason I find gay people to be more successful in the career field too. I don't know if anyone has noticed this or it's just me.

Our openess gives us freedom and confidence. When you're hiding a secret -like many straight men, because our society teaches them to- you don't feel like living...

Got it...!

The Beat Goes On...
RedKen99

Postby anatole noziere » Sat May 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Subjectively and intuitively, yes, I'd say that gays like ourselves are smarter, more successful, likelier to be geniuses--and several other qualitative differences besides (like, for example, that we gays are much less violent than straight men), which suggest that much-feared deduction of politically incorrect psychometry: A difference in Intelligence might be a difference in Species. Fortunately, perhaps, the data are inconclusive. It is both frustrating and intriguing to find how little objective research has been done on this very interesting topic. So far, it seems apparent that overall intelligence is about the same, with some advantage for straight men in spatial intelligence, and some advantage for gay men in verbal intelligence.
anatole noziere

Postby Tireman » Tue May 20, 2008 11:18 am

anatole noziere wrote: So far, it seems apparent that overall intelligence is about the same, with some advantage for straight men in spatial intelligence, and some advantage for gay men in verbal intelligence.
So that would go along with research that gay men's brains are similar to women's in certain ways. I don't feel like I communicate like a woman at all.
Tireman

Postby Schlodesss » Thu May 22, 2008 11:18 am

I dunno, I have noticed Gay men seem to be in better high paying white collar jobs on average compared to straight men.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Lepus » Thu May 22, 2008 6:47 pm

Surely. I've always notably sharper than the majority of people in my environmental sphere.
Lepus

Postby Phoenix6570 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:44 am

Part of me would like to say yes but I've had an encounter which firmly makes me question it. Sometimes I feel smarter than some of those around me. Its all questionable though.
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby Screamer » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:37 pm

There is a correlation between homosexuality and the number 38. Also it's caused by MSG - too much, or not enough, as will be determined.
"I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me"
Screamer

Postby Lex » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:59 pm

I don't think there is a correlation. I've come across some very intelligent and some very thick gay guys.
Lex

Postby JakeMIke » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 pm

There must be, since I'm both, LOL!
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Re: Is there a correlation between intelligence and homosexu

Postby dracuscalico » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:00 am

noeasilver wrote:I've always felt a bit smarter than most of my peers while growing up. I have also noticed that other homosexuals are a bit smarter than their peers as well. For some reason I find gay people to be more successful in the career field too. I don't know if anyone has noticed this or it's just me.

Smarter than their gay peers or straight peers? What kind of peers are you talking about? Other males with similar age/life experience? Or similar sexuality?

Many people would like to believe they are AT LEAST as smart as their peers whether it is true or not. NO ONE admits to NOT being as smart as their peers, no matter what....
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby Ben » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:39 pm

I've heard so many statements like this one.

"Gay men are more innovative, gay men are more intelligent, gay men are more sensitive" etc

Some gays like to refer to str8 guys as stupid drooling slobs while they themselves are more intelligent and sophisticated. It's the whole "wine vs beer" issue (makes me think of Frasier lol). I think a lot of gays tell themselves that they are special in order to uphold their selfrespect in a society where the very word "gay" is being used as a derogatory term. It seems that it's ok to be special only if it's in a positive way (on the other hand if someone implies that we are special in a negative way, people start marching down the street wearing only thongs and featherboas, but that's beside the point).

Now, there may be a correlation between being gay and being booksmart.
A lot of gay men, because of their poor standing in society get very educated in political issues, societal issues etc. But this is not the same as intelligence. I could include myself in that category, but my ability to learn math remains pisspoor none the less. :P

So the fact remains, we can't have the cake and eat it too.
Gay men come in any shape or size or color, from any creed and can have any IQ.

We are not special - and we shouldn't need to be.
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

No, Not smarter

Postby BadBoy220 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:24 pm

I personally think that:

Yes, gay people tend to show their intelligence more than straight people . . . . Going by what i know in my class . . . . This is because some of them tend to be socially rejected from the start of their school life so who have they to impress but the small group of their friends? (Thank god im not one of the rejects. . . . No offence)

The reason that most heterosexuals seem less intelligent is nothing to do with their sexuality (well maybe it does) but they tend to be more outspoken and ignorant to impress their peers. . . . Therefore they come across as less intelligent than the 'gay' people in the class.
"If I make a fool of myself, who cares? I'm not frightened by anyone's perception of me." - Angelina Jolie
BadBoy220

Re: Is there a correlation between intelligence and homosexualit

Postby qwertz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:56 pm

I am completely gay gay gay and I am usually much more stupid than the other guys, but I don't think there is any correlation.
qwertz

Re: Is there a correlation between intelligence and homosexualit

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:59 pm

I don't know?
I have seen that gay men do tend to be more intelligent, but maybe because they aren't afraid to show it?
Or they feel they have to make up for something?
I really have no clue but i do know, not to brag, but i am usually more intelligent than most of the guys i meet.

Plenty of the gay guys i know are top of their classes though, so correlation, or coincidence you decide.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Return to Stereotypes