Lefties

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Are you predominantly left handed?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes : 81

Postby AJ » Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:03 am

Righthanded here,but use my left for you know what.Gives the impression that it´s being done by someone else.Joke.
AJ

Postby Jesse » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:24 pm

i find lefties very very very HOT. as for me i'm amBIdexterous. :roll:

since we're on the topic of left or right i think my package leans to the left. :lol:
Jesse

Postby Smitty » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:20 am

I'm not only lefthanded, I'm left eared. I absolutely cannot handle a phone call with my right ear. I've had my hearing tested and it's AOK in both ears. So, what's up with that?

When I was little and my father dropped me off at the barber shop, the old German barber would wait until my father had left, then he would set down his clippers, hand me a pad and pencil and implore me in his broken English to print a few lines with my right hand. Apparently being lefthanded was considered a very bad thing in the "old country".

When we learned handwriting in school, the teacher had us all slant our paper with the top of the page to the left. I tried the exercises that way, but I had to curl my hand into an uncomfortable position to be able to see what I was doing. I watched all the righthanded kids and it looked very easy for them, so I twisted my paper in the other direction and suddenly it was easy for me, too. The teacher corrected me a couple of times, but when I explained it to her she relented. She was a good teacher. So, I managed to avoid that cramped overhand writing style that many lefthanders were forced into.

Joan Baez is left handed and she wrote a song about the abusive treatment she received from the nuns in Catholic school as a consequence, but I can't find the lyrics on the net.

My lefthandedness is seldom a problem. I would like to have a lefthanded circular saw - Milwaukee used to make one. And a pair of lefthanded scissors would be a good idea, too, but I never think to buy a pair.
Smitty

Postby Foxy Trouble » Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:35 am

I'm left-handed, left-footed, and left-eyed. Rock on.
Foxy Trouble

Postby cloudy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:08 am

Humans have two hemispheres which comprise the brain. Although brain function is spread all over the place, one thing is certain.

If you are left inclined, you are using your right hemisphere, predominantly, and vice versa.

If you are right inclined, you are mainly depending on your left hemisphere.

You can actually increase your physical dexterity and mental capacity by forcing your other hemishpere to work harder. This is not that hard. You can cover your one side ear and eye for periods of a few hours a day. This will eventually train your other hemisphere to start working harder.
If you have the patience, attempting to write with the opposite hand will also train the brain. Practice several times a week for about six months.

If you are right handed, tap out a simple tap sequence, of some sort with your right hand. Now, simultaneously, try to repeat the same sequence, at the same time, with your left hand. Do this several times a week. Your left hand dexterity will be difficult to improve, but it will. Ask any keyboard player, or drummer.
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T.S. Eliot
cloudy

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:42 am

I'm left eyed too. Never heard that term before. Left eye has always been sharper, clearer. Now it's getting really bad though. They can't even fix my right eye properly with glasses. Maybe I should try your advice, Cloudy. The dumb doctors can't even figure out what's wrong.
The right eye is 20/30 which is still good vision, but it's the shits compared to the left. :(
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby dabonsteed » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:20 am

my understanding of left-eyed has nothing to do with which eye has better vision. My prescription has been the same for both eyes for years and I'm still left eyed.

It has to do with the fact that your eyes do not move in tandem, one actually follows the other. It's a fraction of a second in difference so it's impossible to see or detect.
One eye is used more for focusing on an object and the other helps fill in the details and depth perception.

Here's the simple test for those of you who don't know which eye is dominant.

hold up a circle in front of you, make one with your hand if you don't have any circles in front of you. Hold it at least a foot away from your face. Now, find vertical object, a tree, a stop sign, the edge of a building. The object needs to be somewhere in the distance, not a few feet from you.
With both eyes open, center the object in the circle. So that it cuts the circle exactly in half. Now don't change your position. You're going to close one eye and keep the other open, and then switch.

Keep your left eye open and close your right eye. Did the object in the distance move or stay in roughly the center of the circle?

open both eyes, make sure the object is still in the center of the circle.

Keep your right eye open and close your left eye. Did the object in the distance move or stay roughly in the center of the circle.

Now, if when you had your right eye open the object didn't move, you're right eyed.
If when you had your left eye open the object didn't move, you're left eyed.

If you ever want to be a sharpshooter, knowing which eye you use to focus in on an object is something you'll need to know. For the rest of us it's just fun.
"this is your life, are you who you want to be?"
Switchfoot
dabonsteed

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:41 pm

Left handed.

Do everything with the left hand.

Do everyone with the left hand.

But I golf with the right hand.

Postby blu » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:27 pm

I am left handed, so is my mother. I remember when I was learning to write my mom put dots on the page for me to write the letter on...her dots were uneven and for years I wrote in wavey lines :oops:
blu

Postby J » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:52 pm

devilnuts wrote:I'm right handed but for some reason when I "take care of business" I have to use my left hand. I don't know why. I used to use my right hand, but I just can't do it anymore. Gotta be the left one. I suppose it's probably a good thing to change it up every so often, but it's been years since I could use my right hand and I see no relief in sight...lol

This is funny. Almost frightening. I went through the exact same thing. I'm completely right handed, from writing to holding a baseball bat to pouring a drink to operating a handheld can opener. But a few years ago, I also started doing "that thing" with my left hand, and although I have attempted to use my right hand recently, it doesn't work anymore. I didn't think there was anyone else who has "changed dexterity" doing that until now.....

Perhaps I started doing it because at first it felt like someone else's hand and then I never looked back?
J

Postby Negate » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:47 pm

I'm ambidextrous in everything with my left except writing. 51% Right 49% Left.
<----Imz In your forum sabotaging yah thredz.
Certified rice queen.
Negate

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:24 am

I too am ambidextrous, but I was encouraged to write with my right hand. Basically, I will use whatever hand is free. I can still write with my left, but it is not as smooth as my right.
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/lesleycharles
Lesley R. Charles

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:48 pm

Lesley R. Charles wrote:I too am ambidextrous, but I was encouraged to write with my right hand. Basically, I will use whatever hand is free. I can still write with my left, but it is not as smooth as my right.

Lesley I thought you might like this 'ambidextrous joke.'

Why did Hellen Keller masturbate with one hand? :?:

So she could moan with the other. :wink:

Postby BlackmanXXX » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:26 pm

Right-hand man.
http://people.lulu.com/users/index.php?fHomepage=496298

I need to engage in bisexual behavior on a massive scale. It cannot be corrected but I have no other way to fulfill my needs.
BlackmanXXX

Postby olywaguy » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:20 pm

I've always wondered why most people are right-handed. What is it about our anatomy that makes us right-handed. You'd think there would be an equal amount of right and left handed people around.

My younger sister is left-handed and so I know the problems she has gone through living in a right-handed world.

There must be some sort of physiological reason why most people are right-handed though.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:26 am

Far from Flaming wrote:
Lesley R. Charles wrote:I too am ambidextrous, but I was encouraged to write with my right hand. Basically, I will use whatever hand is free. I can still write with my left, but it is not as smooth as my right.

Lesley I thought you might like this 'ambidextrous joke.'

Why did Hellen Keller masturbate with one hand? :?:

So she could moan with the other. :wink:
Far from Flaming,
That was funny. :lol:
Lesley R. Charles

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:28 am

olywaguy wrote:I've always wondered why most people are right-handed. What is it about our anatomy that makes us right-handed. You'd think there would be an equal amount of right and left handed people around.

My younger sister is left-handed and so I know the problems she has gone through living in a right-handed world.

There must be some sort of physiological reason why most people are right-handed though.
Carlos,
I suspect that more people were born more ambidextrous as in my case and by the time they start school, they are encouraged to use their right hand because the left side was associated with the devil. Funny I know.
Lesley R. Charles

Postby edu999 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:33 am

olywaguy wrote:I've always wondered why most people are right-handed. What is it about our anatomy that makes us right-handed. You'd think there would be an equal amount of right and left handed people around.

That's a good question. Is there an evolutionary advantage with right-handedness? Who knows...
edu999

Postby Anderson » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:33 pm

Another left-handed guy...
I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
Anderson

Postby imperfectjoe » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:55 pm

I'm a lefty!!
imperfectjoe

Postby Brandon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:44 am

I'm a right-handed guy. It's funny though because when I was much younger, I was a gymnast and always found that my left hand/arm was used for strength moves, while my right hand/arm was always for directional coordination... It's hard to explain better, so if there are any gymnasts here, you will understand what I mean.

My father was left-handed and had an awesome handwriting.

I have heard that left-handed people are more artistic than their right-handed counterparts... Has anyone heard that as well?

8)
Brandon

Postby batty » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:31 am

Lefty here too!

I remeber in kindergarden, they forced us southpaws to cut with our right hand because they were too cheap to buy us left-handed scissors :roll: . And just to add what lesley mentioned, it's apparently very dangerous to force a lefty to "change hands" as it can lead to dyslexia, stuttering and
aggressivity.

And wait... it gets better ;)

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Acropolis/1684/lefthand.html wrote: Medical literature reports that lefties more accident prone, are more likely to have their fingers amputated by power-tools, suffer more wrist fractures. Lefties are more susceptible to allergies, auto-immune diseases, bed-wetting, depression, drug abuse, epilepsy, hypnotism, low birth weight, schizophrenia, sleeping disorders, suicide attempts, and certain learning disabilities. Lefties are six times likelier to die in an accident, and four times to likelier to die while driving.

So I'll take "geocities" with a grain of salt, as we ought to and rather focus on the the good stuff now :) (cut and pasted from here and there):
-Officials in Mensa, the high IQ society believe as many as 20% of their members are left-handed.
-Left-handers adjust more readily to seeing underwater.
-1 in 4 Apollo astronauts were left-handed - 250% more than the normal level
-Left-handers are generally more capable of using their right hand for tasks than right-handers are using their left hand
-The left foot is less ticklish than the right.
-Polar bears are left-handed (how this is a "good thing" I have no clue,but surely it can't be bad! :lol: )

This page has got tons of theories on left-handedness
http://www3.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov:80/entrez/ ... ?id=139900

And there are some pretty cock-and-bull explanations out there :D

Huheey (1977) suggested that preferential right-handedness in man has its evolutionary origin in relation to the tendency of human mothers to hold infants on the left side. The practice has been ascribed to imprinting and a soothing effect of the sound of the mother's heartbeat on the infant; thus, dextral mothers would be more skillful at manipulation of objects with the free hand and would be selectively favored.

And Brandon as for the increased artistic abilities of lefties. I can't speak for myself as I can barely draw matchstick men :oops:
batty

Postby Brandon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:35 am

Thanks Batty.... that is cool information you provide... Not sure how much is based on empirical studies, but it's fascinating nonetheless.

Thanks!

8)
Brandon

Postby foxeyes2 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:12 am

I have a brother who is a lefty and he is very artistic and has been since he was a kid.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:50 am

I'm right handed.
Dad was left handed and so is my one of my bros (str8).
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

PreviousNext

Return to Stereotypes