The Southern US Stereotype

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Postby beezer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:01 pm

Let's see ... Dukes of Hazzard, Deliverance, Gone With the Wind ...

Weees too po an too stoopid to think for ourselvees. Weese done worn out our pair of shoes, so weese have to wait'll next year to git another pair. I ain't got my teeth wimme, so I'll just borrow Grandpa's to eat my peanuts and watermelon on the porch in my overalls.

Yep, that's what Hollywood, the media and some of our "enlightened" brethren think about us. What makes it worse is that some of those same illuminati move here, complain about it all, but never leave!
beezer

Postby selective_soldier » Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:08 am

I saw part of this movie called Water Boy for the 1st time this past weekend.. :evil: Boy do they pour on the CAJUN Stereotypes.. They even take a jab at my alma matter..

Now I have these young f*cks are asking me if I ever drove a riding lawn mower to school, swam bareback on an alligator, or had Kernel Sanders teach at my college..

I walked out in the middle of the movie because the jokers kept laughing so hard, I had no idea what the movie was about..But it was all in good fun..
"Those who are most difficult to love, need the most love."

~OEF 2008- 2009~

Take care of each other. Differences & not.
selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby olywaguy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:55 am

selective_soldier wrote:

I saw part of this movie called Water Boy for the 1st time this past weekend.. :evil: Boy do they pour on the CAJUN Stereotypes.. They even take a jab at my alma matter..

Now I have these young f*cks are asking me if I ever drove a riding lawn mower to school, swam bareback on an alligator, or had Kernel Sanders teach at my college..

I walked out in the middle of the movie because the jokers kept laughing so hard, I had no idea what the movie was about..But it was all in good fun..

Most Adam Sandler movies are idiotic. So far the only one I liked of his is The Wedding Singer.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Corvo » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:14 am

Maybe a little late to chime in on this topic, but:

Southern accents are damn hot!

Does anything connote raw virility like a Southern accent?

I know there is probably more than one Southern accent, but to us Northerners they all sound the same :wink: . Actually, all regional accents are hot. Sadly, I'm stuck with one of those bland, over-educated-sounding Midwestern voices, a televison voice, standard-English, the kind of voice which makes you think its bearer came from (as I once heard it expressed) "nowhere really, but somewhere nice." And, horrors!, just a touch of a (BBC) British accent in the way I pronounce certain vowels. Maybe one day I'll see a dialect coach and aquire a Southern accent. Or a Jersey accent. Or a Cockney accent. Or something.

In college I knew this adorable guy from Georgia. Thrown among Yankees, he played up his Southernness in a kind of minstrel burlesque, even hanging a Confederate flag in his room. But he was one of the sexiest men I have known. Effortlessly. Alas, he was straight.

All I know of the South I know from William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor and (I'm ashamed to admit) Anne Rice and an obscure writer of pulp fiction named Jeri Cain Rossi. As William Gibson put it in Virtual Light,

"Plantations. . . . Magnolias. Tradition. But a certain darkness as well. A Gothic quality. . . . A fever dream of sensuality."

Racism aside, in terms of mythology, you Southern men don't know how good you have it.
Last edited by Corvo on Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corvo

Postby selective_soldier » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:37 pm

Corvo wrote:Maybe a little late to chime in on this topic, but:

Southern accents are damn hot!

Does anything connote raw virility like a Southern accent?

I know there is probably more than one Southern accent, but to us Northerners they all sound the same :wink: . Actually, all regional accents are hot. Sadly, I'm stuck with one of those bland, over-educated-sounding Midwestern voices, a televison voice, standard-English, the kind of voice which makes you think its bearer came from (as I once heard it expressed) "nowhere really, but somewhere nice." And, horrors!, just a touch of a (BBC) British accent in the way I pronounce certain vowels. Maybe one day I'll see a dialect coach and aquire a Southern accent. Or a Jersey accent. Or a Cockney accent. Or something.

In college I knew this adorable guy from Georgia. Thrown among Yankees, he played up his Southernness in a kind of minstrel burlesque, even hanging a Confederate flag in his room. But he was one of the sexiest men I have known. Effortlessly. Alas, he was straight.

All I know of the South I know from William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor and (I'm ashamed to admit) Anne Rice and an obscure writer of pulp fiction named Jeri Cain Rossi. As William Gibson put it in Virtual Light,

"Plantations. . . . Magnolias. Tradition. But a certain darkness as well. A Gothic quality. . . . A fever dream of sensuality."

Racism aside, in terms of mythology, you Southern men don't know how good you have it.

It's funny, when I was in Iraq, I could pick out who was from the Carolinas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Alabama..

& The Californians & Notherners had a feild day with us.Image Most had never been to the South. You could tell by all the questions they had. & They assumed because we were all Southern, we all did the same things. Drink mint julips on the porch.. :lol: (sorry, I couldn't help it..)

So to hear us all talk was a treat for them. It was all good . All in good fun. They love when I call them Beverly Hills 90210.

That's whay I didn't take them personally ribbing me about Water Boy

~OEF 2008- 2009~

selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby Negate » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:51 am

It's funny ppl from the south think were're Yanks and ppl from the North think we are bumpkins...VA seems to be just in the middle of mystery.
<----Imz In your forum sabotaging yah thredz.
Certified rice queen.
Negate

Postby Creature » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:52 pm

I want to move to Europe
Creature

Postby edu999 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:40 pm

Negate wrote:It's funny ppl from the south think were're Yanks and ppl from the North think we are bumpkins...VA seems to be just in the middle of mystery.

Hahaha. Yeah, I saw this Food Network special about a barbecue competition. The people from the Deep South were making fun of the people from Virginia. They were saying that the Virginia folks had no chance of winning, because barbecue was a Southern thing and because of that Virginia didn't count. :)
edu999

Postby Screamer » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:24 pm

Creature wrote:I want to move to Europe

Any part in particular, or is it all the same
Screamer

Postby Creature » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:51 pm

My first choice would be Paris, because well.........because it's Paris. After that would be Madrid or Barcelona because I speak Spanish.

I would pretty much live anywhere that I can there, though.

It's all better than the USA in many ways, in my opinion. I am sure there are those that will disagree with me.
Creature

Postby Negate » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:32 pm

edu999 wrote:
Negate wrote:It's funny ppl from the south think were're Yanks and ppl from the North think we are bumpkins...VA seems to be just in the middle of mystery.

Hahaha. Yeah, I saw this Food Network special about a barbecue competition. The people from the Deep South were making fun of the people from Virginia. They were saying that the Virginia folks had no chance of winning, because barbecue was a Southern thing and because of that Virginia didn't count. :)

The ironic part is my accent can transition between country or Yank. Many ppl think I'm not around from here.
Certified rice queen.
Negate

Postby Odeh » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:16 pm

Been to the South..for the first time in '93...found them to be very sociable and hospitable...seemed to be proud of their way of doing
things...saw more african-americans in HIGHER positions than in
some parts of the North (like Western Pennsylvania) and more latinos

I got the(non-verbal) impression they are the type of people who would let you know where they were coming from in terms of racial relations...as opposed to playing mind-games and smiling in your face saying "everything is fine" while stabbing you in the back...which is said
to go on up North...I can generally say I liked it when I visited there...

Did see lots of guys wearing Confederate hats and lots of Confederate
flags in South Carolina...( I thought wow "Bubbas" do exist...how interesting)...no one bothered me at all...I also got the non-verbal impression they were used to interacting with black people...
Odeh

Postby devilnuts » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:11 am

LOL...Odeh...your post cracks me up. More people of color in higher positions? Who cares? Seriously, it really bothers me that people still even pay attention to that kind of sh*t anymore. The only reason that I refer to someone as black,white,mexican (or other origin if I know it),asian(again, more specific if I know it), American Indian (they give you bonus points if you remember to reference their tribe), etc. is so that someone will know which "Bill" I'm referring to. Same as when someone refers to me as "the guy with the green hair". Well, it's not green now, but it's merely an identifier. I mean, if white Bill would color his hair, then I could just say Bill (referring to the black Bill) and Bill with the funky hair. HAHAHA. Or shaved head. Or whatever.

Oh, and if you're white and have a Mexican friend nicknamed "beaner"(his last name was Benitez or something like that)...not a good idea to yell that out across the mall to get his attention...didn't think about it until I yelled it...got some of the most interesting looks...hahaha.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Beamer » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:30 am

devilnuts wrote:LOL...Odeh...your post cracks me up. More people of color in higher positions? Who cares? Seriously, it really bothers me that people still even pay attention to that kind of sh*t anymore.

You should be in corporate America. I'm constantly barraged with references to skin color and sexual orientation, when all along I thought we weren't supposed to pay any attention to that stuff? I don't look at the people I work with and see an ethnicity - I see a personality. (Should I see ethnicity? Should it be taken into consideration when I'm dealing with someone? The company message seems to be - yes.)

I am heading up a rather large and high profile project at the moment. One of the tasks involves creating a guide. On the cover are three pictures of people. This week, a discussion began at my desk about the ethnicity of one of these people. Someone was trying to decipher whether one of the pictures was an Asian guy. They are small pictures so it might be hard to tell for some. But the comments ran along the lines of... "Well, he does seem to have slanty eyes." And I was a little surprised to hear a comment like that.. especially from the person who it came from.. so at this point, I allowed part of the group on the team to decide what pictures they felt were appropriate for the cover of this thing. I wasn't going to get into a debate about what ethnicity the stock photos sent to us from the art department were. Afterall, I have a project to run and don't have time for superficial b.s.
Beamer

Postby selective_soldier » Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:50 pm

Odeh wrote:.I also got the non-verbal impression they were used to interacting with black people...

I would hope so considering most blacks live in the South.. :lol: Sorry, I had to say it.. :lol:

devilnuts wrote:LOL...Odeh...your post cracks me up. More people of color in higher positions? Who cares? Seriously, it really bothers me that people still even pay attention to that kind of sh*t anymore. The only reason that I refer to someone as black,white,mexican (or other origin if I know it),asian(again, more specific if I know it), American Indian (they give you bonus points if you remember to reference their tribe), etc. is so that someone will know which "Bill" I'm referring to. Same as when someone refers to me as "the guy with the green hair". Well, it's not green now, but it's merely an identifier. I mean, if white Bill would color his hair, then I could just say Bill (referring to the black Bill) and Bill with the funky hair. HAHAHA. Or shaved head. Or whatever.

Funny how some of us grew up in different states @ different times, yet adhere to the same out look when it comes to this. There may or may not be truths to Stereotypes. It's how we react to them is my thought..

I've had people here marvel at my accent. When friends tried to hook me up without my consent, I'm surprised, that my friends are surprised some of theses jokers have decided negatively & have yet to meet me.. :? Image What would I look like dating a Hill-Billy... Last I checked, Louisiana had no hills..Just ignorance unfolding...

I guess it takes all kinds..

Beamer wrote:
You should be in corporate America. I'm constantly barraged with references to skin color and sexual orientation, when all along I thought we weren't supposed to pay any attention to that stuff? I don't look at the people I work with and see an ethnicity - I see a personality. (Should I see ethnicity? Should it be taken into consideration when I'm dealing with someone? The company message seems to be - yes.)

I am heading up a rather large and high profile project at the moment. One of the tasks involves creating a guide. On the cover are three pictures of people. This week, a discussion began at my desk about the ethnicity of one of these people. Someone was trying to decipher whether one of the pictures was an Asian guy. They are small pictures so it might be hard to tell for some. But the comments ran along the lines of... "Well, he does seem to have slanty eyes." And I was a little surprised to hear a comment like that.. especially from the person who it came from.. so at this point, I allowed part of the group on the team to decide what pictures they felt were appropriate for the cover of this thing. I wasn't going to get into a debate about what ethnicity the stock photos sent to us from the art department were. Afterall, I have a project to run and don't have time for superficial b.s.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when they come across people who don't typify the immage they want to advertise.. :lol:

~OEF 2008- 2009~

selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby devilnuts » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:31 pm

Yeah, well, just because other dickheads want to be racist little shits doesn't mean that I have to be. And let them make their comments...I happen to have the number to HR at the ready.

You know, there is one thing to make jokes. There is this one guy at work that is a Mexican and his best friend is Navajo. When we all hang out and bullshit there are comments like "the Mexican", "the Injun", "the Wop", and "the Kraut". That's cool if you know the people and you guys have a relationship that gives you permission to joke around like that. Hell, every time I see them walking down the hallway I make a joke of grabbing my wallet and holding it in the air so they can't reach it...hahaha. But if someone who didn't know them said something, I'd be all over them in a heartbeat.
devilnuts

Postby Odeh » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:43 pm

Just made a personal observation and some people get defensive and suddenly color-blind...I notice things nowdays are about perceptions and
different groups precieve things differently based on generation,class,
income,race,ethnicity...and alot of times different perceptions of the same event clash in this country...

My point was some people in the rest of the country like to stereotype the
South as being conservative and bigoted and some of those people who
think that probably like to think the rest of the country is not like that..My
point was that the South is more progressive in some areas than some of
the Northern "liberal" areas...I was referring to the number of black professionals,businesses,colleges,politicans,doctors etc. when I said "higher positions"....but then as selective said..more American-Africans in the South...Iam done with this topic as I seemed to have opened up a "can of worms"...Americans have big sexual and racial hang-ups...anyway am done..my 2 cents...
Odeh

Postby devilnuts » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:37 pm

Odeh wrote:Just made a personal observation and some people get defensive and suddenly color-blind...I notice things nowdays are about perceptions and
income,race,ethnicity...and alot of times different perceptions of the same event clash in this country...

Whoa dude! Slow the hell down...I wasn't slamming or saying anything derogatory about you. I was just saying how I find it interesting that other people see things like that. If you came out here you'd probably say that a lot of the landscaping is done by Mexicans...and you'd be correct to say so. I made my post because you said that of an area that has a larger population percentage of black people...so it would only be fitting that a larger percentage of the people holding higher SE positions would be black. Just like here you'll find a larger percentage of Mexican people holding higher SE positions...it's all relative to where you are at.
devilnuts

Postby selective_soldier » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:17 pm

devilnuts wrote:
Odeh wrote:Just made a personal observation and some people get defensive and suddenly color-blind...I notice things nowdays are about perceptions and

Whoa dude! Slow the hell down...I wasn't slamming or saying anything derogatory about you. I was just saying how I find it interesting that other people see things like that.

Yeah, me too.. & anytime someone has light bulb moment, I'm tickled pink.. :D

Odeh, Your right people can get super sensitive about streotypes. That's why it's cool to talk about it . I think you, Devil Nuts, & myself brought up situations that can have people thinking differently when they put things into perspectives..

it's all good.. :D

~OEF 2008- 2009~

selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby devilnuts » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:29 pm

selective_soldier wrote:it's all good.. :D [/color]

No, I'm all good...hehehe :P :twisted: Okay...I'll share and let you guys be good as well...hehehe.
devilnuts

Postby stevestr » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:26 pm

My point was some people in the rest of the country like to stereotype the
South as being conservative and bigoted and some of those people who
think that probably like to think the rest of the country is not like that..My
point was that the South is more progressive in some areas than some of
the Northern "liberal" areas...I was referring to the number of black professionals,businesses,colleges,politicans,doctors etc. when I said "higher positions"....but then as selective said..more American-Africans in the South...Iam done with this topic as I seemed to have opened up a "can of worms"...Americans have big sexual and racial hang-ups...anyway am done..my 2 cents...

She sure got a lot off her chest now, didn't she? :twisted:
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby Odeh » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:58 pm

No, wasn't upset..devilnuts and selective you are right it all depends on what part of the country you are in...and one can get suprised when one
travels...

I have to say the East Coast is the best..from Philly on...like North/Central Jersey area and NYC as it is so metropolitian and so many different types of people...haven't gotten no further West than Chicago and Dallas...so I think the West Coast would be interesting...
Odeh

Postby Negate » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:10 pm

We East Side PPl RULE!
Certified rice queen.
Negate

Postby Xaphan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:40 pm

Negate wrote:We East Side PPl RULE!

Word.
Living in the desert.
Xaphan

Postby devilnuts » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:54 pm

Xaphan wrote:
Negate wrote:We East Side PPl RULE!

Word.

:?
devilnuts

PreviousNext

Return to Stereotypes