The Southern US Stereotype

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:20 pm

RedMenace wrote:I don't have time to read all these new posts. I'm trying to finish my Big Mac and supersized fries...hey, you want that pie or can I have the rest? :P

And that's a nice confederate flag you got on your antenna too "Bubba" :wink:

Postby RedMenace » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:42 pm

Well now, I couldn't rightly hang it from the back window in my pick up cab because that would interfere with my gunrack. 8)
RedMenace

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:48 pm

RedMenace wrote:Well now, I couldn't rightly hang it from the back window in my pick up cab because that would interfere with my gunrack. 8)

I've had that problem too.

So I'm just gonna solve that problem with the rear window, with a, Charlie Daniels holding the Confederate flag, window decal ! :lol: :wink:

It you still have some on those fries left save them. They don't go bad and there good with this PBR sixpack cans I got.

And by the way, there's a new all "ya can eat" catfish place, near "the highlands" check it out some time! :wink:

Postby paguy17551 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:33 pm

you two are makin' me chuckle ;-) :lol:

is it fried catfish and are there hushpuppies?
paguy17551

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:30 pm

paguy17551 wrote:you two are makin' me chuckle ;-) :lol:

I fer git you colored folk liket dem "hushpuppies" nearly as much as we! :wink: ain't no otherway but fish fried!

I know dat Normen can eat a mess of both, and all the fixins too. :lol:

Postby paguy17551 » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Far from Flaming wrote:

I fer git you colored folk liket dem "hushpuppies" nearly as much as we! :wink: ain't no otherway but fish fried!

he betta make them collards (without hamhocks to keep it kosher for ya), and a mess of fried chicken!!! :lol:
paguy17551

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:22 pm

paguy17551 wrote:
Far from Flaming wrote:

he betta make them collards (without hamhocks to keep it kosher for ya), and a mess of fried chicken!!! :lol:

I too much of a red neck to eat Kosher, if you really want to know the truth.

Greens with pork dripins will be just fine! :lol:

Postby Keithr118 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:03 am

I'm a city boy, but my mother is from South Carolina. Growing up, my brothers and I would spend summers down there, with cousins. NTS the experience as an adult is quite different.

My parents retired to the midlands of South Carolina (where she grew up) about five years ago. Aside from the cultural differences that exist, it's just too rural for me. Farm country. The land, the geography, the air, and way too flat. It's nice, actually beautiful, but not for me.
LET'S GO YANKEES!
Keithr118

Postby Smitty » Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:46 pm

Far from Flaming wrote:
paguy17551 wrote:
Far from Flaming wrote:

I too much of a red neck to eat Kosher, if you really want to know the truth.

Greens with pork dripins will be just fine! :lol:

You guys joke, but this is serious business as the following story indicates. :P
Appalled by pork-rind politics
Residents of Appalachia fear vote-buying allegations have hurt the town's image

BY REX BOWMAN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Feb 1, 2006

APPALACHIA -- Folks in the town of Appalachia are probably like people in other towns: They hope outsiders do not think of their community as a place where people trade their votes for pork rinds.

But in Appalachia, the fear that people will mistakenly conclude the town functions on a pork rind-based political economy is real. It became palpably so on Monday, when Virginia State Police agents seized documents from Town Hall, police headquarters and private residences as part of an investigation into vote fraud during a May 2004 Town Council election. That investigation began when one local woman told authorities a campaigner had offered to buy her vote for a pack of cigarettes and a bag of chicharrones, or fried pork skins.

Yesterday, Appalachia residents uniformly said the fatty-snack aspect of the scandal robs the town of a certain dignity.

"It don't look good," opined Jason Holmes, a 24-year-old coal miner, as he left the Pay Less grocery store.

"I saw that in the newspaper and I was like, wow," added Carlene Stout, a 50-year-old truck driver. "It makes the town look bad."

"Pork rinds? I thought it was pretzels," said one man who identified himself only as Glen. "Either way, it's ridiculous."

State police, under orders from a special prosecutor, are trying to determine if one or more candidates for three council seats fraudulently cast absentee ballots and tried to bribe voters with an assortment of low-budget vices including beer, cigarettes and pork rinds.

Link: Appalled by pork-rind politics
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby qwertz » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:30 pm

Julian Green was American, but did almost always write in French. He lived most of his life in Paris. He was gay.

His voice vibrated when he was talking about the old South.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julien_Green
qwertz

Postby Negate » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:37 pm

I got that alot from ppl from other states. "Wow you don't have a strong accent!?" Blah blah you're smart blah, wow, bliggity blah.
<----Imz In your forum sabotaging yah thredz.
Certified rice queen.
Negate

Postby GX » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:48 pm

I don't have any accent, though I don't know how. Most of the kinfolk in my family do. I've got family from Kentucky, North Carolina, and Tennessee. I have a Confederate battle flag too, which flies from the bedroom winder. The only two flags I wave....the Stars&Stripes and the Stars&Bars.
GX

Postby selective_soldier » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:16 pm

Southern Stereotypes;

Accents with the long drawl aren't always indicative someone is from the South.

In my opinion, :arrow: Expressing manners seem to be at a premium for most people who I know are from the South. Even some I've seen who are complete @$$holes to a degree. They still tip their hats to the ladies, open her the door, wish her a fine howdy do?
I've had lots of criticism directed at me for giving a lady my seat, or addressing a lady as 'Mam'.

:arrow: Child rearing seems to be different regarding the rearing of kids/ adolescents. There's a lot of that Spare the rod & Spoil the child' mentality in the South. & most firmly believe a child, ANYONE's child, is not an adult's equal. In the South you'll rarely find a someone young taking part in an adults conversation. & it wouldn't raise an eyebrow in some parts to have a stranger who is an adult correct someone young who's acting up.

:arrow: Going out of your way to be nice, help someone may be misinterpreted by "some" folk who are not from the South as flirting.. giving to get something.

:arrow: Appreciation of a strong work ethic still holds a stronger value than someone of an intellectual stature for "some" Southerners I know..

:arrow: A person giving their word/their name as their bond holds a lot of weight. & don't be surprised if they go out of their way to defend it.

:arrow: Southerners I've noticed (gay & str8) have an appreciation for someone with meat on their bones. Where it may be frowned upon in other parts.

:arrow: A flip side to the Southern Stereotypes is you won't find alternative school for kids who need them. I saw on TV this school in San Francisco Make it mandatory for teachers to put up posters about acceptance of students with alternative lifestyles in their class rooms. I thought that was cool. I've witnessed 1st hand in Social services, & seen news documentaries where "some" Southerner state's response to kids expressing an alternative lifestyle is to throw the bible at them..
selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby Smitty » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:37 pm

selective_soldier wrote:Southern Stereotypes; ...

I would say most of these characteristics aren't unique to the south. Rural, perhaps? Most are familiar to me from growing up in small town, blue collar Oregon.

The 'mam' thing. It worked for me when I was younger, but here it seems accepted only when the woman is OLDER - a sign of respect. Women younger than me - almost all women I meet, lol - DO NOT appreciate being called 'mam' and I've had a few say, "I'm not that old!"

Other courtesies I was taught - like greeting passersby on the street - DO NOT fly well in the big city. :lol:
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby kyinaz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:38 pm

edu999 wrote:The one stereotype that is stuck hard and fast to my brain is:

Southerner = evangelical = utterly convinced of his/her own moral superiority.

Intellectually, I know it isn't necessarily so, but all the same that's what I automatically assume on a gut level.

I consider myself a Southerner and somewhat intelligent (have an accent and a love for decadent grub ) and though I hate all stereotypes, the evangelical and ignorant southerner is one of the worst. Sure, there are plenty of evangelicals in the South but you can find the same closed-minded moral demagogues in any Red State and a few in the Blue ones, too. I went to a rural high school and now realize that I received a good education...even met enough smart people to be inspired to study Philosophy in college.

I grew up in Kentucky, not the Deep South but close enough, and I find that I miss the geniune warmth of the people in that state. Living in Arizona, which I also love, I've found that many people here have a hard time understanding that there are plenty of intelligent, aware and happy human beings in the South. I guess it's a unique experience that not many Northerners can get their head around. Stereotypes are far easier to work with than the real thing, but if I meet someone and they have a hard time taking me seriously because of my accent, it usually turns out that they're not worth getting to know.

In my experience, southern culture has an immediacy that I haven't found elsewhere in this country; it's far less homogenized than most places in the US. People are too proud. Also, when I am confronted by the stereotypical bigots, no matter their origin, I feel an obligation to stand up for my views and have done so many times without getting killed. I would almost rather argue and educate those bigots (many of which are just uneducated), than suffer the arrogance and snobbery that dominates most of middle america.

Basing your opinions on stereotypes, whether unconscious or willingly, is equally ignorant. Besides, the guys in the South are pretty damn hot.
kyinaz

Postby kyinaz » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:41 pm

selective_soldier wrote:Southern Stereotypes;

Accents with the long drawl aren't always indicative someone is from the South.

In my opinion, :arrow: Expressing manners seem to be at a premium for most people who I know are from the South. Even some I've seen who are complete @$$holes to a degree. They still tip their hats to the ladies, open her the door, wish her a fine howdy do?
I've had lots of criticism directed at me for giving a lady my seat, or addressing a lady as 'Mam'.

:arrow: Child rearing seems to be different regarding the rearing of kids/ adolescents. There's a lot of that Spare the rod & Spoil the child' mentality in the South. & most firmly believe a child, ANYONE's child, is not an adult's equal. In the South you'll rarely find a someone young taking part in an adults conversation. & it wouldn't raise an eyebrow in some parts to have a stranger who is an adult correct someone young who's acting up.

:arrow: Going out of your way to be nice, help someone may be misinterpreted by "some" folk who are not from the South as flirting.. giving to get something.

:arrow: Appreciation of a strong work ethic still holds a stronger value than someone of an intellectual stature for "some" Southerners I know..

:arrow: A person giving their word/their name as their bond holds a lot of weight. & don't be surprised if they go out of their way to defend it.

:arrow: Southerners I've noticed (gay & str8) have an appreciation for someone with meat on their bones. Where it may be frowned upon in other parts.

:arrow: A flip side to the Southern Stereotypes is you won't find alternative school for kids who need them. I saw on TV this school in San Francisco Make it mandatory for teachers to put up posters about acceptance of students with alternative lifestyles in their class rooms. I thought that was cool. I've witnessed 1st hand in Social services, & seen news documentaries where "some" Southerner state's response to kids expressing an alternative lifestyle is to throw the bible at them..

Well said and many of these ring very true.
kyinaz

Postby Texas_Thang » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:48 pm

In speaking to the alternative schools - the third high school for GLBT teens, a magnet school...was built in....

Dallas, Texas

Sometimes the truth is more surprising than fiction. It opened in 1997 closed in 2004 after being unable to secure accreditation because it did not have a secure revenue source for 3 running years.

They were hoping to reopen in 2006...I can't find any information as to whether they are going to or not online - but I know they march in the pride parade here every year to raise money.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby TNguy » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:15 pm

Being from Tennessee and from a very rural community, I am amazed at the people that act shocked when I hold the door open for them. Some ladies blush and don't say anything. Bothers me to a degree because I'm trying to be polite.

Oh oh... my favorite thing is holding the door open for a nice looking guy, especially as I'm going into the gym. WOW - I have sure got some interesting reactions.
TNguy

Postby Smitty » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:40 pm

Having started the thread, I just want to clarify that I did not mean to endorse Southern stereotypes or put anyone on the defensive.

I was more concerned about violent stereotypes that suggest northerners are not welcome - vigilantism and lynch mobs, Boss Hog sheriffs without the humor and inbred cretins ala Deliverance. I'm sure these things happen in the South, but they happen in other rural areas, too. The South, though, takes the hit. These cliche images appear again and again in movies and on television.

My thinking is that they aren't true - or no truer than anywhere else - and I was hoping to hear that from you Suth'n guys.

And I've wondered if the images aren't a residual attempt to keep the South down. They can't do much for tourism or attracting investment capital.
Smitty

Postby RedMenace » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:39 am

Smitty wrote:I was more concerned about violent stereotypes that suggest northerners are not welcome - vigilantism and lynch mobs, Boss Hog sheriffs without the humor and inbred cretins ala Deliverance. I'm sure these things happen in the South, but they happen in other rural areas, too. The South, though, takes the hit. These cliche images appear again and again in movies and on television.

How funny because for me, the violent sterotype is the north and the west coast. I've gotten this negative vibe about those places. There seemed to be an inherent distrust due to the violent nature of life and lack of honesty that seemed to be promoted there.
RedMenace

Postby edu999 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:58 am

The one thing that is related to the South and that I invariably associate with bigotry or violence (or at least the propensity for such) is the Stars & Bars. It's an almost automatic association for me, i.e. Stars & Bars = overt racism. Wrong or right in real life? Hell, I don't know. But that's how it clicks in my mind.
edu999

Postby foxeyes2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:16 am

edu999 wrote:The one thing that is related to the South and that I invariably associate with bigotry or violence (or at least the propensity for such) is the Stars & Bars. It's an almost automatic association for me, i.e. Stars & Bars = overt racism. Wrong or right in real life? Hell, I don't know. But that's how it clicks in my mind.

I am a Southerner so do you associate the Stars and Bars with me?
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby RedMenace » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:22 am

I grew up with that flag and to me it was just a piece of history-well that and a certain orange car that sped through the backroads of Georgia that looked suspiciously like southern California.
RedMenace

Postby edu999 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:32 am

foxeyes2 wrote:I am a Southerner so do you associate the Stars and Bars with me?

No, it doesn't work that way in my mind.

It's not "Southerners = Stars & Bars"... it's that "Stars & Bars comes from the South".

Clear as mud? :)
edu999

Postby foxeyes2 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:36 am

Oh okay, that makes sense because it is true that the Stars and Bars come from the South. I didn't follow your last post as well as I could have.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

PreviousNext

Return to Stereotypes