The Southern US Stereotype

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Postby Odeh » Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:18 pm

One guy had a book out..can't remember the title..but he basically
divided the country into different areas in terms of culture and mindset
I think it went: East Coast mentality, Southern mentality, midwest culture
Northern Cali and upwards..Southern Cali mindset...Western states..

Not sure where Chicago and Atlanta would fit in as they are big cities
that are midwestern and southern but they might have some East Coast features because of the size...and the north part of Florida seems
Southern in culture but on down like Orlando and Miami???hmmm..

my 2 cents..
Odeh

Postby edu999 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:09 pm

Xaphan wrote:
devilnuts wrote:
Xaphan wrote:
Negate wrote:We East Side PPl RULE!

Word.

:?

In the US it’s fairly well known that the order of coolness goes:

1) East Coast States down to Georgia
2) West Coast States
3) Landlocked States excluding West Virginia
4) Gulf Coast States
5) West Virginia

But love transcends coolness; so sometimes one must move up or down the ladder to be with the one he loves. :P

Hello from California. I MIGHT be willing to concede that New York is cooler than California, and maybe even Massachussetts... but New Jersey? Land-of-pod-people-Connecticut? Georgia?? I don't think so!

:P
edu999

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Beamer wrote:I am heading up a rather large and high profile project at the moment. One of the tasks involves creating a guide. On the cover are three pictures of people. This week, a discussion began at my desk about the ethnicity of one of these people. Someone was trying to decipher whether one of the pictures was an Asian guy. They are small pictures so it might be hard to tell for some. But the comments ran along the lines of... "Well, he does seem to have slanty eyes." .

LMAO!! :D

Postby GX » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:45 pm

South Florida is pretty much considered Yankeeland. I'm in north Florida and there is still a lot of South here...from the pick-up trucks to the Confederate flags everwhere. The neighbor down the road has this huge metal flag pole that he flies the stars and bars from.
GX

Postby notforfree » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:19 am

damn. i love the south. of course, everyone is right. people are basically the same everywhere. i grew up in arkansas and go to school in portland. i've met just as many rednecks in oregon as back home. esp. in the rural areas.

it seems to me, though, that the positive southern stereotypes more often hold true.
1. people in the south may be fatter, but it's because the food is. so. much. better. argh. keep your bland yankee mush!
2. things move at a slower pace down here. and that's the way we like it. even in the northwest (where they tout their friendliness) people are in too much of a hurry to really listen. when someone asks how you're doing in the south, they really want to know how you're doing. details!

also, i'd like to put on the record that i've noticed more racism in portland than i've EVER encountered in arkansas.

and laaaast:
it's really kinda terrible when yankees make fun of the south for being poor, illiterate, rural and ignorant. it took us forever to even begin to recover from reconstruction at the hands of yankee profiteers. that's the root of our perceived inferiority today, i think.

heh. i've come off as a bit of an angry southern rebel in this post...i'm really not! super liberal and all that. but the bum rap that the south so frequently gets (especially internationally) gets me down.
notforfree

Postby dracuscalico » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:36 am

Anonymous wrote:
Smitty wrote:Fundamental Christianity... not purely southern. When I was growing up in Oregon, my family believed in a literal interpretation of a corrupted and mistranslated King James Bible. Rural roots. My grandmother would spin in her grave if she knew I had 'Christ killer' friends.

Yes "Fundamentalist christianity" is "not purely southern"

Most people would believe that the Southern exsperience for Jewry, would be worse than other parts of the country.

This has not been historicly true at all.

http://www.thejewishpress.com/news_arti ... ticle=4991

Southern Jews did not face alot of the same Anti-semitism found in other parts of the country.

This was in part, because Southern Fundamentalists have a high regard for us people of the Bible.

In the old South, if you were Jewish, you would more than likely, only be called a "Christ killer" by a Catholic.

And that used to happen everywhere, because it was standard Catholic doctrine.

Is it also possible that the Jews were treated well because they controlled the textile industry that was so vital to the South's economy?
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby cumminsturbo88 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:58 pm

Ok I'm from Kentucky. I love old cars and diesel trucks and I just got back from deer hunting. I love guns and PBR (really I do). A lot of people think that because I'm from kentucky I automatically **** my sister. Well I don't have a sister and I'm not too imbred lol. I have noticed in my area that if a person is different in any way they are assumed to be retarded. Like me I'm half deaf. Well the only thing my highschool could offer me was "special" classes. But other than that the south is a much better way of life. Open fields and fresh air. I say let the yankees stereotype us, that just means they won't come to bother us. After all we might just ass rape them to banjo music lol. :wink:
Saying all gays have AIDS is like saying all Christians are Fred Phelps.
cumminsturbo88

Postby Cajun » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:08 pm

cumminsturbo88 wrote:Ok I'm from Kentucky. I love old cars and diesel trucks and I just got back from deer hunting. I love guns and PBR (really I do). A lot of people think that because I'm from kentucky I automatically **** my sister. Well I don't have a sister and I'm not too imbred lol. I have noticed in my area that if a person is different in any way they are assumed to be retarded. Like me I'm half deaf. Well the only thing my highschool could offer me was "special" classes. But other than that the south is a much better way of life. Open fields and fresh air. I say let the yankees stereotype us, that just means they won't come to bother us. After all we might just ass rape them to banjo music lol. :wink:

I can't believe you people slaughter those poor defenseless animals - how COULD you??????

HEHEHE........ :wink:

And simma down Paulie - he's only 19...... :twisted:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby cumminsturbo88 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:14 pm

I haven't killed any...... yet haha. I eat them so it's not all bad. And no I don't eat up a mess of opossum or raccoon roadkill. I just like deer and pheasant. Any one else from the south hunt?
cumminsturbo88

Postby Cajun » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:31 am

cumminsturbo88 wrote:I haven't killed any...... yet haha. I eat them so it's not all bad. And no I don't eat up a mess of opossum or raccoon roadkill. I just like deer and pheasant. Any one else from the south hunt?

Why you gotta be hatin' on Possum and Coon??? Check yur PM's, young man...... :P
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby DerWanderer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:40 pm

If I could just find where I put that dratted book...

I think I've got a recipe for possum lying around somewhere. Not that I've ever MADE it mind you...
DerWanderer

Postby cumminsturbo88 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:10 am

I have actually seen a few recipes for coon and opossum. And squirrel and horse. Seriously!
cumminsturbo88

Postby DerWanderer » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:10 am

Horse has fallen out of favor as a food staple, at least in North America, but once upon a time it was considered a reasonable fallback in absence of cattle. Head across the Pacific however, and you may find it on menus in a number of places.
DerWanderer

Postby olywaguy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:57 pm

Here are a few links that have possum recipes:

Three Possum Recipes

Possum Recipes

Baked Possum

The Possum Cookbook
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy