The Southern US Stereotype

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Postby beezer » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm with foxyeyes2. I didn't read edu's post as closely as I should at first and got really pissed off. (I had to quickly delete an angry post.) I truly hope that his comment was meant to state an example, not give an overgeneralization.

The stars and bars are not on the Georgia flag now. I grew up with it and didn't think twice. I didn't know how offensive it was to others until I went to college.

People sometimes fail to realize that racial tension and violence are not isolated to the south. In recent times, ask the people of LA, Toledo, Cincinnati, and many other large urban areas.
beezer

Postby GX » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:44 pm

If anyone wants me to take my flag down then they better get ready for a fight.

To me...it's just the same as if someone tried to shove religion down my throat. All these groups trying to force us to live some distasteful Yankee lifestyle. F them.
GX

Postby Smitty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:29 pm

GX wrote:If anyone wants me to take my flag down then they better get ready for a fight.

That flag has been associated with racism (by others?), but isn't it really a symbol of Southern unity, Southern identity?
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby GX » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:00 pm

Smitty wrote:
GX wrote:If anyone wants me to take my flag down then they better get ready for a fight.

That flag has been associated with racism (by others?), but isn't it really a symbol of Southern unity, Southern identity?

It's been stolen and disgraced by hate groups (just as they've taken other things that were good and used them for purposes they were not meant to be used).

The battle flag or naval jack are what you'll mostly see. The Southern Cross with a star for each state. It represents a numbers of things; Pride, tradition, courage to stand up for what you believe in, etc.
GX

Postby Smitty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:41 pm

GX wrote:It's been stolen and disgraced by hate groups...

That's what I needed to hear. That is consistent with what I observed of my Suth'n shipmates.
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby furface » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:47 pm

Same as the swastika. I had some Buddist friends in Virginia that have some hanging in their home. Neighborhood kids saw them through the window and painted NAZI on their garage door. :shock:

Swastika
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Smitty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:53 pm

furface wrote:Same as the swastika. I had some Buddist friends in Virginia that have some hanging in their home.

OK. I'm too lazy to look it up, but isn't the Nazi Swastica reversed left to right compared with the religious symbol?
Smitty

Postby Texas_Thang » Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:58 pm

IIRC, it was called "The Wheel of Life" when reversed and was a Native American symbol of some sort... feel free to debunk if I'm mistaken.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby GX » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:01 pm

I just wish people were less oblivious and did some research before they tag everyone that carries certain symbols, as racist.

I knew the swastika was another of those symbols that was corrupted.

I had my Southern flag hanging out in plain sight in my room when I was in the military. I never had any complaints from the hispanics and blacks in my unit about it. They knew what it was there for and knew that I was no racist. They were all my buddies and I hung out with them on a regular basis. If I was some kind of sheet wearing crossburner or Nazi...I doubt i'd have been pals with them. They weren't ignorant like a alot of others who seem to hate on everyone that flies the Southern flag, regardless of whether those people might be bigots or in most cases just displaying cultural pride.
GX

Postby GX » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:05 pm

Texas_Thang wrote:IIRC, it was called "The Wheel of Life" when reversed and was a Native American symbol of some sort... feel free to debunk if I'm mistaken.

Ask the Masons :lol:
http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/anti-masonry/swastika/
GX

Postby Smitty » Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:41 pm

GX wrote:They knew what it was there for and knew that I was no racist.

Eddy Murphy did a bit about being the only black on a bus filled with whites. When he got onboard everyone got quiet. He riffed for a few minutes on the idea that before he had gotten there all the whites were partying and having a high old time. A bit of black paranoia and it was hysterical because I think a lot of whites have the same feelings about blacks. Blacks are having a ball, then one white guy shows up and everyone gets quiet.

A large portion of the guys on the ships I served on were from the south. When we white boys were alone, I never heard the 'N' word. It wasn't a topic of discussion. It just didn't matter. It wasn't important.

I've always admired the ease - the relaxed state - of the guys I knew who were from the south. It was as if they were genetically on quaaludes.

Even when 'queers' were alluded to - I recall a guy from North Little Rock riffing on 'div'its' - an abbreviation of deviants. He was hysterical. He mocked 'div'its' but did it in a way that made mockers the butt of the joke.

*Sigh*. All is not what it appears on the surface.
Smitty

Postby furface » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:27 pm

The swastika has been used for mellenia in both the clockwise and anti-clockwise forms.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:00 pm

last year when I drove through Mississippi there was fecal matter in every urinal that I saw. Mississippians are unclean.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby foxeyes2 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:04 am

Bramasole_iowa wrote:last year when I drove through Mississippi there was fecal matter in every urinal that I saw. Mississippians are unclean.

Isn't that a rather broad and inflammatory statement?
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby Cajun » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:07 am

foxeyes2 wrote:
Bramasole_iowa wrote:last year when I drove through Mississippi there was fecal matter in every urinal that I saw. Mississippians are unclean.

Isn't that a rather broad and inflammatory statement?

It's also probably not true, since the urinals that he (a non-resident, just passing thru) used, were most propbably also used by other non-residents, just passing thru.

So maybe it's just the VISITORS to Mississippi who are unclean........ :shock:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby RedMenace » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:29 am

While in India it was quite a suprise to learn that what I had associated as a swastika, Nazi symbol was actually part of their Hindu tradition. Out in Irving I lived in an apartment complex that had a high number of Asian Indians living there. It was always a bit of a shock to see the symbol painted on the door of my neighbor. However I knew it had to do with blessing their new home. It was still a little amusing to see my visitors and even my mom looking a bit surprised and worried when seeing it.
RedMenace

Postby Creature » Tue May 30, 2006 5:59 pm

I am from North Florida. My family goes back here before statehood. It really is the South. Having said that, I find there are 2 versions of the South: The Christian version and the non religious bunch. Non religious southerners are casual, funny, and can be very liberal and open in terms of race and sexual identity. We all know what the other version is like.

I love being where I am from, but am also very happy that I made the decision to move to New York City when I was 20 years old.
Creature

Postby myk999 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:00 pm

Southern guys are hot and have a certain style about them. I am originally from eastern PA, north of Philadelphia, west of NYC. The people where I'm from are rude, unfriendly and will fight back. When I first moved out west, people would ask me why I didn't say 'hello'. I never grew up like that.

That aside; I really think that the north and west (which is made up of the north) feel pressed to demonize the south. They make southerns look like the most racist, hateful people in the world. In reality, where I'm from is 10 times more racist than anything I've seen in the south. There were strict bountries at my high school. Black people only used one certain bathroom and whites never went in there. I think the media like to project southerns as monsters so they don't have to look at themselves.
myk999

Postby Gaydudelaf » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:56 am

myk999 wrote:Southern guys are hot and have a certain style about them. I am originally from eastern PA, north of Philadelphia, west of NYC. The people where I'm from are rude, unfriendly and will fight back. When I first moved out west, people would ask me why I didn't say 'hello'. I never grew up like that.

That aside; I really think that the north and west (which is made up of the north) feel pressed to demonize the south. They make southerns look like the most racist, hateful people in the world. In reality, where I'm from is 10 times more racist than anything I've seen in the south. There were strict bountries at my high school. Black people only used one certain bathroom and whites never went in there. I think the media like to project southerns as monsters so they don't have to look at themselves.

I had a friend in college from Coopersburg and another from Allentown. Cole is from Erie and I love the way he talks.

Ok now to my point. I lived most of my life in the South. I think you might be right. Not speaking of racism but gay rights, I notice pockets of biggotry throughout the country in different areas. I can say that some of the nicest people live in the south, but its been my experience, in the polls, that there are a lot of pockets of biggotry in the south. I also know that in the south a political candidate wouldnt be caught dead in a pride parade and up here in Minneapolis, political figures made up almost half of who was in the parade.
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby JakeMIke » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:22 am

I'm from Allentown, too, Chip. Now you know two.

I think the Southerners are much more polite and easier to get along with. Northerners are in your face and have a lot of attitude. I live in Baltimore now, and the people are much more laid back.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby bostonboy183 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:44 am

Hey all,

Sorry I have not been around much lately.. I have been really busy with my new job, which is going great.

I am enjoying working and living in Florida so much right now… Florida is a weird state because it is a southern state with pockets of northerners. It is also very diverse – so you get the best of all worlds.

Eric
bostonboy183

Postby Gaydudelaf » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:04 am

JakeMIke wrote:I'm from Allentown, too, Chip. Now you know two.

I think the Southerners are much more polite and easier to get along with. Northerners are in your face and have a lot of attitude. I live in Baltimore now, and the people are much more laid back.

One thing I miss about the south is getting together at peoples houses. They don't do that much here.
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Postby selective_soldier » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Gaydudelaf wrote:One thing I miss about the south is getting together at peoples houses.

ImageImageImage

They don't do that much here.

Image Image
selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby selective_soldier » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:57 pm

:arrow: South
Undoubtedly the most interestingly different and exotic part of the country. A region with many stereotypes, some true, some not.
The media portrays the South as a region of rednecks and hillbillies, which is stupid, because every state has people like this, they just refuse to admit it. As for racism, this is such a stupid stereotype because blacks and whites have existed together for hundreds of years. We are use to each other by now. From what I've heard, racism is a lot worse in places like LA with it's childish gangs.
Most of the stereotypes are not true for everyone, but they are more common in people from the South.
Examples:
Trucks: Every other person has one and we like them big.
Southern accents: Southerners speak in a manner that the rest of the country considers 'country,' but to us it is just Southern.
Southern Hospitality: If you've been here you've been subject to this.
Country Cookin': The rest of the country calls this Southern cooking. Consists of things such as fried chicken, mac & cheese or tomatoes, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans, black eyed peas, country fried steak, fried catfish, hog jowl, biscuits & gravy, cathead rolls and sorghum, grits, pork barbeque, sweet tea. Just to name a few.
Outdoors men: people who like to hunt, fish, farm, play football.
Slower pace: this is mainly because the South has always been extremely rural and agrarian, until places like Atlanta started popping up.
Southern Pride: The South is the only part of the country where people are actually proud to be from as are they proud to be American.
Yankees: Yes it is true that most Southerners do not like northerners. This is due mainly to the War.
So let go of your bad stereotypes and come check it out. Just don't move here because due to a huge influx of non-Southerners moving to Atlanta, it is no longer a Southern city.

"Born and raised in the South"

:arrow: term used to refer to the lower, warmer states in the USA; most are known for having played roles in the Civil War. Often times the people are stereotyped as being closed minded bigots or inbreeding cultural deficient folk. THIS IS A LIE! Southerners are renowned for their hospitallity though this is not true for all. Yes, most of the Southern states played a part in the pro-slave side of the Civil War but people today are more open-minded and educated. People of today can not be blamed for events beyond their control. Also fabled for greasy, salty fattening foods. I need only point out to a northern McDonalds to prove that this is a common misconception although we do make pretty good fried chicken.

:arrow: a place that is usually related to many stereo-types. Some of them are true.
Trucks: all the guys have 'em and girls like 'em big and dirty

:arrow: Southern Hospitality: yeh, thats right, we are down right nice people. we bring you in and cook for ya

:arrow: "Southern" accent/language: yes, we have accents. Some are more "country" than others. The accents are sweet and delicate and the ONLY way to talk. As for our language....its Y'ALL not you all.

GRITS: girls raised in the south. We are sweet and sincere people. we are quite simple and very appealing to guys all over! we love our southern boys!
Southern Cookin: HOMEMADE, fried chicken, GRITS and mac & cheese. I dont care who ya are, if you dont like southern cookin...something is wrong with you

:arrow: religion: we have to types of religion down here.....Sunday Mornin religion: EVERYONE goes to church and has known every single person in that church their entire life. THEN there is our College Football religion: UGA all the way. every saturday, the family & friends gather around the tv to watch football. steaks are goin on the grill and beer for everyone! WE LOVE FOOTBALL

:arrow: great weather: yeh....it can get pretty dern hot down here but at least we dont have to deal with the freezing cold. Snowy football games are no fun

:arrow: small towns: oh there are SO many small towns in the south. But its the only way we would have it. the "city" (atlanta) is far too busy for us simple folk to handle. we like knowing everyone that lives in a 20 mile radius of us.

:arrow: PARTY!!!: yes, there are parties all over the country but the south has some of the best. We dont like frilly or fancy parties that take place in "night clubs" a good 'ole barn party is where its at. We are rowdie people. parties are what we do!

:arrow: YANKEES: yes....most southerners flinch at the sound of "yankee" but thats because their way of livin' is wierd to us. We love football and UGA. They love hockey and wierd things such as the cold. People up there are too high maitenence.....we throw on some jeans and a tank top and we are good to go. Maybe thats why the guys from all over just love a good ole southern belle. oh yeh, the yankees might have won the civil war but the south shall rise again!!!!

the south is where its at tags south tradition rowdie
by G.R.I.T.S. savannah Oct 16, 2005 email it

:arrow: south The best place in the world to live. Usually characterized as being home to racists, in-breeds, and red-necks that own pick-up trucks and famrs. Which could not be farther from the truth. Also most in-bred people aren't from the south they are from west virginia. And if you don't belive me go to that state and see for your self. Alot of southerners do hate Yankees though. Consists of North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia.

:arrow: A fairly large region of the United States. It consists of North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma, and the southern half of Virginia. Sometimes Florida is considered part of the South. Kentucky and Missouri are NOT the South. Because of some Southern cultural and social connections, these two states are often considered Southern, but they are Midwestern states.

1. Okay, so to get from Indianapolis to Louisville, you'll have to go south.

2. Missouri and Kentucky are not the South because they had large numbers of Irish and German immigrants, they didn't have strong institutions of slavery, and a lot of the people don't even sound Southern; they have neutral-sounding North or South Midland accents. Only the southernmost third of Kentucky and the southernmost parts of Missouri have truly "southern-sounding" people. Plus most of their economic ties are with their fellow Northern states around them, lots of people in Kentucky are descended from Pennsylvanians who came to Kentucky when it was the frontier in the late 1700s, and the overwhelming majority of both Kentuckians and Missourians fought for the North during the Civil War.

tags the north south kentucky

6. south

Often mistakenly known as the states that seceded from the Union during the Civil War, it is actually a geographic area of the US states that lie south of the Mason-Dixon Line and the Ohio River, and also the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. The South consists of the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.

That idiot I met on spring break actually thought Boston was in Maryland, surprised he was when I informed him that Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon Line.

:arrow: south
The South is Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas and sometimes Florida and Oklahoma. Texas is especially the South cause we embrace our Southernness without shame. The South rules.

:arrow: south. place where you go to live if you wanna make crappy wages, be surrounded by hicks , or if you move to a city niggers, sweat your ass off in the summer and freeze your ass off in the winter. most southern girls are ugly and most southern guys are idiots. keeps the 'manufactured home' (aka trailor) industry in business. a cultural wasteland. the people cannot let go of a war that happened 140 years ago.

the south is the butthole, armpit, and scrotum of the united states.

:arrow: Southerners are perceived to be ignorant imbeciles with the inability to speak correctly. More than not, that is true, but some of us do know how to say can't instead of caint. Not everyone in the south are as stupid as America makes them out to be. Mississippi may be one of the lowest performing states in the education department, but some of us are well-educated. Not everyone here is a pick- up truck driving, cotton picking, racist rebel, and I don't know why people think that we are...

selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby SportsOutdoorsGA » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:24 pm

I hate that I'm so late to this topic, considering I grew up in Alabama and now live in Georgia. lol
SportsOutdoorsGA

PreviousNext

Return to Stereotypes