Butch Up The Bachelor Pad.

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Butch Up The Bachelor Pad.

Postby selective_soldier » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:05 am

If you’re "out" & everyone knows you’re "out", cool deal. This spans from an old topic Butch Up The Bachelor Pad.. D-Gay the home before nosy company comes over, same concept. Something that looks, gasp.. smells like a real dude lives here.

A new one I'm noticing
:arrow: having pictures of kids in not -so obvious spots.

:arrow: I notice a lot of “str8” single guy friends have brighter colors patterns for their rooms etc.. as there a memo I missed?

:arrow: The less food in the fridge, the more you look like the macaroni making male.

:arrow: The bathroom has to have the appearance of being un-kept... :?
"Those who are most difficult to love, need the most love."

~OEF 2008- 2009~

Take care of each other. Differences & not.
selective_soldier
Site Admin

Re: Butch Up The Bachelor Pad.

Postby butch » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:37 am

I did my annual bathroom cleanup this week. Got to start the new year right.

Having been a photographer of note of male nudes, there will be no mistaking my sexual orientation in my home.

I like to rotate some of my favourite photos and models but usually have have about 6 on display. I guess I've made several thousand photos in my life, so it's nice to see some of them.

Oh... also did the annual fridge cleanup too. Not that there's ever much in there but milk and yogurt, maybe a loaf of bread once in a while.
I make a mean peanut butter sandwich and a pretty good bowl of granola, but my cooking skills don't much extend beyond that. Oh... I can cook rice without screwing it up.

I like my place but there's no hiding the G factor... I'd probably make a good interior decorator. I guess that's a giveaway too.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Annual bathroom cleanup? Yikes. :shock:

I'm pretty bad with that, too. I scrub the shower once a year whether it needs it or not. Toilet as necessary. ie. after I have the splats :P

Cooking should be taught in school, no? A life skill? Hello? I don't see many people needing all that algebra crapola. :roll:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby selective_soldier » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Earl, You're a riot
"Those who are most difficult to love, need the most love."

~OEF 2008- 2009~

Take care of each other. Differences & not.
selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby ispeaktexan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:54 pm

Hmm well I dislike cleaning a lot.
And im pretty messy.
I don't decorate well.
And i put random weird things up...

I wouldn't make a good interior decorator. And from my room i don't think you could tell my orientation.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Ben » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:30 pm

I hate cleaning. It's boring and it feels futile.
I think that's what shielded me from most homo-suspicions over the last decade.

However, I keep all my bank slots and gear in World of Warcraft DAMN tidy and organized... :lol:
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

Postby Cajun » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 pm

Bank slots????

Gurl, I'm afraid to ask..........
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby ispeaktexan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 pm

I keep all my vid games organized.
And I keep my music, video, and picture collections (On computers) pretty organized. In general i can organize everything on my computer really well. (I dislike having icons on the desktop).
And for some reason i have my vid games in alphabetical order on the shelf in the cases. But everything else....is thrown all over the place.
Funny thing is, i have a place for everything and everything is in its place.
My parents who are very neat, can never find anything and in my room where everything is all over the place i can walk in and find exactly what i'm looking for.
The only kind of cleaning up i do, is picking stuff up off the floor and taking dirty dishes to the living room.
Other than that, once in a while we have someone that cleans our house.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:59 pm

LOL!!! I have a huge pile of laundry in the bedroom that I've been meaning to tackle. Hopefully tomorrow. And I put up a book shelf in the bedroom over the holidays. Maybe I should put the books there too? Maybe tomorrow. And my gym clothes need a worsh too, maybe...tomorrow! I had a girl that used to clean the house too, then I married her and created a job opening.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 pm

nimby wrote:LOL!!! I have a huge pile of laundry in the bedroom that I've been meaning to tackle. Hopefully tomorrow. And I put up a book shelf in the bedroom over the holidays. Maybe I should put the books there too? Maybe tomorrow. And my gym clothes need a worsh too, maybe...tomorrow! I had a girl that used to clean the house too, then I married her and created a job opening.

Wow! Nice. Well now you have to find someone to fill that job opening......
I rarely hang my clothes...I hate it, after laundry days i hate hanging clothes so sometimes i don't do it at all. And i don't make my bed at all most of the time.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:19 pm

ispeaktexan wrote:The only kind of cleaning up i do, is picking stuff up off the floor and taking dirty dishes to the living room.

Ummm, Tex, honey? I'm almost afraid to ask... Is there a reason those dirty dishes only make it as far as the living room? Do you not have kitchen privileges? :shock: (and by the way...yuck!)

Cajun wrote:Bank slots???? Gurl, I'm afraid to ask..........

Well, I'm not... :? Ben, please enlighten me as I have absolutely no idea to what you are referring. (BTW - Yay, Ben's back!! 8) )
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby nimby » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:54 pm

ispeaktexan wrote:
nimby wrote:LOL!!! I have a huge pile of laundry in the bedroom that I've been meaning to tackle. Hopefully tomorrow. And I put up a book shelf in the bedroom over the holidays. Maybe I should put the books there too? Maybe tomorrow. And my gym clothes need a worsh too, maybe...tomorrow! I had a girl that used to clean the house too, then I married her and created a job opening.

Wow! Nice. Well now you have to find someone to fill that job opening......

I think I just did :lol: :

"Ever wonder what it be be like to have nude housecleaners like in Europe? Well here`s you`re chance,I`m a 22 year old guy from Edmonton starting such a company.Basically I`ll do most housekeeping completly naked,or mayby you don`t really need cleaning, but just wan`t a little naked company for a couple hours.I will not perform actuall intercourse but a little bit of light touching and stuff is fine.So if you`r interressted in something different give me a shout at :... "

Hmmm. If I trade in a 44 y/o, doI get two 22 year olds?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby JustJack » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 am

Hey Nimby, something went wrong with the transmission there. Somehow the phone number didn't make it through. I sit here patiently with phone in hand hoping it will make it. My umm, house could sure use a cleaning. Yep. hehe

Actually, I'd be more likely to trade in two 22 year olds for a 44 year old. But that's just me.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not your sport.
JustJack

Postby nimby » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:36 am

Well, I thought I'd leave your phone number off here, you know, for privacy sake. But I have it :wink:

And I'm only 40. Will that do or should I wait 4 years? LOL!!!!!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:59 am

I have a different problem.

I am out, all my family, buddies, car racing acquaintances, hell it even says on my facebook I am looking for men, etc.. but some people still ask me if I am "sure" I am gay or just playing a joke, because of how my stuff is.. be it clothing, house, cars I drive, hobbies etc... I just couldn't give a rats ass lol.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:55 pm

Schlodesss wrote:I have a different problem.

I am out, all my family, buddies, car racing acquaintances, hell it even says on my facebook I am looking for men, etc.. but some people still ask me if I am "sure" I am gay or just playing a joke, because of how my stuff is.. be it clothing, house, cars I drive, hobbies etc... I just couldn't give a rats ass lol.

It really shouldn't matter neither.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:58 pm

To me all this say is how much gays are stereotyped generally speakingin straight society. :(
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby Schlodesss » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:59 am

Well Daknee...

I have to say it has been my experience, that people do tend to stereotype and like to be able to compartmentalize stuff so that it fits the way THEY want it to even if that's not how it is.

On the other hand, the stereotypes, I have found, do very often exist.... so I think all that is happening is people meet.. and in often cases not only "a" gay guy but their first... gay person who is a friend or family member and it's totally not what they expect... ya know?

I dunno what the solution is.. but.. nevertheless this is what happens to me a lot. "You sure you're Gay?? Cmon........ you ain't just phuking with us...?". "No man I am Gay...".
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Daknee » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:00 am

Yes, the stereotypes exit, but for someone to think all is a shame. Do Black people like to eat watermelon and dance? Yes, I'm sure some do but to say all and assume ALL to is a shame :( .
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby stevestr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:37 am

You have a Facebook?
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby Schlodesss » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:54 am

Steve ya.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Marvinteck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:53 am

There is no mistaking my apartment for anything but a bachelor pad. I live with my younger brother who is also an bachelor.
Our fridge and cabinets are pretty bare, dishes in sink, dirty bathroom, un-vacuumed floor, and general disarray all through out the house. We try to keep smells down to a minimum by making sure anything that can spoil is promptly discarded. It does feel good when the house is all cleaned up and not cluttered with things all shrewn about. We are just to lazy to clean every day. Our decorative style is minimalistic with two pictures hanging up on the wall.
Marvinteck

Postby Marvinteck » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:07 pm

butch wrote:I did my annual bathroom cleanup this week. Got to start the new year right.

OMG uugh...... The cleaning of the bathroom of an bachelor........ Ill spare ya the details but think I should call Amnesty International on myself. LOL, Just cleaned my bathroom.
Marvinteck

Postby LtotheP » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:29 pm

Im not to sure if you could tell anything about me being gay from my room, maybe from the music I play once in a while...but dammit I like everything, and what can I do if I like a Kylie Minogue song?

Other than that I think my apartment is relatively clean... I clean up the bathroom at least once every other week, and always try and keep my dishes done up, and while Im not a pro cook, I do know how to cook so I usually have a fridge full (or rather my half is full). As far as decorating goes, I have a Dino's schedule on the wall, but that's about it, and I constantly spray frebreze to keep any smell away. I dont think it's a "butch" apartment...but its def not from Ikea either.
LtotheP

Postby Guinness Fan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:57 am

If you were to wander into my place, I doubt you'd conclude that a gay guy lived there...But, if your gay-dar were properly calibrated, you'd probably key on;

~ all my shirts are heavily startched and hanging neatly in my closet ~ white and blue are the only colors.
~ all my suits are dark gray, blue or brown ~ arranged by color
~ my shoes are all black or brown lace-ups...all polished
~ all my furniture is solid wood ~ no fiberboard
~ I have a thing for early -mid 20th century appliances; Bakelite tube radio, Art Deco bar, Mission-style & Deco lamps, 1950's juicer, roll top desk, manual typewriter, ' 30's English rotary telephone
~ the stuff hanging on the walls is primarily historical in nature
~ a helluva lot of books in bookcases

I tend to be a bit of a neat-freak, so the bathroom & kitchen are always spotless, no dishes in the sink, the furniture dusted & the bed always made.

Geeze, reading the above, I sound like an anal-retentive loser!!! :shock:
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Stereotypes