Affectionate Gay Couple at Sportsbar

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

Affectionate Gay Couple at Sportsbar

Postby Learning » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:19 pm

ABC news used hidden cameras to capture surprising reactions to an affectionate gay couple in a sports bar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD97D6OEV80

When people react negatively to gay couples is that because they don't like seeing two men together or does it have to do with the effeminate style of the couple? Are the negative reactions coming from homophobia or what author Tim Bergling calls "sissyphobia"?
Learning

Postby Odeh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:22 am

Because physical contact and intimacy among western men is a taboo...
Odeh

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:32 am

They're a couple of modifications I would've made to this experiment. I would have had a masculine gay couple in the bar as well. They would act fairly normal showing their attraction to each other but nothing over the top.

As for the straight couple I would have tuned their behavior up more. I think part of the problem was the gay couple was acting stereotypically gay and somewhat over the top in behavior while the straight couple did nothing of that nature.

I could see part of the issue being they were so over the top in expressing affection toward each other. If it was toned down I wonder if people would react the same.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:05 am

I have straight friends who are so emotionally needy that they have to make out in restaurants and on one occasion were doing it across the table from me, and it was only the three of us at the table; talk about awkward!
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby michaelk69 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:18 am

I agree that I don't want to see ANYone making out in a bar, gay or straight . . .

However, having said that, I am glad that I took the time to watch this. It was actually pretty positive - the only real guy causing any problems was an actor who was in on it all!

Good for those people who stood up to him, they're awesome . ..
michaelk69

Postby Odeh » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Would anyone have said something if the couple in question were two
hyper-masculine rough-looking bodybuilders with tattoos making out??

I think not...
Odeh

Postby batty » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:49 pm

Phoenix6570 wrote:They're a couple of modifications I would've made to this experiment. I would have had a masculine gay couple in the bar as well. They would act fairly normal showing their attraction to each other but nothing over the top.

As for the straight couple I would have tuned their behavior up more. I think part of the problem was the gay couple was acting stereotypically gay and somewhat over the top in behavior while the straight couple did nothing of that nature.

I could see part of the issue being they were so over the top in expressing affection toward each other. If it was toned down I wonder if people would react the same.

I agree with you Pheonix, they went a little too extreme and it's as if they were comparing apples with oranges. And just look at how the gay couple was dressed compared to the other patrons. They were not dressed for suburbia and stuck out like a sore thumb. It'd be like wearing a hoodie at the Ritz, you'd elicit comments regardless of your sexual orientation.
batty

Postby chidiver » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 am

From Today's Chicago Tribune:
Check out the reader comments at the end of the article (see link) they are even more idiotic that usual for Trib. readers.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 1226.story

Peoria gays react to unwelcome sign

By Erika Slife | TRIBUNE REPORTER
April 17, 2009

In bright yellow capital letters, the sign on the karaoke bar in downtown Peoria was clear: "WE ARE NOT A GAY BAR!!"

The local gay community got the message. And it apparently was just the rallying cry it needed.

In a flurry of forwarded Facebook, MySpace and text messages, a coalition quickly mobilized and dozens of gay rights supporters lined up last weekend outside The Elbo Room to express their outrage. The sign, they said, might as well have read, "Gays are not welcome here."

"The sign was basically a sign of intolerance, and we're not going to stand for it anymore," said Stephanie Worlow, 27, one of the organizers of the protest that drew nearly 40 people. "It's time that we as a community stand up for ourselves. We're not going to stand for intolerance anymore."

The group held three protests last weekend, one of which drew the attention of paintballers, who fired on the crowd. Police had no suspects in that attack.

On the heels of Iowa and Vermont legalizing gay marriage this month the gay community in Peoria—a substantial but previously low-key population—said it had already started to find its voice. Three months ago, a Web site, outandaboutillinois.com, was launched to connect the gay community. And protesters last week formed a group called One World, One Equality and planned to go to Springfield this month along with other gay-rights supporters to lobby for civil unions.

"This is the first time we've mobilized for a situation like that," said Dawn Scally, 35, of Peoria Heights. "Let's finally do something and get together and stop taking everything as it comes. Let's take a stand and try to have a voice for the community."

For decades, the bar on Main Street had been called the Quench Room and was known as a gay bar, longtime residents said. In the 1990s, ownership changed hands and it became a karaoke bar, said Peoria Councilwoman Barbara Van Auken, whose district includes the bar. Although gay patrons continued to frequent the spot, tensions between them and the bar owner have boiled over recently concerning public displays of affection, according to the gay customers.

"I had my hand on my girlfriend's knee and I was told, 'We don't do that in this bar,' " Scally said.

The bar owner, Greg Quast, could not be reached for comment. But he issued a statement apologizing for the sign, saying he's taken action to ensure it does not happen again. Van Auken warned that it better not; the city has already notified him the sign violated state law.

"You can't give notice to the effect that certain protected groups are not welcome," she said.

Nick Stroman, 33, said he was shocked by the movement that he unwittingly helped ignite. Stroman was the one who snapped a photo of the sign and sent it out to his friends by text and Internet. The next day, his phone was flooded with responses.

As a result, Stroman and other protesters have vowed to never go back to the bar.

"I didn't do this to start up a coalition. I didn't organize the group, organize the rally," Stroman said. "I'm far from the militant person with my fist in the air at a rally. It just surprises me that in this day in age, that this stuff is still happening."
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:22 am

Peoria gays react to unwelcome sign

Isn't Peoria supposed to the the microcosm of America that we're supposed to use as a yardstick for the rest of the country? There's an old saying, "If it plays in Peoria..."
jkav
Veteran Member

Return to Stereotypes