The gay diet

Are all hairdressers fem boys? Are all construction workers macho? Explore stereotypes on these and other issues here.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, charmcitywop

The gay diet

Postby jkav » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:12 am

I notice a lot of gay guys at my local grocery store, and when I'm not looking at them, I'm paying attention to what they buy. It seems like gay guys buy more free range/organic/health food than do non-gay guys. I see a lot of trail mix being purchased, as well. In the meantime, the items in my cart are decidedly non-gay. I have never bought a baguette, fennel, leeks or sorbet. It reminds me of a bit David Cross does in his stand-up act about gays ordering pizza.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-w7XEEFyvs

Maybe I should leave a trail or granola and leeks leading to my apartment...
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby blackmet » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:30 am

I prefer menthols and Mountain Dew.

The only thing I buy organic are these chicken breasts from Super Target. $5 for 4, each individually packed, and taste great after being put on the George Foreman.
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:00 am

I'm a Diet Dr. Pepper and Cheez Doodle man myself..... :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby michaelk69 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:25 am

Guilty as charged. I buy a lot of that kind of stuff. But so does my sister? And my parents? And Mark's (straight) brother? So I'm not sure if it is a gay thing or not - I think that some people are just more healthy-conscious than others, gay or straight.

When i was in my 20s, i'd eat any old crap - Doritos, Burger King, Coke - and I was just as gay then as I am now, lol . . .
michaelk69

Postby njguy5 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:32 am

michaelk69 wrote:When i was in my 20s, i'd eat any old crap - Doritos, Burger King, Coke - and I was just as gay then as I am now, lol . . .

Did your diet also include Entenmann's? :P
My Dad always told me..."If you want the truth, follow the money."
njguy5

Postby olywaguy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:29 am

Well, that's the mainstay diet in the Pacific Northwest. The college I work at has its own organic farm. There are lots of farmer's markets, co-ops and such where people can find fresh produce.

Also, as a result of my diabetes and sensitivity towards wheat/gluten, I've had to change my diet and am still working on that process.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby edu999 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:42 am

I don't exert too much effort, but whenever there's an easy choice I always go for organic. And I love farmers' markets. The only thing I try really hard to do is NOT to buy produce shipped in from lands far, far away. No tomatoes from Mexico, no cherries from Chile. I'm not 100% successful with that -- ain't no such thing as a Northern California banana -- but I do try.
edu999

Postby GX » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:43 am

Anything fried and dripping grease is usually good enough for me. :lol:
GX

Postby Phoenix6570 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:50 am

I try to eat healthy, hardly get anything organic though. When I'm back at home from school I tend to eat a lot more junk food. At least when I'm at school I tend to stick with a healthier diet.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Re: The gay diet

Postby DeckApe » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:57 am

jkav wrote:In the meantime, the items in my cart are decidedly non-gay.

That's why you're here, sir. :wink:

Um... organic items in my shopping cart? Not many. A few exceptions: the organic toaster pastries from Costco (read: generic pop-tarts) are superior to the 'real thing' in every way. Ditto Safeway's "O" whole wheat pasta. I'm slowly leaning toward organic, but not hugely. There are things still listed on the ingredien panels that I wouldn't think occur in nature.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:33 pm

So you know the guys in the store are gay because...?

While I do not go out of my way to buy organic, for Drexel, some things HAVE to be organic. He has to have organic, free range eggs. He says he can taste a difference...I can't. But I suppose if it helps reduce our mark on the environment, then I'll go along with it. Which is pretty much why I go along with most of his organic choices. I don't think attempting to limit the damage done to the environment is a queer trait. Go to Whole Foods, Sunflower Market, Sprouts, Wild Oats, or any of the many other "specialty" food stores and you will people from all walks of life. Many people have just come to the realization that there is a lot more to reducing the impact on the environment than just buying a vehicle with better fuel efficiency. And if it were only a gay trait, then the humans are f**ked!

Anyway, I don't usually notice a taste difference. I usually don't notice much difference, but there are a few things that I do like. Fresh is usually much better for me. I like my bread fresh. You mention baguettes...try one some time. They are great for small sandwiches for lunch. And your grocery store usually makes them fresh, without double wrapping them in plastic as most shipped brands do.

Never bought a leek? You've never cooked an asian meal? Leeks are used in so many dishes. That's like cooking italian without tomatoes...hahaha. I use them for stir fry and when I make eggrolls and gyoza.

Anyway...that's just my take on it. If you happen to see more "gay" guys buying those things, it is probably because you are watching them way more when you are in the store than you are some straight woman with three kids in tow. HAHAHA :wink:
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby J » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 pm

I actually bought a lot of stuff last night. And since I've been eating pizza and potato chips most of the time, I forced myself to go more well, "healthy". This meant 8 bags of those frozen veggies you "steam" in the microwave (I HATE to cook, so those are perfect for me), about 12 "clif" bars and a case of 10 slim-fast shakes as meal replacements, 6 "lean cuisines" (again, the microwave only thing), skim milk, some cereal (of course), a 24-pack of "string cheese", sugar-free (I meant sugar-LESS) red bulls, about 4 boxes of those "boca burgers" and fat free American cheese. And to top it all off, a liter of Bacardi 151. I just crossed the 185 pound mark (after being 170-ish in the fall) so I need at least one thing to keep me sane. But I do intend on getting back down to 165-170, where I want to be. I did get some ADD meds refilled (yeah so they're amphetamines, shut up all you "narc" hags), and I'm never hungry when I'm taking them. So I'm hoping to be down 20 or so pounds in a month or so,. between the lousy "food", walking everywhere and the (yeah, go ahead, say it) SPEED. Anyone who knows me, knows that I will always and only do what I want, and I'm still alive and (I'd like to believe) well, despite a certain former poster predicting I wouldn't live to see 30, I'll see 100, simply because I was MEANT to. So I have to buy gay health food. I'll starve (mostly mentally), but I'll live!
J

Postby jkav » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:58 pm

devilnuts wrote:If you happen to see more "gay" guys buying those things, it is probably because you are watching them way more when you are in the store than you are some straight woman with three kids in tow. HAHAHA :wink:

Good point! :lol:
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby solitaryman1969 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:04 pm

I had a meeting with a nutritionist earlier in the week, and with my goal of reaching 175 lbs, with muscle and dropping my body fat from 14% to 10%, I have increase my intake of food to 2500 calories per day.

It's going to be tough, especially with my allergies: no dairy, no seafood, no nuts, plus the only meat I eat is chicken.

I so need a chef or those prepared meal plans, then it would be so much easier to gain weight.
"Time is priceless, yet it costs us nothing. You can do anything you want with it, except own it. You can spend it, but you can't keep it. And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back. It's just gone."
solitaryman1969

Postby Earl Butz » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:52 am

Nope....never bought a leek. I've taken a leek....

I hate onions! Chile produces pretty good grapes. You have to buy stuff like that in Canada....no choice in winter. :?
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Screamer » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:07 pm

solitaryman1969 wrote:I had a meeting with a nutritionist earlier in the week, and with my goal of reaching 175 lbs, with muscle and dropping my body fat from 14% to 10%, I have increase my intake of food to 2500 calories per day.

Look on the bright side; some of us will never, ever reach 175.

I tend to buy non-organic health crud. I feel like I'm a disappointment to at least one sexual orientation.
"I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me"
Screamer

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:33 am

Has anyone tried that green powder stuff? I'm thinking I should buy some. I don't eat many vegetables.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:28 pm

Earl Butz wrote:Has anyone tried that green powder stuff? I'm thinking I should buy some. I don't eat many vegetables.

Spirulina? As organic as Drexel is, he hates it. I have only had it in some snack bars, but I think it is pretty good. Of course, they might just add so much sugar that I don't notice it that much. Can't say that it does anything special for me physically though.
devilnuts

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:07 am

I'm not sure what it is. It comes in a large jar. It's just called "Greens" or "Greens plus" or whatever. I should ask my mom. She had a jar of it in her bathroom.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby foxeyes2 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:04 am

Oh I thought the gay diet was where you only ate gays. My bad.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby devilnuts » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:16 pm

foxeyes2 wrote:Oh I thought the gay diet was where you only ate gays. My bad.

You had the first part correct...

You eat only gays...then you excuse yourself, go to the bathroom, and throw them up. :twisted: :P
devilnuts

Postby J » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:00 am

I've actually kept a journal on what I've consumed over the last month. On average, I take in 1,200 calories/day, do cardio stuff 3 days a week and work out with a personal trainer (whom I really can't afford) two days a week. And I got yelled at for not hitting the 1,800 calorie mark that was set for me more than once. Hell, some days I take in 1,500; others I take in 850; and I had a major "cheat" day this past Saturday when I consumed over 2,200. I've only lost about 6 pounds so far, but it's the muscle mass (I think?) that keeps the weight up? I'm starting to see nasty looking veins in my arms and chest, and I don't want that at all. In fact, I'll go cosmetic surgery again just to hide them, because I think they make me look old and gross. But I need to have a procedure done on my abs to cover up the HUGE scar there that won't go away. And yes, I'm still planning on having the photofacials/dermabrasion/botox (maybe collagen injections) within the next month or so. And as for dying my hair black? I'll do that till I'm dead. I vow to never go gray/white. If I live to be 100, and am buried intact (I've requested not to be creamated), I don't care if I look 35-40 before I rot. And it's all for me. I don't care what others think of my looks, but if I ever look in a mirror and see an old geezer looking back, it would devastate me. I know it sounds crazy, but I'd rather have no retirement/"nest egg" than become elderly.
J

Postby nimby » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:04 am

Don't ya know that men get better with age? Do you really want to look like Lex Baldwin or Mickey Rourke?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:52 am

devilnuts wrote:So you know the guys in the store are gay because...

In my neighborhood matching pea coats, scarfs and good skin are tell tale signs.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:48 pm

I was about to say the same thing too Nimby.

Men do get better with age. You are also making way too big a deal about grey hair as well. Look at Anderson Cooper...mega hunk with his all white hair. Everyone is chasing after him.

I thought you were a hunk when I met you in Vegas just the way you are. I remember my roomies saying the same thing too. We were all talking about you.

As for your eating habits, be careful. Actually losing six pounds is quite a lot. You should be losing no more than one pound a week maximum.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Next

Return to Stereotypes