Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty

Do you have a gay voice?

Yes
22%
No
78%

Total votes : 58

Postby solat » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:16 am

Don't think many people like their voices when they hear themselves. I'm not keen on listening to mine.
solat

Postby Texas_Thang » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:48 am

See, now, Allan, (and this might belong in the accents thread), I think your voice isn't "gay" at all - and we all know how we Americans are suckers for "down under" accents.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby batty » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:31 am

Texas_Thang wrote:Seb - having talked to you on the phone and on Skype... I can't hear anything gay in your voice. You can, however, tell that English is not your native tongue. Not that your English isn't very very good..it's an intonation thing.

It's been a while since we talked, but just so you know I made lots of progress :D, basically being immersed in it the UK helps and 80% of my work is in english. Mind I've been told there's still some dead giveaways in my speech: "tanks" (instead of thanks) and "brake-fast" (as opposed to breck-fast/breakfast) and "dat" (instead of that). Of course this get exacerbated when I'm pissed or speak real fast, at which point all the "TH"es go out the window and become hard Ts.

No to tooth my own horn, but my accent in english is way way way more subtle than say José Thédore's (whose accent is pretty standard/typical of a Quebecker when they speak english)

And to echo Allan's and Vince's comment, not too keen on hearing a recording of my voice. Although I keep getting told I have a radio voice (and I DID do radio work and study broadcast journalism) so I guess that makes it easier to swallow.
batty

Postby GX » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:23 pm

The one's that mingle two or three accents are kind of funny :lol:

I know a couple of guys that have a Southern accent but with an undertone of gayness to it. Hard to notice at first until you've talked with them for a little bit...but then it sticks out pretty obviously and you can tell they are homo.
GX

Postby imperfectjoe » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:12 pm

I so do have a gay voice, I know it when I hear recordings of myself or something, It's funny no one notices.
imperfectjoe

Postby godless » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:35 pm

Do I have a stereotype "gay voice" that I can mimic at will? Yes. Do I normally sound that way? No.
I don't need to be godless - but I am
I don't need my head - keepin all my problems
I don't need your hand of god
I don't need, I say I'm godless
godless

Postby Triad » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:02 pm

Alas, yes. In my opinion, mine is a gay voice. If I cannot convince myself otherwise, then I surely will not succeed in convincing others that it is not gay. I am a trained vocalist and can somewhat alter the texture of my voice at will but concentrating on speaking in a different register is a huge pain in the arse. One drink and the real voice comes back in full force. The gay voice is one reason I seldom speak in social situations, drink or not. It is not worth the averted glances and conversations with fidgeting strangers. The rare protected and safe environment is the only place I speak freely.

For many of us, enough to kindle a stereotype, our formative years were spent hanging out not with fathers, uncles and neighborhood boys but with mom, aunts, grandmother and the neighborhood girls that seemed to have no problem tolerating a sissy. Whence the female vocal quality and inflections. To this day, I can detect certain vocal mannerisms I picked up from female friends and family from my childhood - including laughter.

Identifying gay voices from the entertainment media is great sport and I do it all the time. I think it is the Lincoln Tech commercials [the ones about training for car mechanics] that is so riddled with gay voices that it is comical. Even in the movies, with trained actors, the gay voice finds its way to my ears. Once alerted, I watch for a scene that will show him running and if he does, the way he runs will be a dead give away [to my satisfaction] that he is either gay or not.
Triad

Postby Smitty » Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:46 pm

Triad - Did you have a gay voice as a child? For the life of me, I can't recall ever hearing a gay voice in grade school or high school.
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:44 am

RedMenace wrote:I agree. It's just how you learn to talk I think-not fake talk at all. Some people will camp it up but for most I think it's just how they learned to talk growing up.

Or automatically learn to talk in order to fit in better into the "environment".
I know that I sure as hell pick up other accents both in Swedish and English. When I'm in Stockholm for a week and come back to Gothenburg, people here be like: ...Hey hey, watch it with the stockholmian accent dude! :lol:

I also notice that since english is not my first language, I to tend take on the tone and accent of the last English speaking person I'm talking to.
So... please somebody clubber me over the head if I ever pick up a campy accent. :x
Last edited by Ben on Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

Postby Smitty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:57 am

Ben wrote:I also notice that since english is not my first language, I to tend take on the tone and accent of the last English speaking person I'm talking to.

Talk to Isaak Hayes. Please! :P :twisted:
"If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator." -- George W. Bush, in a CNN interview. 12-18-00
Smitty

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:17 am

Smitty wrote:
Ben wrote:I also notice that since english is not my first language, I to tend take on the tone and accent of the last English speaking person I'm talking to.

Talk to Isaak Hayes. Please! :P :twisted:

umm... ehem... be careful or I'll start singing "chokolate salty balls" to ya!
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man...
Ben

Postby Triad » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:31 am

Smitty, in school the childhood voices I remember were all high pitched but even so, there was the very small minority of boys whose voices sounded like a girl's voice [like mine] - the same ones sounded like a girl with a deep voice [the gay voice, if you will] after puberty and those were usually the gay ones. I am sure there were ultimately gay men with unmistakeably manly voices in school but I never knew who they were.

Habitual negative reactions from others probably make some of us overly sensitive to what may sound gay in someone else's voice, or could it just be a veiled way of 'cruising' - identifying the like-minded?
Triad

Postby godless » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:55 pm

many of us have "voices" we can put on when we speak. But how many of us have voices we can put on when we write??

My "gay' voice: "Did you thee thothe drapeth she'th put up in the den? How tacky!! And that flower arrangement! I wouldn't thend that to my wortht enemy'th funeral!"

My all-purpose "hispanic" voice: "See. I peek zee cabbage for zee white boss. But hee's a feelthy peeg!"

My wealthy preppy Harvard grad voice: "Dod! Dod! I passed the bah! I'm a lawyah now! What say we mix up a shakah of martoonies, old top?"

My "german" voice: " Mein gott! How shtoopit can ju be? Ju vill follow ohderz und pick ze cabbage or I vill haff ju shot!"

My all-purpose "oriental" voice: "There's no way I can say "propeller" in english!

My "french" voice: "wee, wee. I peek zee cabbage for zee white boss. But hee's a feelthy peeg!"

My "brooklyn" voice: "Whaddaya say dere? Yeah! I pick dat dere cabbage for my bauss, dere. But, sumday, I hopes ta teech, dere!"

My "cockney" voice: "Bloimey! I hain't gonna pick no bloomin' cabbage! Whutta yew gotta do with it no how? Oive got expectations, Oi have! Be off withya now!"

My "austrailian" voice: Aat the Atback Stakehaus, yew kin git yew a Blewmin' Cabbige, comleements of th' haus!"

I trust yer all incredibly impressed!
I don't need to be godless - but I am
I don't need my head - keepin all my problems
I don't need your hand of god
I don't need, I say I'm godless
godless

Postby J » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Texas_Thang wrote:I was going to say - there are a number of people on here who have heard my voice - so, yes or no? ;)

Not really. I guess knowing "you are", I can tell, but if I didn't know, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me. I wouldn't say "stereotypically gay" and I don't remember a lisp or an inner valley girl at all. Same with Steve (even though he disagrees). I think he has more or less (please don't take any offense to this) a voice you'd expect from a guy who's < 5'10 or so. Kind of quiet, shy sounding, but not "gay sounding" at least not from what I heard those 3(?) times we met...

I don't like to claim I sound masculine or not- I guess that's up to the observer. Plenty of you know what I sound like so it's your call. I just talk how I normally would, not trying to butch or fem it at all. The exceptions are when I'm just waking up or if I'm angry. I notice my voice roughly an octave lower at those times.
J

Postby Smitty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:55 pm

J wrote:I think he has more or less (please don't take any offense to this) a voice you'd expect from a guy who's < 5'10 or so.

???

So... what are you saying? If we're taller, our voice goes up an octave? :lol:
Smitty

Postby J » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:12 pm

Smitty wrote:
J wrote:I think he has more or less (please don't take any offense to this) a voice you'd expect from a guy who's < 5'10 or so.

???

So... what are you saying? If we're taller, our voice goes up an octave? :lol:

No NO whadaya mean?!?!?! (voice becoming deep) This: < means LESS THAN so my point being the TALLER you are, the LOWER your voice is likely to be (not always, but typically). Steve thinks he sounds gay, but that's really not the case. Oh I was just kidding by the way. I was not getting angry with my voice dropping below the sound barrier to where you can only feel it, not hear it....

No wait a sec. I get it now. It was a compliment! Sorry I'm slow I guess....
J

Postby Smitty » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:23 pm

J wrote:Oh I was just kidding by the way.

Same here.

Tension builds in my throat. I wake up sounding like Johnny Cash. Within a couple hours I sound like Tom Selleck.
Smitty

Postby RedKen99 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:43 am

I'm intrigued by lispy voices, and men who try all they can to cover it up... :lol:

I think it sounds cute. I'm quite envious about it. My voice is either nasal or very bassy. I sound like a 16 year old english boy actually! :lol:
RedKen99

Postby Texas_Thang » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:40 am

Smitty wrote:
J wrote:Oh I was just kidding by the way.

Same here.

Tension builds in my throat. I wake up sounding like Johnny Cash. Within a couple hours I sound like Tom Selleck.

Actually, that's true. Vocal cords of taller men TEND to be longer - not always - and therefore deeper. Useless factoid #39403-b.
Texas_Thang

Postby Doedicurus » Fri May 12, 2006 4:56 am

I have a pretty deep voice, which I suppose is considered not gay. Occasionally over the phone I'm mistaken for my straight brother. Though regardless I think for a voice to sound gay it has more to do with the manner of speaking, ie the extent to which your voice tone varies, and how sing-songy it comes off as you speak. For example typically when gay people are excited about whatever they're talking about, the pitch of the voice will turn very high and perhaps oscillate frequently. Whereas straight guys in the same situation will just get louder at the same pitch. I doubt it has anything to do with the general sound of the voice. Plenty of straight guys have high voices. I mean look at David Spade.
Doedicurus

Postby Brandon » Wed May 17, 2006 12:15 pm

I don't know. I have never been told I have a gay voice, but I don't think it is THAT deep either. Somewhere in the middle.

Oh Crap! That makes me Versatile, huh?

DAMN!
Brandon

Postby Texas_Thang » Thu May 18, 2006 6:42 am

Y'know - we never did do the little "guess whose voice is whose" thing... I remember vaguely, in the mists of time, getting something from furface saying he could set it up and host it... hmmm...
Texas_Thang

Postby furface » Thu May 18, 2006 11:16 am

I did put out the invite, and had only one taker so far (other than moi). I evehn found someone who'll do the coding.

Voice Game

So..... If'n any of y'all be interested I'm still game.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby rovie » Sun May 21, 2006 7:40 am

Lou - I have no idea what this is all about - but I'm in too.

It's Winter over here and not a lot to do..... apart from work and family stuff.

Rovie
love thy neighbour
rovie

Postby Creature » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:14 pm

I did a little experiment where I paid attention to how guys that I thought were straight spoke. I did it all day. I noted conversations around me, how men sounded on the phone, etc etc. There are a lot of guys that sound suspect. Not that they are gay or anything, but I think the gay voice is not really gay so much as it is affected or what one would call stuffy.

I personally have dealt with and been in relationships with more than a few people that English is not there first language. As well, I have travelled alot. I guess somewhere along the lines I developed a very distinct way of speaking where my words are clearly pronounced. People ask me where I come from all the time. Add to that that I pick up accents very easily and having lived in New York for sometime and you have one strange voice. It doesn't sound gay, but it certainly isn't straight.
Creature

PreviousNext

Return to Effeminate Men