Estrogen/Testosterone?

Talks about guys that are nellie.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty

Estrogen/Testosterone?

Postby catapult » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:51 am

Is there any research on estrogen and testosterone levels that may indicate gayness or feminine gays?

I know the answer is probably the same "no one size fits all", but can it be said that gays are more feminine than straights - genetically, chemically or psychologically? Even straight-acting, seemingly masculine gays?

Despite straight-acting, masculine traits and behavior, might we still test higher in the estrogen department? Or if not estrogen, might we still have a little more feminine traits or psychology than straights?

I know some pretty feminine straights that throw a wrench into this theory.
catapult

Re: Estrogen/Testosterone?

Postby nimby » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:17 pm

I know there is a throry floating about that the more children a woman has, the higher her estrogen levels grow, so so the more older siblings you have, the higher chance of you being gay, or something like that. :?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Marvinteck » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:42 pm

nimby wrote:I know there is a throry floating about that the more children a woman has, the higher her estrogen levels grow, so so the more older siblings you have, the higher chance of you being gay, or something like that. :?

"Birth order may steer some men toward homosexuality in a process that perhaps begins before birth. A new study finds that homosexuality grows more likely with the greater number of biological older brothers--those sharing both father and mother--that a male has."
Marvinteck

Postby dannyboiii » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:29 am

I know i have heard of a study in which male rats that were exposed to higher than normal rates of female hormones during fetal development would grow up to act as though they were female partner in sexual and other dominance related activities. The scientists basically were able to turn rats gay (but not necessarily just that, but also effeminate) by exposing them to certain hormones.

Do i think that the amount and type of hormones in people at any given moment correlate to masculinity and effeminacy? well... for the most part, I would say no. I think that masculinity/effeminacy are an aspect of personality that, for the most part, are unchangeable. I mean, you can always change the way in which you present yourself publicly, but ultimately, it will not change who you are privately.

now, there are, as far as im aware of, a few ways in which I think you can apply theories on this subject without having to do any crazy hard research or anything like that. I think of m2f transsexuals, who will often talk about a change in mentality when taking female hormones, and also maybe men who have had their testicles surgically removed for health purposes, who often times have spikes in estrogen (i think! don't quote me on that one), and then also genetic disorders like clinefelter's syndrome.

going to the whole transsexual thing though (just because that's what im most familiar with as far as hormonal changes in males go), does the perceived change in mentality really correlate to an actual divergence from masculine traits?
dannyboiii

Postby Kori » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:42 am

Marvinteck wrote:
nimby wrote:I know there is a throry floating about that the more children a woman has, the higher her estrogen levels grow, so so the more older siblings you have, the higher chance of you being gay, or something like that. :?

"Birth order may steer some men toward homosexuality in a process that perhaps begins before birth. A new study finds that homosexuality grows more likely with the greater number of biological older brothers--those sharing both father and mother--that a male has."

As a little more information: "When a women is pregnant with a boy, scientists are realizing that her female body often sees the in-born fetus as a foreign object and begins to produce anti-bodies against it. The more boys a women has, the more adept her body becomes at feminizing the fetus, which may explain why, with every successive boy, the odds that he will be gay go up significantly."
The link has 404'd since I last posted this, but I know it came from http://www.hrc.org/
Kori

Postby catapult » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:29 pm

Kori wrote:
Marvinteck wrote:

As a little more information: "When a women is pregnant with a boy, scientists are realizing that her female body often sees the in-born fetus as a foreign object and begins to produce anti-bodies against it. The more boys a women has, the more adept her body becomes at feminizing the fetus, which may explain why, with every successive boy, the odds that he will be gay go up significantly."
The link has 404'd since I last posted this, but I know it came from http://www.hrc.org/

But then that is saying that being gay is being more girl? I don't buy that. Any science to that?
catapult

Postby Kori » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:15 am

The scientists are not inferring that fetuses are turned female; the woman's body is simply altering the genetic structure of the child while it is in the womb. I'm not a doctor so there is no way I can competently verify, but it seems both plausible and believable. Actually, I would agree with you if this fact didn't apply to women as well: the more brothers a woman has, the more likely she is to become a lesbian—"maternal immunization occurs to fetal y-linked minor histocompatibility antigens and increases with each succeeding fetus," (Blanchard R. Fraternal birth order and the maternal immune hypothesis of homosexuality. Horm Behav. Sep 2001;40(2):105-14.). I wonder how this compares to those born without a womb? I tried searching for it in the internet, but there seems to be relatively little information.
Kori

Postby jabpcola » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:05 pm

It is all an interesting question, and I don't know that I've ever seen a definitive study on the subject. I have read about the number of siblings, of which sex, etc. But how would one define an only child who is gay or lesbian? I was conceived as the result of an extra marital affair between my mother and a lifeguard. Mother was married and separated from her husband at the time. I do have an older half-sister and a younger half-brother and I was absolutely born gay! So I would say the number of siblings/and their sex are totally without merit, at least in my case...
jabpcola

Return to Effeminate Men