Current Affairs + Politics= Current Events & Politics

Here's the place for the latest updates on what's going on with the site, and your place to leave your comments and thoughts about what we're doing.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty, Tom-SA

Should the Current Affairs forum be combined with the Politics forum?

Yes
15%
No
63%
Monkey
22%

Total votes : 27

Current Affairs + Politics= Current Events & Politics

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Suggestion:

Combine the forums of Current Affairs and Politics into one forum of Current Events & Politics.

There seems to be lots of overlap btwn the two, they would compliment each other as one.

Civil Unionize them into one forum!
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby rovie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:18 am

I don't like the Politics forum - I've had some of the worst experiences there. I haven't had the same experiences in Current Affairs - so you can guess what I voted for. I don't know what a monkey vote is though.
love thy neighbour
rovie

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:30 am

rovie wrote:I don't like the Politics forum - I've had some of the worst experiences there. I haven't had the same experiences in Current Affairs - so you can guess what I voted for. I don't know what a monkey vote is though.

It's the equivalent of voting 3rd-party. Basically you throw your vote away if you vote Monkey.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby Rico » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:15 pm

I voted no (but really should have voted Monkey) even though I understand the reason for the confusion. Maybe it's because of the times we live in. Everything is politicized and that's sad. Sometimes I'm not sure which section to post a seeder in myself.

Either way they're two of my favorite sections. Can you believe it these sections are often less contentious than other sections where the debate gets heated and can center on stuff like "how many S/A gay men can dance on the head of transgendered, heterosexually confused, feminine pins?"
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby batty » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:09 pm

Joel, I see your point, and indeed many times myself I've had to think for a second in which forum my post would be more appropriate since it really did cover both. I did however vote no, mainly because the way I've come to define the politics forum, that is as a forum for politics in its most formal incarnation:

-Partisan events, popularity polls, leadership races, elections, the Diebold scandal, candidates mishaps (eg. the Macaca BS), Bushisms, the FEMA debacle ("one heck of a job"), Tom Delay's downfall etc...

Politics thread have overwhelmingly been focused on US politics only.

As for Current affairs, it was to me more of a place to discuss the outcome of policies/decisions made by people that were discussed the latter forum:

-The Katrina trailer scandal, the Gay marriage in Canada/Spain/South Africa, Kyoto/Global warming, Guantanamo Bay

Current affairs thread have a more international focus.

If course some are definitely tough to call, the war in Iraq for instance. In such cases I guess it's best left to the original poster's judgement as to what angle he wants to address and then post in the appropriate forum.

Also some members want to avoid partisan debates and the Politics forum allows these to be contained in one spot, and so for those who skip that forum altogether the status quo is more convenient.
batty

Postby Texas_Thang » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:28 am

What Batty said. Politics seems primarily to be a dumping ground for vitriol. Current affairs tends to have more pleasant discussions.

And I say that as someone who has dispensed vitriol... it's nice to keep it contained.
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby Davy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:03 am

Any discussion in which people have differing viewpoints can be kept civil as long as the attacks don't get personal. There are those of us who love a good debate. I think that most people who can't handle that kind of discussion don't go there anyway. So I hardly see the point of having two different forums dedicated to basically the same thing.
Davy

Postby Earl Butz » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:04 am

I voted monkey, but I guess I should have voted no. Whoops. It was just more fun to vote monkey. :P

Politics tends to harbor alot of blowhards and windbags. Better to keep them separated from the normal people. :twisted:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby rovie » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:48 am

I agree there, so lets keep both forums.
love thy neighbour
rovie

Postby Sweeet » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:32 am

I agree to keep them both. Some things should not be combined. I think I read something in the Politics forum in 2003. Never again! Too much hate and discontent. That place is scary.

Monkey?
Different men often see the same subjects in different lights; and, therefore, I hope that it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen, if, entertaining as I do, speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.-PH
Sweeet

Postby michaelk69 » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:46 am

I never ever go into Politics, but quite often go into Current Affairs . . . Current Affairs (in my opinion) covers a much wider range of topics ... say, a college kid getting killed in a hazing or gay-bashing incident . . . which i may want to read about more than say, Hillary or Obama . . .
michaelk69

Postby stevestr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:26 pm

both please.
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby stevestr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:27 pm

Earl Butz wrote:I voted monkey, but I guess I should have voted no. Whoops. It was just more fun to vote monkey. :P

Politics tends to harbor alot of blowhards and windbags. Better to keep them separated from the normal people. :twisted:

I seconded your Monkey. Anyone who puts monkey as a choice deserves to have some votes in that category IMHO.
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby drtom » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:25 pm

I voted no because they serve different functions. Politics is well - politics. Current affairs is anything newsworthy. It could have nothing to do with politics.
drtom

Return to SA News