Question...

Here's the place for the latest updates on what's going on with the site, and your place to leave your comments and thoughts about what we're doing.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty, Tom-SA

Question...

Postby Phoenix6570 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:51 pm

I was wondering about the various bots that come onto the site. What exactly are they doing? I assume they're gathering information but I'm not sure. What is their purpose for browsing the forum?
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Re: Question...

Postby furface » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 pm

They're from various search engines and web indexes. This site is configured so they can only read the posts and index them. They can not edit or post any information. They're rather ubiquitous on the web and this particular package lists them when they show up.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby butch » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:18 am

Yup. They're called "spiders" and they keep search engines data bases up to date. They never stop. I think the only way one can keep them out is secure networks such as those the banks use. I've noticed yahoo, MSN, Ask Jeeves and Google spiders on this site.

When I google myself, which I do at least once a week, I sometimes find this site attached to my name, but it comes and goes. Google uses proxy servers so when they are doing maintenance (daily) the google results may be older search results from the proxy server... sometimes several weeks old.

You won't show up in a search engine unless you're actual real name appears in a post... I must have mentioned my name in a post and google now has me on their search index... if you start to google my name "david silvercloud" when you reach the letter "c" my name will drop down as a search suggestion. The reason I show up is I am a google "partner" in that I post code on some of my sites that google issued to me so they know it's my site... in other words, I have asked google to regularly index my sites with a piece of html code in the head section of my webpages. This is a free service from google... all you have to do is have a gmail account and look for the link to get it. It's kind of like getting a license plate from google. I have paid for server space with 4 sites on it, plus 4 YouTube Channels and I link them together as much as possible... and I mention my name all over the place to be sure the spider notices.

Googles spider/search engine likes sites with lots of content, so I try to have several pages per site and the spider likes links back to websites from other sites, so I link back to myself to try to fool the bot.

The google bot mostly ignores tags because too many sites load them up with phony search terms... so the google bot will rank you lower if you have more than a couple of tags. The google algorithm varies from time to time to attempt to prevent sites from trying to fool it. The best way to attract google is to have lots of content, a site that is well indexed with links between pages, and lots of links back to your site.

If a site wants visitors, it should be spider friendly. Linking each page back to the index page is good, plus giving the page a descriptive title is good too... include words that you think people will search for.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Thank you both; that helped a lot.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Return to SA News