Questions

Here's the place for the latest updates on what's going on with the site, and your place to leave your comments and thoughts about what we're doing.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Lesley R. Charles, batty, Tom-SA

Questions

Postby furface » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:39 pm

If any of all y'all have questions about the new version of the software, this is the topic to post 'em. I'll do my bestest to find the answer(s) and post 'em as soon as I can.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Re: Questions

Postby chidiver » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:16 pm

Yes. In the old platform, new message threads were noted with a red icon. No the only way to see new posts (I think) is by going to "nee posts." Is there a setting that I need to change to see some sort of new post indicator on the main page? Also, is it possible to increase that allowable avatar size above 6kb?
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:14 pm

New post indicator: On the main board index page the circular icon to the left of the forum name should be red if there are new posts in that forum. Clicking on the forum name will take you to the index for the forum and the left hand icon for the thread with new posts should be red. To my knowledge there's no setting required by you for this to work. It works as described here for me on this install and a test board I set up for testing things. But I'll look over the documentation and see if there might be reason for it to not be working for you. You might also find and clear the cookie set by the site, it might have gotten tweaked/corrupted.

Avatar size: In looking over the general configuration settings for the ACP the default size for uploaded avatars is 80X80 pixels and 6,144 bytes. They appear to be changeable but which direction and by how much I'll have to look up. Any increase in the file size means more space used on the server and I don't know what the limits are with Tom-SA's ISP. I'll check and see what might be possible.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby olywaguy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 am

I just clicked on a link on a post and it didn't open a new window/tab like the old format could. Is it possible to reinstate that feature with this new updated board?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby furface » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:30 pm

olywaguy wrote:I just clicked on a link on a post and it didn't open a new window/tab like the old format could. Is it possible to reinstate that feature with this new updated board?

From the phpBB site:
Compared to phpBB3, links in phpBB2 had a slightly different behaviour: When you clicked them, they opened a new window with the requested page. This was changed in phpBB3 for a couple of reasons, but one of the most important ones was the goal to achieve XHTML 1.0 Strict-validation for the whole board.

There is a method to revert to the old behavior that requires making edits to several code files and templates, and I'm not willing or equipped to do that.

The best workaround is to RIGHT click on the link and select Open in new tab from the pop up menu.
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby furface » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:42 pm

Follow up New Post Indicator: There are no settings to change the indicators behavior. Nor was I able to replicate the action described (icon failing to change to red when new posts present), or find any reports of such on the phpBB site. I can only assume there may be some glitch on your end: browser and/or cookie.
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby madsglen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm

I've had a pop-up in a couple of forums since yesterday which says " connect to personal.darwinpalma.com - The server at personal.darwinpalma.com requires a username and password...'

Clicking on 'cancel' a couple of times makes it go away. Haven't noticed a pattern (i.e. specific forum/topic) yet other than it might be in a topic which hadn't had any activity since the conversion of the board. Just thought I'd ask if you had any ideas or suggestions. Thanks!
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby chidiver » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:33 pm

It has happened to me as well, but I was not inquisitive enough to investigate as you did. :D
Homosexuality is like duck hunting. Interesting only to those who practice it, and for those who want to stop it.
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 pm

Well, in addition to being a bit annoying it's also a potential safety concern. I personally would strongly suggest that people NOT enter anything in the username/password fields since it likely isn't from the board's server. At best you might get caught in a bit of a loop. At worst users might be providing unintended access to their PC or personal data.
madsglen

Postby foxeyes2 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:22 pm

I've had that happen a couple of times as well. I would not enter anything in it either.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby furface » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:56 pm

I've not seen this pop up... yet. I have been poking around in whois servers and blacklists. There is only one blacklisting entry from a defunct private server. A whois search for the prime/sub domain shows a Houston ISP and our server is not in Houston. This could just be an anomaly and harmless, or an infiltration. I don't know.

A google run on the server shows what appears to be a photo hosting operation. If that's the case, this could be an artifact from someone trying to link a picture.

I'll keep digging for an answer. Until then....

If you see this permission box pop up DO NOT enter any information; click 'cancel' to clear the pop up.
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby madsglen » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:30 pm

As always, thanks so much for checking into this for us, Lou!
madsglen

Postby nimby » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:10 am

Yea, I 've had that pop up several times yesterday. Just closed it.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 am

I experienced the pop-up twice in the Hunks thread yesterday, and that was--hopefully NOT coincidentally--the precise number of Red X's I got in that thread. There were no further occurrences.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:45 pm

It popped up for me, it's from one of the sites that one of the pics is hot linked from I am guessing.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby jkav » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Sometimes, I notice this in the "who's online" area at the bottom of the screen:

Google (Bot), Yahoo (bot)

Who are they?
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:17 pm

jkav wrote:Sometimes, I notice this in the "who's online" area at the bottom of the screen:

Google (Bot), Yahoo (bot)

Who are they?

I second this question........
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:38 pm

They are web crawlers, bots, sent out by Google and Yahoo to scan and index the web. Several other companies, like MSN etc., also employ this sort of technology. They are harmless to the site and don't collect anything other than site stats such as links in posts and key word counts.
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:48 pm

Thats really cool, i hadn't heard of that...
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:57 am

DeckApe wrote:I experienced the pop-up twice in the Hunks thread yesterday, and that was--hopefully NOT coincidentally--the precise number of Red X's I got in that thread. There were no further occurrences.

LOU:

Here's the thread where the pop-ups are appearing:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16040&p=213635#p213635

Maybe you can determine which attachment is causing the pop-ups, and delete those attachments? Thanks.
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby furface » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:08 pm

Merci beau coup, mon ami! That's the last bit of info I needed to find the problem.

There were two posts in that thread that were trying to hot link to a photo at that personal.darwinpalma site, but the photos never displayed, just the word Image. I deleted the entire "[img]""[/img]" string and the problem appears to have gone away.

This is one of the reasons hot links should be avoided whenever possible. If you must use them - check the properties of the image and the url in the navigation bar. Anything that has 'personal' or 'private' in either the properties and/or the3 url should be avoided.

PMs have been sent to the posters in question.
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Return to SA News