What's the limit?

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Should I forgive him, yet again?

Sure, why not.
3
43%
Enough... leave him behind.
4
57%
 
Total votes : 7

What's the limit?

Postby cloudy » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:58 pm

I mentioned, in another thread, that I'm a real loner. I mean... really. I really mean it.

I have allowed very few people into my life because, arrogant SOB that I am, wise enough idiot that I am, I can figure most people out, really, really, really fast.

So, most people prove to me they are unworthy in the first few sentences out of their mouths, but occaisionally I let someone into my life if they seem intereting in some way. I'm well aware that almost everyone who wants to be my "friend" really wants to get into my pants. I might just let them if they didn't expect too much. I'm a good friend and have had sex with most of my few close friends, even a woman who asked me to bonk her.

So my friend Frank met me when I was the doorman at a gay bar in the 70's. He knew a lot about photography, more than an amateur, so I let him into my life. He knew his sulphates from his sulphites and his flare from his soft focus.

So, over the years, he has been around, and I've tried to be nice to him, and he has been kind in my rough spots. But, he can blow up into hysterics at the drop of a pin... usually, I believe, because I have just said something... innocently, and he has taken it as my saying somthing to prove how ignorant he is.

He knows I'm an arrogant, self-centered artist. He knows I avoid people because I can't deal with their childishnesses and stupidities. He knows what this package comes with. Simon Cowell and I would get along just fine. And he had another one of his outbursts a week or so ago. God knows how many there have been over the years. Should I let him hang on my coat tails a little longer?

Any skinny young wanna be painters out there looking for a mentor? Want to be famous? I can get you there.

Oh... right, the topic...

He won't allow me to talk about science, or religion, doesn't want to hear about my books or theories, wants to talk mostly about the past (I live right now, thank you very much). I've suggested lithium dibromide or paxil but he won't hear of it.



So I got this post card from Frank today...
He knows photography well enough, and my photographic skills well enough, to know it better be a spectacular image to get MY attention. It's a very good image and I really like frogs.

Image
Image
Last edited by cloudy on Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T.S. Eliot
User avatar
cloudy
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: Vancouver, CANADA

Re: What's the limit?

Postby Endobrian » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:11 pm

Is this the guy you yelled at for DARING to say the Mona Lisa was fine art?

If it was, dump him. He dosn't know art if it bit him in the ass.


cloudy wrote:I mentioned, in another thread, that I'm a real loner. I mean... really. I really mean it.

I have allowed very few people into my life because, arrogant SOB that I am, wise enough idiot that I am, I can figure most people out, really, really, really fast.

So, most people prove to me they are unworthy in the first few sentences out of their mouths, but occaisionally I let someone into my life if they seem intereting in some way. I'm well aware that almost everyone who wants to be my "friend" really wants to get into my pants. I might just let them if they didn't expect too much. I'm a good friend and have had sex with most of my few close friends, even a woman who asked me to bonk her.

So my friend Frank met me when I was the doorman at a gay bar in the 70's. He knew a lot about photography, more than an amateur, so I let him into my life. He knew his sulphates from his sulphites and his flare from his soft focus.

So, over the years, he has been around, and I've tried to be nice to him, and he has been kind in my rough spots. But, he can blow up into hysterics at the drop of a pin... usually, I believe, because I have just said something... innocently, and he has taken it as my saying somthing to prove how ignorant he is.

He knows I'm an arrogant, self-centered artist. He knows what this package comes with. And he had another one of his outbursts a week or so ago. God knows how many there have been over the years. Should I let him hang on my coat tails a little longer?

Any skinny young wanna be painters out there looking for a mentor? Want to be famous? I can get you there.

Oh... right, the topic...

He won't allow me to talk about science, or religion, doesn't want to hear about my books or theories, wants to talk mostly about the past (I live right now, thank you very much). I've suggested lithium dibromide or paxil but he won't hear of it.



So I got this post card from Frank today...

Image
Image
---------------------------
War over there, is peace over here. Freedom of speech and of the press, binds us.
What we arn't told, is strength.

'84.
User avatar
Endobrian
Member
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:48 am
Location: San Diego

Postby cloudy » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:22 pm

I try not to raise my voice... it was HE. Yes, the same who seemed to think that because the Mona Lisa is so valuable it is because it is so beautiful. The signature didn't seem to be significant accept, I think, he thought I was dumping on Leonardo, himself.

I don't think anyone would doubt how much I admire, and respect, Leonardo Da Vinci, but the man had trouble painting. Tust me, painting is tricky stuff.

Anyhow, I really am torn. I'm tired of hangers on who won't get with the program.
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T.S. Eliot
User avatar
cloudy
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: Vancouver, CANADA

Postby solat » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:55 am

cloudy wrote: So my friend Frank met me when I was the doorman at a gay bar in the 70's. He knew a lot about photography, more than an amateur, so I let him into my life. He knew his sulphates from his sulphites and his flare from his soft focus.

So, over the years, he has been around, and I've tried to be nice to him, and he has been kind in my rough spots. But, he can blow up into hysterics at the drop of a pin... usually, I believe, because I have just said something... innocently, and he has taken it as my saying somthing to prove how ignorant he is.


You asked for people to comment, so I'm taking up the invitation. Your posts come off as a bit know-it-all. It's not that you aren't capable of dishing out good advice, just that it's often mixed in with egotism and patronage. So, given people's reactions here, coupled with your friend's comments, perhaps you should look at the way you come across to people? Nothing like someone forcing you to think how you're perceived by telling you that you're an oddball. I've had to do some self-analysis occasionally.

cloudy wrote: He knows I'm an arrogant, self-centered artist. He knows I avoid people because I can't deal with their childishnesses and stupidities. He knows what this package comes with. Simon Cowell and I would get along just fine. And he had another one of his outbursts a week or so ago. God knows how many there have been over the years. Should I let him hang on my coat tails a little longer?


You've kept him as a friend for over 30 years because you've obviously got something out of the frienship. So, what is it? And is it worth losing?

cloudy wrote:He won't allow me to talk about science, or religion, doesn't want to hear about my books or theories, wants to talk mostly about the past (I live right now, thank you very much). I've suggested lithium dibromide or paxil but he won't hear of it.


You don't find suggesting to someone that they should consider lithium/paxil as highly patronising? I have a wide knowledge in subjects that are as obscure as quantum physics. I realise that it would bore the crap out of most people if i discussed it with them. I leave that kind of talk to people I know have similar interests.

cloudy wrote: I don't think anyone would doubt how much I admire, and respect, Leonardo Da Vinci, but the man had trouble painting. Tust me, painting is tricky stuff.


LOL. Maybe it's time for me to check out your site. See what kind of art you do.
Last edited by solat on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
solat
Moderator
 
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:03 am
Location: New Zealand

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:50 am

Well, I voted that you dump him but only you know all the facts. Sometimes you have to be diplomatic and suffer fools. People aren't robots....they do have feelings. I know someone who is schizophrenic and she took offense one time when I suggested the music they were playing at a Chinese restaurant sounded like the music they play to calm people down in a looney bin. Oops. Didn't seem insensitive to me, but I can understand why she took it as an insult.

You say you're a loner but I'm not sure you really are. You certainly aren't shy about having casual sex with people! Loners are usually old ladies who only leave the house to walk the dog or get groceries.

But, you're obviously highly intelligent and articulate. I think you might have borderline personality disorder or whatever includes delusions of grandeur in the symptoms. A 60 year old man is usually sexually revolting to a 20 year old! Hello??!!

Or maybe you're just funnin with us by being an oddball....I know if I detailed the reality of my life here everyday you would all fall into a coma by the third sentence!

I never really liked the Mona Lisa either. (the painting) Love the song about it though by Nat Cole.
A hard man is good to find!
User avatar
Earl Butz
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:51 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Postby cloudy » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:10 am

Thanks Solat and Earl for your input... I'm really torn. I have only two friends besides him, a woman, my first lover. Everyone else is dead.

My woman friend just turned 79 and dropped by tonite to pick up something I printed out for her... just had open heart and is back to working seven days a week. Now, there's my kind of gal. No wimps need hang around cloudy. Be part of the solution, or get the hell out of the way.

Love the avatars solat. Well, I'm still thinking. I know, exactly, excrutiatingly exactly, who, and what, I am. Now if only the rest of the planet would get with the program.

Over the years I've attempted to let several people into my life. I can say that most all of them fncked me over in one way or another, or were only interested in how big my dick was and how fast they could lay their hands on it. They acted nice to me. I had no need for them, in my life, but gave them a shot. I'm not so ready anymore. You must prove yourself to me. If you don't like it, I don't care.



I seek attention simply because I need people to know about my theory about solids liquids and gases...

I have discovered why they do what they do, but no one will listen to me because I have no education, and no credentials. I know why they are gases then liquids then solids. No one knows. I have figured it out.

Oh well. No, I've been to two psychiatrists. Both assure me I have no serious problems of any kind. I can become extremely depressed but psychiatrist number one taught me how to deal with that problem. It is something that each person has to work out for themselves. I did paxil for nearly a year, after my boyfriend died. It is not something that is good, or beneficial, for me.
Last edited by cloudy on Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go"
T.S. Eliot
User avatar
cloudy
Member
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:12 pm
Location: Vancouver, CANADA

Postby Foxy Trouble » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:02 am

cloudy wrote:I seek attention simply because I need people to know about my theory about solids liquids and gases...

I have discovered why they do what they do, but no one will listen to me because I have no education, and no credentials. I know why they are gases then liquids then solids. No one knows. I have figured it out.


Regardless of whether or not you've discovered the ultimate answer to the question of why matter behaves as it does, people won't listen to you for a very good reason. It's because there are plenty of other credential-deprived people out there who think they've made similarly astounding discoveries in the fields of science and mathematics. And most of them are crackpots. Don't believe me? Check out some of the google science groups, especially unmoderated ones.

That doesn't mean you can't be heard. A kid at my school who was almost universally declared a brainless burnout loser DnD freak (kind of nasty, I know) wrote a file-comressing computer program unlike anything ever seen before. He sold it to a university for large sums of gold and jewels. It can be done, it's just hard. Just don't give up.
Foxy Trouble
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:02 am
Location: Australia

Postby longtalldonny » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:13 pm

Arrogant is another word for insecure, in my experience.

I've known some brilliant people in my life, and one of the things that is the hallmark of brilliance, in my opinion, is tolerance coupled with humility... or at least perspective. In this post, you appear to have none of the above.

Two artists rarely make a good relationship. I mean really rarely. An insecure artists needs a rock, not another flake.

It appears that you tend to surround yourself with people who reinforce your feelings of superiority.

I suggest you find somebody you respect. And I might go so far as to suggest that if you haven't done that yet, it's because that prospect terrifies you.

You asked.
longtalldonny
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:41 pm


Return to Users Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron