Las Vegas SA Meet

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Which of the following alternatives would you most likely move heaven and earth to attend?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:40 pm

Feb 16-18 President's Day Weekend Strip
18%
Feb 16-18 President's Day Weekend Downtown
No votes
Mar 9-11 Spring Break Weekend Strip
No votes
Mar 9-11 Spring Break Weekend Downtown
No votes
Mar 12-14 Spring Break Weekdays Strip
18%
Mar 12-14 Spring Break Weekdays Downtown
No votes
Mar 16-18 Spring Break Weekdays Strip
9%
Mar 16-18 Spring Break Weekdays Downtown
9%
Mar 19-21 Spring Break Weekdays Strip
27%
Mar 19-21 Spring Break Weekdays Downtown
18%

Total votes : 11

Las Vegas SA Meet

Postby doctor dan » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:40 pm

A few options: President's Weekend and a few weekdays and weekends during various spring breaks. Choose dates + location (Strip or Downtown) in one vote.

Please vote on one of the followings so we can get this ball rolling. NB Mar 16-18 should read Weekend. As for Downtown v. Strip: Downtown is cheaper and easier to get around on foot than the strip. Though the Strip has a monorail, it's still a hike to get around on foot. Weekdays are cheaper than weekends. Check out http://www.cheapovegas.com for some down-to-earth advice about LV.
Last edited by doctor dan on Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doctor dan

Postby RedRage00 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:48 pm

I voted Mar "19-21 Spring Break Weekdays Strip"

I have only been to Vegas once and that was like 10 years ago so I don't remember much so I don't know the difference between downtown and the strip. It doesnt matter to me whether it is downtown or the strip but I do like the 19-21 of March better.

I could possibly leave the Saturday the 17th and get an early start since I am off on weekends.

Thats my vote.

Joe
RedRage00

Postby blackmet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:27 pm

I voted March 12th-14th Weekdays Strip.

I may move in February, so I'm not a huge fan of those times. But I could probably pull off any time in March.
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby edu999 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:33 pm

Just wondering... why are most choices weekdays instead of weekends?

The date doesn't matter to me as much as the location. I vote Strip. :)
edu999

Postby Rico » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:42 pm

edu999 wrote:Just wondering... why are most choices weekdays instead of weekends?

Short answer: $$$$$$$
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby devilnuts » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:19 pm

Then why not a weekend after Spring Break? I'd prefer a weekend, but I think February would be too cold. Maybe early April? Oh, but it's all about the Strip baby...woooo hooo...Mandaly Bay here we come!!! Someone really needs to talk Drexel into that...he doesn't want to stay there, but that's just because he's never seen their...ummm...pool...hahaha. Those that went walking up and down the strip know what I'm talking about... :twisted: :P
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby Rico » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:25 pm

devilnuts wrote:Then why not a weekend after Spring Break? I'd prefer a weekend, but I think February would be too cold. Maybe early April? Oh, but it's all about the Strip baby...woooo hooo...Mandaly Bay here we come!!! Someone really needs to talk Drexel into that...he doesn't want to stay there, but that's just because he's never seen their...ummm...pool...hahaha. Those that went walking up and down the strip know what I'm talking about... :twisted: :P

The later and warmer the better. Like I said...I want to see skin. :lol: Seriously, my schedule is flexible...and John...he's retired...can't get more flexible than that. We'll go with the flow. Personally, I like somewhere Center-Strip...saves on shoe leather and blister cream.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby BtonJay » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:33 pm

Short answer: $$$$$$$

Ditto. I've only been to Vegas once, and had a ball. As long as the company is fun, I'll have fun. Money is a concern, obviously, and I know I'll be in Ann Arbor one weekend in March (TBD).
BiWM in Bloomington, IN. Masculine, smart, nice, funny... and that's just the start.
BtonJay

Postby RedRage00 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:45 pm

I think there are too many options on the poll. I really dont care about downtown or strip so maybe those can be taken out LOL

Maybe we should vote on a date first and then once that is accomplished have another poll for Downtown vs Strip.

RR
RedRage00

Postby stevestr » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:48 pm

RedRage00 wrote:I think there are too many options on the poll. I really dont care about downtown or strip so maybe those can be taken out LOL

Maybe we should vote on a date first and then once that is accomplished have another poll for Downtown vs Strip.

RR

I second that. Don't most people work during the week?
"'TICKLE CHALLENGE?????' First of all, almost no male, straight or gay, in their 20's, is going to be up for a tickle challenge. [...]I'd be mortified if you suggested that as something to do." -- Blackmet, 6/4/2007
stevestr

Postby selective_soldier » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:43 am

RedRage00 wrote:So, can someone set a date or vote on a date? I know we voted on previous gatherings to set a date?

Once that is set then people can figure out if they can go or not.

RR

Sorry Dan,these are Feb-March. It would be a tight fit..

The soonest I could see myself free would be Memorial day Weekend/last weekend in May..

I'll just read along.. & play by ear my tight schedule, EMT recert, & looking for a place.. that's on my end.

I already posted about ignoring the drama dude of the group, so let me not appear to go there.. I have legitimate military stuff going on.

Screw that.. I'm intrigued to see what the general consensus will be & maybe I can discover a sick cousin in Vegas I need to leave out of town un-expectedly to see about :D

"Those who are most difficult to love, need the most love."

~OEF 2008- 2009~

Take care of each other. Differences & not.
selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby Texas_Thang » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:53 pm

I appreciate the poll, too, and Steve and I would love to come, but Feb/Mar is too soon... we'd need time to save up and/or get income tax refunds.

Besides, isn't Vegas cheaper in the summer because it's so HOT?
Resident of Many Places. Home in a few.
Texas_Thang

Postby J » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:44 pm

Texas_Thang wrote:Besides, isn't Vegas cheaper in the summer because it's so HOT?

Not really. It's expensive all year now. The only way you save any $ is by 1) LIMITING the amount you spend on the slots/tables/etc (and being good about it) and 2) Staying OFF the strip (even one street over can save you hundreds of dollars in hotel fees, the strip is badly overpriced). I would recommend downtown (Fremont St area) if you wanted to spend less than the newer places on the strip and still be in a fun area.
J

Postby Screamer » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:23 pm

I'd like to go to Vegas, but I'll be reclassing and unable to get away. I've been instructed it's a place I ought to see, and I haven't had a good excuse to go, so it sucks a little - usually I have no life at all and could go anywhere without consequence.

It's not all sour, mind you - I'm spending my travel money going to the bowl game. Whoo! Prepare the face-paint.
Screamer

Postby Creature » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:29 pm

COME TO MIAMI INSTEAD!!!!!!
Creature

Postby RedRage00 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:06 pm

CURRENT POLL (Dates combined)

March 19-21 - 5 votes
March 12-14 - 2 votes
Feb 16-18- 2 votes
March 16-18 - 1 vote

Total votes to date- 10
RedRage00

Postby Rico » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:38 pm

J wrote:
Texas_Thang wrote:Besides, isn't Vegas cheaper in the summer because it's so HOT?

Not really. It's expensive all year now. The only way you save any $ is by 1) LIMITING the amount you spend on the slots/tables/etc (and being good about it) and 2) Staying OFF the strip (even one street over can save you hundreds of dollars in hotel fees, the strip is badly overpriced). I would recommend downtown (Fremont St area) if you wanted to spend less than the newer places on the strip and still be in a fun area.

You're absolutely right about #1 (I'll never learn my lesson) but as far as the #2...it all depends. Getting to and from and staying in Vegas is like Rubik's Cube. Everything always depends on too much else. For me...a package deal (air and hotel) on the Strip costs HALF AS MUCH as regular air and an off the strip or downtown hotel. Believe me....BTDT.

I just did some quick Orbitz comparisons. At first I thought weekends in March would be almost double...but surprisingly not. Higher yes...but not double. Either way...I'm in.

Of course, we can also do college style...room sharing and beer in the bathtub, etc. I'm all for that too. :wink:
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Texas_Thang » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:25 pm

I knew that DT was cheaper than the Strip, but I had always figured it was like, say, Palm Springs, where the off-season was most people's normal vacation time...

learn something new every day, eh?
Texas_Thang

Postby Rico » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:10 pm

Texas_Thang wrote:I knew that DT was cheaper than the Strip, but I had always figured it was like, say, Palm Springs, where the off-season was most people's normal vacation time...

learn something new every day, eh?

So much depends on the point of origination. Certainly room rates are cheaper DT compared to the Strip. If I lived within driving distance of Las Vegas, it wouldn't even be close where to stay...I'd stay downtown or off the Strip. But since I'm traveling 2400 miles, I tend to look for combos and it's difficult to find air-hotel combos for DT hotels. Believe me I've tried. But I'll keep looking.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Texas_Thang » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:17 pm

Last Spring Steve and I were looking to possibly go to Vegas and if it involved a weekend it was always at least $200-$400 more as a package.
Texas_Thang

Postby selective_soldier » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:03 pm

Dan, is there a probability of adding a date of may on your poll?
"Those who are most difficult to love, need the most love."

~OEF 2008- 2009~

Take care of each other. Differences & not.
selective_soldier
Site Admin

Postby RedRage00 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:06 pm

selective_soldier wrote:Dan, is there a probability of adding a date of may on your poll?

Check out the new poll....it includes April and May I think
RedRage00

Postby doctor dan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:04 am

selective_soldier wrote:Dan, is there a probability of adding a date of may on your poll?

unfortunately, i cannot edit the poll part; only the posts. so go ahead and delete this or lock this thread?

generally speak about vegas, here are a few truisms for visitors:

• downtown hotel rooms are always cheaper than the strip. they're old.
• strip hotels are nicer than downtown. they have pools, etc.
• there are very few "cheap" times of year. december is one of them.
• weekdays are much cheaper than weekends. the goes for hotel room rates and minimum table game bets.
• if you're uptight and/or unwilling to take risks, vegas is not a good match for you.

most of you who know me know that i am a regular guy. vegas is one of my passions though. i have been there dozens of times in the past five years and consider myself a pretty good observer of the world and of vegas in particular. it's a wonderful place to visit, but you really have to let yourself get caught up in the mystique and vibe to enjoy it.
doctor dan

Postby blackmet » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:36 am

Denver to Vegas is actually never too much, if booked early enough. There's usually some good deals for three day/two night package deals, and both Southwest and Frontier do cheap and constant flights direct to.

As for gambling money...well, I have a bottle of spare change that I tend to use almost solely to gamble away in Blackhawk. It's full, and I'm working on another one. I DOUBT my friends and I will be hitting Blackhawk until mid or late spring, because it's just too risky of a drive at this time of year. By March, I'll probably have a few hundred bucks o' spare change. :D
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby BtonJay » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:05 pm

RedRage00 wrote:

Check out the new poll....it includes April and May I think

That poll would be here.
BiWM in Bloomington, IN. Masculine, smart, nice, funny... and that's just the start.
BtonJay

Next

Return to Users Forum