10 Years On...

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

10 Years On...

Postby Guinness Fan » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:46 pm

I just looked at my profile on here and noted that I joined the board on January 7, 2006; 10 years ago! I'm a a relative newcomer compared to some of you guys...Where the hell did the last 10 years go?

Which leads me to ask:

(A) When did you join the forum?

And;

(B) Any significant life-changing events in the last 10 years?

--
(A) as stated; I joined 10 years ago...
(B) Nothing much really...10 years ago when I joined I was living in the Middle East...moved back to the US for a few years and then back to Europe. No major life-changing events...Wish I had something profoundly philosophical to offer, but...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: 10 Years On...

Postby nimby » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:45 pm

I've learned that nothing is more important than personal happiness, not money, not career, nothing. No one on their death-bed has ever said, "gee, I wish I spent more time at the office." Personal relationships and the happiness you create is is what matters at the end of the day.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:22 am

Guinness Fan wrote:I just looked at my profile on here and noted that I joined the board on January 7, 2006; 10 years ago! I'm a a relative newcomer compared to some of you guys...Where the hell did the last 10 years go?

Which leads me to ask:

(A) When did you join the forum?

And;

(B) Any significant life-changing events in the last 10 years?

(A) Feb. 21, 2006; just after you did.

(B) Getting married was sort-of-life-changing... we'd already been living together for eight years, so there wasn't that much of a paradigm shift. I did, like Nimby, discover there was more to life than life at the office. I found myself caring a lot less about promotion and more about having a life outside.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Well Said Nimby & Deck Ape!

I "retired" rather early and decided that what I really liked to do was what I had been doing my whole career - live (not necessarily travel) abroad. Found a great gig that lets me do just that...& they pay me to boot. I don't miss my "career" whatsoever - it was great for 30+ years ~ loved just about every minute of it & would do it again in a heartbeat... It gave me the skills/fortitude to jump on a plane with 2 suitcases and land in a place I've never been before. It has its challenges & drawbacks (as does EVERY place). Now I'm out of the rat race I'm just having fun...and am starting to think about my next adventure......not sure where that will be,,,but considering it was about -15c here all day, it'll be someplace warm.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Users Forum