Final Arrangements?

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Final Arrangements?

Postby Guinness Fan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:31 am

Geeeeeeeeeze, this is a difficult topic to discuss, morbid to most...& I'm not sure how to start it off...

On our "Daily Blog" forum, our long-time brother Earl has shared his recent experience in coping with his dying brother (THANKS Earl ~ this is an issue we ALL must face)...and the difficult-to-have discussion of funeral arrangements....

And that got me thinking of what I want when it comes to MY "final arrangements"...

I've made it known to my family (both verbally and in writing) that;

(a) I do NOT want a wake or "viewing" (I've been to way too many of them & always thought of them as a way for the funeral home to showcase their "art" ~ and the whole ordeal is unnecessarily traumatic for the family).

(b) Use no "extreme" measures to keep me alive ~ legal mumbo jumbo aside; if it looks like I'm brain dead, I am...

(c) Harvest whatever organs can be salvaged to help others ~ eyes, skin, bones, lungs, hair, whatever...

(d ) Use whatever's left of my cadaver to train medical students & forensic scientists ~ slice & dice/decompose...

(e) Cremate my remains and scatter them in the Atlantic Ocean ~ ashes to ashes...Last rites & a memorial Mass, yes, but no headstone or graveyard for me...

(f) I've ensured that I'll have $$ to accomplish the above, say a memorial Mass & donate a respectible sum to my church and university & that's it - fini...

And you ~ your "final arrangements"?...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Final Arrangements?

Postby nimby » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:41 am

Comming from a family that is in the funeral business, I've learned one thing about funerals. They are not for the dead, but rather for the loved ones mourning. I'll let them do what ever they like to celebrate my life: big funeral, friends and family, luncheon, mass, huge procession, what ever. It won't matter to me as I'll be on my untimate journey, but it matters to them.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:18 pm

No, I haven't got any funeral arrangements done. I live from paycheck to paycheck so that saving has been quite impossible for me for even the most basic things. I do know that I do have a shelf at a funeral home in Mississippi. My mom won it as a result of some raffle...the same funeral home that did my dad and my grandmother. My mom already has her spot next to my dad, so she gave me this shelf. My driver's license has me as an organ donor, but that's it.

I will be 48 years old in June and I know how much closer I am approaching my 50th birthday and the decade following it. Things like this are on my mind and I do realize I need to let people know what my wishes are.

I don't think this is an issue that should be buried (no pun intended). We all die whether we are gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, etc. Death doesn't recognize gender identity...we are all equal in that regard. Ignoring will not make it go away so might as well make the preparations necessary. You are just as likely to die at 18 as you are 65 or 80 or 100. You're never too young to make a will and make your feelings known.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby edu999 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:57 am

My partner and I took care of these arrangements when we hired an estate lawyer, at the same time we took care of paperwork regarding property, medical directives, etc. We both chose to be cremated when the time comes.
edu999

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:48 pm

I never put to much thought into probably cause I'm only 21. My friend and I did discuss these matters once. I would want my funeral to be like a party; a tribute to my life. I wouldn't want everyone sad and crying that I'm gone. I would rather everyone sharing stories about me and laughing about the good times we had together. The pain and sadness is inevitable but I think if my funeral was more of a fun time it would be easier for people to cope.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby RedKen99 » Tue May 03, 2011 5:23 pm

I want to die in a Plane Crash when I am 79! :cry:
RedKen99

Postby Phoenix6570 » Wed May 04, 2011 7:42 pm

^ What a scary way to go. I hate planes simply because I think I'm going to crash when I am on one.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby J » Wed May 04, 2011 11:49 pm

No wake/viewing
No funeral/event which requires mourning
Buried (not creamated) ASAP in South Deerfield, MA

So those of you who are here on Sept. 26, 2074 know the 3 most important items. I should probably have a living will or something.
J

Postby madsglen » Thu May 05, 2011 9:31 pm

Just like we did with my partner. Spread my ashes in the hole, then plant a tree. Couldn't get permission to do it at the Japanese gardens like he wanted, but we did find a nice quiet place. His is a magnolia. Make mine a Japanese maple, please.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Return to Users Forum