Do You Speak A Second Language?

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Do You Speak A Second Language?

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 pm

When it comes to DNA, I believe that there's such a thing as the "language gene" (as well as a "math gene" and the "art gene"; they may not have been scientifically discovered yet ~ but they do exist!!!)...Unfortunately, my DNA is devoid of the capability to speak anything fluently other than the English language (and some would debate that, especially if my Boston accent rears its head). I've lived abroad and traveled extensively & can make myself understood in a dozen languages (limted to "give me another beer & where's the men's room" etc) without causing an international incident, but I've never been able to master a language other than English.

I'm in awe of other guys that can speak a second language with ease...

So, other than your native tounge, can you speak a second language & if so, how did you develop that ability?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Do You Speak A Second Language?

Postby Xpat » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:56 am

Other than my native tongue, English would be my second language. :D
Xpat

Postby glas_scot » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:49 am

^^Out of those, I have the "math gene". Math it's self like a language. But when it's comes to Foreign languages I'm terrible. I done French for 6 years at High School and now I can barely speak a word of it.
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby nimby » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:21 am

glas_scot wrote:^^Out of those, I have the "math gene". [url]Math it's self like a language. But when it's comes to Foreign languages I'm terrible. I done French for 6 years at High School and now I can barely speak a word of it.[/url]

Bwaa haa haa!!! But your comedic gene is bang on!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:09 pm

Well, my native language is Spanish so my foreign language is English. I also took French in high school and in college. Even though I've never officially studied some of the other romance languages, they are similar enough to Spanish and French that sometimes I can decipher somewhat is being said.

I grew up speaking both Spanish and English. I attended American schools in Honduras before I came to the U.S.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby edu999 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:44 am

I'm completely fluent in Tagalog (Filipino) and English. Although I was born and raised in Manila, I am slightly more comfortable speaking English. I also took 16 units of Spanish in college, and while I can't really hold an honest-to-goodness conversation in Spanish, what I know is enough to get me by in Latin America. (Well, maybe not Mexico because they speak way too fast... but I did use Spanish a little bit in Peru, Argentina, and Puerto Rico.)
edu999

Postby doctor dan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:20 am

Karlo: most Spanish NS's would say that Mexican speak more slowly than others!

My second language is Russian, followed closely by Swedish, both of which are near-native proficiency. Bulgarian and French are advanced. I have studied a slew of other languages over the years. I have had two years of classroom instruction in Polish, Slovak, Serbocroatian, and Uzbek. I had a year and a half of classroom instruction in Macedonian, Upper Lusatian, Norwegian, Spanish, German, and Italian. I am excited to begin Chinese next year!

I'm not a big fan of self-instruction software and books. They invariably lead me to translations rather than organic production. That is, I create something to say or write in my head than translate before saying or writing it. True proficiency means that your brain produces stuff organically, without the translation. If you are truly fluent in more than one language, you know exactly what I'm talking about!
doctor dan

Postby edu999 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Dan, for some reason I find it way easier to understand Argentines and Peruvians than Mexicans. Spaniards are easier to understand, too, but maybe that's because the Spanish taught in the Philippines is Castillian. I do think that Puerto Ricans speak faster than Mexicans, but for whatever reason it was easier for me to understand them as well.
edu999

Postby olywaguy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:43 pm

That's because Mexicans make up words...mostly Spanglish. So, no doubt you are confused.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Return to Users Forum