how to change my "gay voice"?

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

how to change my "gay voice"?

Postby gymguy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:44 pm

I'm not a complete flamer, but I DO sound gay. I really want to change that, but don't know how.

I've emailed a few vocal/speech coaches and they say that they can not help me... and instead say I just need to become comfortable with myself.

But I really want to change. Any practical advice?
gymguy

Re: how to change my "gay voice"?

Postby nimby » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:29 pm

How about getting a book on tape, read by a voice you like, and speak along with the reader until you get all the inflections and voice patterns down. That might help.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Except I like Stephen Fry, and he has a gay voice too... :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby txgrunt10 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:54 am

Gymguy,

I don't think it's a matter of "change". Your sound will be your sound. What you can do is practice some skills that will assist you to present your vocals in a tone which you desire. I had done some community theater in the past, and we all worked on our voices as even str8 guys's voices tend to go high pitch when they first get on stage.

One of the things I was taught was to speak slowly, deliberately, and distinctly. Many men, especially in the south tend to be lazy in their speech. Another thing is to open your mouth.. (no pun intended), say each word. The third is to mentally think in a lower tone, not volume, tone. Much of vocal presentation is very much mental. The person must mentally think he wishes to say something in a lower tone and as much as the words and expressions the person uses in conversation. The sppeech coahes are correct when they say to "get comfortable with yourself". Once you do this, your voice will reflect the confidence and will drop automatically if you are comfortable with presenting yourself as such.
txgrunt10

Postby Gaydudelaf » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:28 pm

Man, I can understand why you would want to change your voice, but am disgusted that we live in a society where you would feel the need to do such a thing.
------------------------------------------------------
Chip
http://www.myspace.com/chip_council
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile
"Bring back the Frozen Chicken Position (FCP)"
Gaydudelaf

Return to Users Forum