Smoking....Cigarettes that is...

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Re: Smoking....Cigarettes that is...

Postby sean304 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Another smoker but I've cut way down. I used to smoke Marlboros and was told it's easier to quit
if you change your brand and stick to the new one. And that worked at first - cut way down - until
I got a taste for the new brand, American Spirits. They burn longer than most cigs and I am down to
about 5 a day.
sean304

Postby jabpcola » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Sean30:

Congrats on your success so far. I wish you luck on going the final mile! I have absolutely no doubts but what cigarettes killed the love of my life and I guess I've been an ass about smoking since. You hang in there and keep up the good work!

:D
jabpcola

Postby ArtistCarl » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:53 pm

Im a smoker, since I was 16, now 50! was in the hospital with pneumonia New Years eve 2013 , its been about 16 days since I smoked, trying to go with it! lol quite once for 9 months! I did try a few puffs, but didn't taste right LoL :wink:
" Treat others as you would have them treat you! "
ArtistCarl

Postby jabpcola » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:27 pm

That is a great start. And it was exactly how I quit in '08. I was hospitalized for 10 days with pneumonia. Smoked a cigarette between the clinic and emergency room, a drive of 4 miles. I haven't touched, or even wanted to touch, one since. So I have been quit for 5 years. I have my semi-annual checkup in September and the doc said my x-ray and blood work were "spot on perfect". I smoked for over 50 years, pneumonia fixed my habit, maybe it will do the same for you! Hang in there it is worth it~ :wink:
jabpcola

Postby ArtistCarl » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Thanks jabpcola ! Bless you! sorry don't know your name LoL Sincerely Carl Im trying to stick with it !!!? :wink:
" Treat others as you would have them treat you! "
ArtistCarl

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:56 pm

Hang in there man. 15 months smoke free here. You can do it.!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 am

jabpcola wrote:That is a great start. And it was exactly how I quit in '08. I was hospitalized for 10 days with pneumonia. Smoked a cigarette between the clinic and emergency room, a drive of 4 miles. I haven't touched, or even wanted to touch, one since. So I have been quit for 5 years. I have my semi-annual checkup in September and the doc said my x-ray and blood work were "spot on perfect". I smoked for over 50 years, pneumonia fixed my habit, maybe it will do the same for you! Hang in there it is worth it~ :wink:

Hmm, from what I see I might have to get sick too :?
matinee

Postby nimby » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:04 pm

I too had pneumonia 2008. Ended up in ICU for a week. Quit smoking for a few months then but went right baack at it. Then in July 2009 my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer although she quit smoking several years back. She is now under 80 lbs. and in palliative care in my home. I quit in October of 2011. It's pretty hard to watch a parent fade away, but this is the second time for me, and it doesn't get any easier. My dad was a smoker too and died in 1980 due to esophageal cancer when I was only 10. So now that I'm a dad, I don't want to put my kids through the same thing. I just hope I'm not too late. :(

Please don't smoke. People love you.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby jabpcola » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:49 am

Nimby, I am sorry about your mom. My wife was diagnosed with stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer in December 08. The oncologist gave her 1-3 months. She was a fighter and didn't go easily. 60 sessions of radiation, 18 weeks of chemo, numerous overnights in the hospital for transfusions/infusions. She passed away in August of '09. I had tried for a year to get her to quit, but she always started back up. Truth was it was already too late when I quit a year earlier. Watching her die was the hardest thing I have ever done. Viet Nam didn't even come close! No matter how you cut it, cigarettes kill, no ifs, ands, or buts!

I wish you all the success in the world in staying smoke free! God bless you and your mom!
jabpcola

Postby mickk3 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

MIck here - newbie

I smoked heavily until 3 years ago. after only kinda trying to quit a few times i'd decided 'enough'... enough with smelling like a cigarette all the time, enough with periodontal abscesses, enough with throwing money away and enough with feeling weak or like a leper.

It was damn hard. harder than what they told me... and it took longer than any of the information I'd read. but I locked my doors, closed the blinds, turned my phone off and finally did it.

what took the average ex-smoker to get past in 3 days, took me 6 or 7.

these two sources helped a little
http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com/
and reading this information often
http://whyquit.com/whyquit/a_benefits_time_table.html
(i'd focus on the next goal)

.. that and the entire Vicar of Dibley series that I watched one after the other between falling into coma's

i still like the smell of the smoke in the air, but not on people or heir clothes.
my checklist before closing the front door in the morning is STILL - 'wallet?, cigarettes?, keys?'
i'm not tempted to smoke... it seems foreign to me now
i couldn't date a smoker or even spend a whole lot of time with one

so yeah.. good luck to anyone who tries to quit. I hate to be 'that guy' but i'm gonna be him.. i'm gonna say it - 'It's totally worth it'!
mickk3

Postby nimby » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Much agreed. coming up on two years smoke free for me. Woot woot!!!!
It's the hardest and most satisfying thing I ever did, quitting smoking.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Well Done Nimby, Well Done! I'm still amongst the "unclean"... and given the price of cigarettes here in Europe, I'll be amongst the broke. :oops:
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:26 pm

You have to want to quit first. Don't even bother till you've reached that point.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby mickk3 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:36 pm

quit 3+ years ago after being a serious smoker for years... about 2 packs a day at the end. I took chantex (sp?) for a few days, 5 or 7 or so) before I quit and then quit cigarettes and it the same day.

the first 5 days were hell.. after that it was still hell-like but a little less every week .. St. Patricks Day in Galway was no easy ride, that's for sure. I took one of my friends smokes and tucked it in my sock... grabbed some matches on my way out the bar ('I need to take a walk. no no... I'm fine.. just want to walk a bit') and turned the corner, retrieved the stolen cigarette and ... and decided to crush it before I could light it.

There were other times too. It's an addicting habit for sure. I got through them and now the thought doesn't even appeal to me.

i can't imagine smoking again.. it feels like a foreign concept, but I like the smell in the air (hate it on a person).
mickk3

Previous

Return to Users Forum