I've Kept It All These Years

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

I've Kept It All These Years

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Last week I was visiting my parents and decided to go through the boxes that I've stored in the basement for the past 30 years. I came across stuff that I haven't seen since I left home. In spite of great intentions of "cleaning house", I just couldn't part with my manual typewriter (a vintage 1930's model that just "feels right" when you type on it), a collection of 8-track tapes (for those of you who don't know what they are ~ Google 'em!), my high school letterman's jacket (it's a bit tight, but still fits), and a couple of real steel Tonka toys (Google those too). Nothing that will make me a star on the Antiques Roadshow, but treasures nonetheless.

What have you held on to all these years?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: I've Kept It All These Years

Postby olywaguy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:45 am

I am the keeper of the family pictures. I also have my stamp collection which I've had since I was 12 years old.

I did have at one time an Evel Knievel doll. It was one of those toys where he came with his motorcycle and it came with a pump to make the motorcycle go. The pump and the motorcycle were long gone but the doll managed to survive...not in very good condition I am afraid. I just don't know where it is right now.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:06 am

After my house burned and we were allowed to go in and try to salvage what we could, my wife went to get some pictures and I went straight to our bedroom. There it was on the top shelf of the closet wrapped in an old pillow case. He was safe. It was the first toy I got as a baby and kept him safe all my life. My best friend, my confidant...

My teddy bear. He is safe with me now. :) And yup, I'm 41 and don't care what yall think.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:06 am

Guinness Fan wrote:and a couple of real steel Tonka toys (Google those too).

Cool! I have a couple of my real steel Tonka trucks and a toy tractor. Back from when they made toys to be indestructable. Nowadays they'd be considered too dangerous with sharp edges and all that. Keep one of the trucks on a shelf in my office. Always a conversation piece.

And for some reason I still have a pair of gym shorts from my P.E. uniform in high school (back when you had to purchase the school uniform for gym class) and one of my track & field uniforms (I think from when I was a sophmore - circa 1978). Was I really ever that skinny? :o And a pair of Justin western boots that I got for my 18th birthday.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby Marvinteck » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:34 am

I grew up on an farm and i always wanted to be a farmer when i grew up. I still have a small collection of toy tractors I played with as a kid. they certainly do not make stuff like they used too. Its all plastic crud now. Planned obsolescence has become common place when manufacturing stuff.
Marvinteck

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:51 pm

I just took a break from cleaning out a closet that I've been meaning to tackle for the past 3 years ~ boxes that I've bee carting around the world for years... I came across a box of old tax returns ~ dating back to 1984 when I started working full-time. I think we're only supposed to keep them for 3 - 5 years for the IRS...Into the shredder they went... 17K/year in 1984 was good money for a recent college grad...Ah, the memories in that box........
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Users Forum