Stress relieving hobby.

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Stress relieving hobby.

Postby ispeaktexan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:44 pm

Anybody have one of those?
I really need to get one.
A while back ago, I was out at the race track (track, not drag strip) And I got to do a run, which i never got to do, and it was just an instructional run, but it really really felt good to drive out there...
So now I really want to learn as much as i can about cars, and hopefully be able to get something really good for running, and actually running it out there.
Everyone else knows so much more than me, I'm very far behind. But i can assure...it feels great.
Dang, I don't know I just need something to do.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Re: Stress relieving hobby.

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 am

Facebook seems to be all the rage right now. It starts to snowball after awhile. The more time you waste there, the more you want to waste. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Gardening is stress relieving most of the time. If you don't have a yard a balcony can be a small garden. There is much to learn about and if a plant dies, there's tons more down at the nursery.

I paint, but I find it quite stressful. It is very hard to do well and the paint doesn't ever co-operate. I highly recommend avoiding acrylic paints as the most difficult medium of all paints. It's messy and requires a work space where the odd splatter of paint is of no consequence. Painting can become quite expensive as well.

Keeping a journal can burn up time and relieve stress and you might attempt writing a story about your life or the life of someone you know a bit about.

I make videos for YouTube for a hobby but it's hard to find interesting subject material. My best result is closing in on 6,000 views but I now consider that chump change. Still trying to make that 100,000 view video. If you have a pet, you have a ready made subject and animals are always popular, particularly if you ad voice overlays (talking animals).
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:04 pm

butch wrote:Gardening is stress relieving most of the time. If you don't have a yard a balcony can be a small garden. There is much to learn about and if a plant dies, there's tons more down at the nursery.

I paint, but I find it quite stressful. It is very hard to do well and the paint doesn't ever co-operate. I highly recommend avoiding acrylic paints as the most difficult medium of all paints. It's messy and requires a work space where the odd splatter of paint is of no consequence. Painting can become quite expensive as well.

Keeping a journal can burn up time and relieve stress and you might attempt writing a story about your life or the life of someone you know a bit about.

I make videos for YouTube for a hobby but it's hard to find interesting subject material. My best result is closing in on 6,000 views but I now consider that chump change. Still trying to make that 100,000 view video. If you have a pet, you have a ready made subject and animals are always popular, particularly if you ad voice overlays (talking animals).

Hmm well I am not artistic at all, at least not when it involves me drawing something. Something I am semi good at is photo manipulation. I'm good with photoshop for the most part, but I've tried drawing on photoshop and it was horrible. So i'm not a very artistic person at all. I'm more of a logical/ maths and sciences guy. I haven't tried gardening really, but I can't really see me keeping much of an interest in it. Maybe one day i'll give it a go. For now I for sure want to hit the track though, it makes me forget everything. Its fun. I wouldn't know what to talk about on youtube videos.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:32 pm

Masturbation.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 pm

Going to the gym helps shed stress for me.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 pm

I doubt one can force one's self into a hobby. I expect most people just stumble into their hobbies by fate.

My dad played the horses (with jockey on top). He once won $10,000 on a long shot, but mostly he broke even or managed to pay for the day at the track with his winnings. I don't think he ever lost money on the day. He seldom bet to win but mostly to place or show. He would spend hours analyzing the racing form and the history of the horses' past races. And he loved his car... always had a fairly new model in spite of the fact we weren't well off. But we were 5 kids so it made for lots of family outings and trips by car.

Forcing one's self into a hobby just doesn't sound cool... but one could explore things that might bring in some extra cash that are fun to do. For me, photography and painting are just something I've been doing most of my life. Sounds like you should be looking for something computer related... make web pages for people or something. I enjoy simple web page construction. I only know basic HTML and would have to study or take some courses to make anything fancier. You could learn BASIC and some other simple computer languages such as C or C++ and try to write applications for FaceBook or something. With a bit of luck you could get rich... the trick is to come up with a good idea.

Even a variation on an existing application can sell. Many local governments are opening up their digital information files so there's gold in there somewhere as regards applications. A free stockpile of information waiting to be mined. One application that is popular (in Vancouver) is getting a reminder on your smart phone to put out the garbage (garbage collection days change every time there is a holiday in Vancouver... they get set forward 1 or 2 days).
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:52 pm

Butch is right, it's hard to think one can force oneself into a hobby. Might not be the stress-reliever you seek. People usually find what works for them by trial and error, trying things out that pique their interest until something just 'hits' as the right thing for them where they discover pleasure in the pursuit and a sometimes a sense of accomplishment. And often, yes, some stress relief as it can occupy one's mind (and/or body) to the point where all else falls away for a while. For some a hobby can become all-consuming for their time outside needing to make a living (I work with a guy who seems to spend every non-working hour on model trains - the fascination for which escapes me, but it sure works for him). And Butch is right about some people finding something that may bring in extra cash, which is a bonus. I know one guy who started out in photography as a hobby, found he was very good at it and ultimately is now making a fair living at it.

I'd say try anything that interests you. After a while that interest may subside, but that's OK. It's meant to be a hobby and enjoyable. Everyone has interests that ebb and wane over time. You might come back to something later. Or not.

Having said all that, it's very difficult to beat Rico's suggestion (so to speak...) as a cheap, stress-relieving hobby!
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby Rico » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 am

madsglen wrote:Having said all that, it's very difficult to beat Rico's suggestion (so to speak...) as a cheap, stress-relieving hobby!

I was in a hurry when I read and replied to the post, so "masturbation" was the only thing I had at hand. :lol:

Seriously, you are absolutely right that a hobby has to match interests. Although not a "hobby" in the classical sense, one of the most rewarding and satisfying hobbies I ever found was in volunteering my skills and services to serve my local community. For many years I was a one-on-one reading tutor for the local literacy council. I specialized in teaching reading and English to non-English speaking adults. [And, no, you don't have to speak the other language in order to teach them to read and speak. Most of my students were either Korean or Russian, and I don't speak a word of either. It's a longer process, but it's possible.]

I found it a great way to fill my time, to give something back to the community, and to help another human being achieve their own dream.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Well i'm getting a summer job.
I'm also deciding to take up racing as my hobby. But track, not drag.
So yeah, i'ma try learning, i've been very fascinated since last time i went so it seems this is a good match.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:05 am

If you did it, enjoyed and now want to do more of it, it doesn't sound like you are forcing [not sure why everyone is saying that] yourself to enjoy or get into this hobby, which btw can be quite rewarding in the fun dept [car stuff].

If you are talking about open track racing there are tons of cheap cars that fit that bill. Some are reliable some not so much. 50 million HP is not a winner here either, a well balanced package thats does everything really well [and you just enhance all that stuff as your mods] will do well. Miatas are good, start with good tires, suspension work, brakes, followed by minor engine mods like an air intake and exhaust.. eventually a turbo.

I was recently in a Miata that had a high mile stock motor, but lots of suspension mods, and good grippy tires and it was a go kart!
--------------
Schlodesss

Return to Users Forum