Online Chatting

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Online Chatting

Postby WED » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:16 pm

I know chat rooms are kind of 1996, but one of the reasons I joined this group was to get to know some people of like mind. Its great to read and post on the board. However, its not the real interaction I hoped for. Since we do not to meet ups that often....I was wondering what would be involved in adding a chat room to the site. Is this something that would interest anyone else?
WED

Re: Online Chatting

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:29 pm

it would interest a lot of people I think, and it's something we're working on. There used to be one here a few years ago. This place was very different before the big bomb, or so I've been told, and are slowly working on returning it to it's former glory.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:07 pm

I posted a similar question recently and the item is still pending. [See link below.] Since then I've done some research on my own, and now I appeciate how complicated it can all be. There is plenty of software out there to accomplish the task (some free, some quite costly, and a bunch in between, and all with their own problems, bugs and limitations) so I would understand why a board owner like Tom-SA would be hesitant to add such a module to his board.

One of the biggest challenges comes with moderating live chat. Without a moderator looking on or participating 24/7, it would be impossible to maintain the board standards and enforce the rules. IOW....an unmoderated chat feature here (especially given our experiences over the past several weeks with some members) could turn into a real clusterf*ck.

http://www.straightacting.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=24972
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:17 pm

I would gladly pay $$$ to help improve the site. An annual fee?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:18 pm

And you would be available 24/7 to moderate when crazy a***holes come in abusing other members?
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:21 pm

That I couldn't do. I wish I could. But would a chat feature need to be moderated?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Given the membership, which includes those under 18, along with the standards, rules and purpose of the board, I would think, "Yes."
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:34 pm

I was thinking of more pm instant chat, one on one.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:40 pm

That's already available if members are interested because they can put their IM addresses in their profiles if they want. I thought we were talking about a real-time chat-room type thing.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Though, the Butch Board may not have a chat room available, quite a few of us have Yahoo Messenger (YIM) and MSN Messenger so we can communicate with other members of the board.

Take a look at anyone's profile and check and see if they have YIM or MSN and contact them that way.

At one time, there were a whole bunch of us that would get together and chat on YIM for long hours, but I don't think that has happened for a very long time now. Would be nice to get it started again.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Return to Users Forum