Trying to Loose Weight

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Re: Trying to Loose Weight

Postby catapult » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:45 am

Nimby,

As long as you're not digesting, a cup of watered-down ice won't hurt you. Just watch those fillings! I used to chew on ice all the time when I was a teenager. Then, believe it or not, I read where chewing on ice was a sign of sexual repression! Well, I was deep in the closet at the time so the shoe fit!

Actually a good aid to losing weight is to sip sorta hot or warm water through out the day. Not so appealing in the summertime, but great in the winter and wet or rainy seasons. It acts to dissolve and remove toxins. Tea and coffee don't work as effectively, but may also have some similar effect, especially the right kind of herbal tea. I believe they even have de-tox teas and weight loss teas.

GL
catapult

Postby LtotheP » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:33 am

So I didnt really learn anything from this forum...there really isnt any secrets to loosing weight is there?

Ive been calculating my caloric need to mantain my weight at bed rest and add or minus what I eat or burn. seems to be working.

overall Im gana say im on the right track.
LtotheP

Postby JakeMIke » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 am

I hope you did learn something! The lesson is that there are no short cuts, but doing research on diet and exercise, and being consistent with both and adding a lot of patience will get you to your goals.

Never give up.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:56 pm

For now nothing is happening, but when im older, eh with my habits...lets not go there.

Lets just say i need to change my habits soon. I have a habit of eating around midnight or 2 am.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby catapult » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Yeah, late night eating is the worst. In fact lunch should be the big meal of the day and supper should be light.

GL
catapult

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:29 pm

My dinner is always the biggest, and then afterwards i still eat after that...

Haha. I get hungry.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby LtotheP » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:25 am

JakeMIke wrote:I hope you did learn something! The lesson is that there are no short cuts, but doing research on diet and exercise, and being consistent with both and adding a lot of patience will get you to your goals.

Never give up.

I guess I should have said I didnt learn and new information. But thanks guys!
LtotheP

Postby butch » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Diets may help to take it off, but one has to change one's lifestyle or the pounds will return faster than you can blink.

My ideas: You may have to avoid meats or start eating organic meats. All meats contain growth hormones. Yes, indeedy, no matter what our "reliable" government sources have to say about it.

You have to avoid trans-fats. Cloudy says that, because they have a kink in their molecular structure, unlike animal fats, they are hard to dislodge once on your thighs and every else... legs, arms, you name it. It may take a lot of exercise and feeling tired to get rid of it... or you can just starve yourself. Expect to feel tired, so have breakfast and a teensy dinner. You will feel exhausted, but you don't have to go to work until morning when you can have a HIGH FIBER breakfast... cereal. And whole wheat is sh*t. It only means there is no OTHER kind of flour in it. Cheerios are WHOLE GRAIN and have the essential B vitamins you are desperately going to need as you shed the pounds. And take extra D with C (to help it assimilate).

Avoid low fat foods. They are laced with sugar and salt to make them taste better. Eat your fats... the non trans-fats. Milk works.
Treat yourself to WHOLE 3.5% milk with your cheerios and coffee because tonight, when you fast, you are going to be in one ugly mood... but you will get tired
and fall asleep. Set the alarm so you don't sleep in first.

You have to have a diet meal plan.

Here is the plan. You MUST count calories. If you are an average size person and want to lose weight, you have to eat less than 2000 calories a day. This is very hard to do these days. You need to bring down your calories to about 1500-1600 a day.

So.... have a good breakfast of 1,000 calories. Lunch is a salad and a drink. Dinner is very, very, very low calorie.

This is wut's you are going to eat... rice, vegetables, and a vitamin pill plus a drink of milk.

You are going to go out and buy a whole bunch of UNCLE BEN'S Bistro Express meals
. They are each only 125-140 calories per 125 grams.... averages about a calorie per gram so about 300 odd calories per package... serves one. You are going to buy GREEN GIANT mixed veggies because they are the best mix and taste best. The veggies are cooked in very little water. Bring the water to a boil, add your veggies, bring back to a boil, cook for 5-7 minutes to taste, drain off the water. The Rice will take 90 seconds in a micro-wave. Now you are eating. Take your vitamin pill and you can have a glass of milk, or a drink. Your meal is boing to be about 300 calories. If you get hungry late at night, have a glass of milk, but not too much.

You can eat a big breakfast tomorrow morning... 800-1,000 calories... that will be your reward. You will start to lose weight in about a week. Good luck. :D

Butch says so.
Last edited by butch on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby catapult » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:45 pm

I think an average size man can lose weight on 2000-2500 calories a day, especially if you are doing some exercise, even light exercise like a good walk every day.

I think we maintain weight on about 2,500-3,000 a day. So cut back some from there and make sure you get some exercise and it should come off a pound or so a week. Slow and steady and it will stay off.

GL
catapult

Postby butch » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:54 pm

The topic inspired me to make a video...

watch at YouTube.com.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eogFNDNF62s
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby LtotheP » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Update: I have now lost about 30 pounds since the June 1 - and About 45 lbs since my top weight!
LtotheP

Postby ispeaktexan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:09 pm

Good! Keep it up!
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby LtotheP » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:13 pm

furface wrote:I got some experience here. Used to weigh-in at 265-270, standing 5'8". Told folks I weren't overweight, just 18" too short. :) In September 1989 I was diagnosed as diabetic, type II. During the following year the weight went down too 158-160, and I'm still there.

There's no secret involved. Just make a change in your lifestyle - eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and don't deprive yourself. The worst thing you can do is adopt a diet regimen that is too restrictive and leaves you feeling deprived. That's a program for failure. Also turn in your Clean Plate Club card, especially at restaurants. Cutting back on alcohol is also a good idea since they're essentially empty calories. I'm not saying go to a teetotaler lifestyle, just realize the amount of calories that come in liquid form and act responsibly.

And remember there is NO quick fix here. It took time to gain the weight and it's gonna take time to lose it. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Good luck.

Great to here furface! I do have a question about losing that much weight though - I’m kind of scared that I’m going to have a lot of extra skin after that will require surgery. From what I have read on the internet I should be Okay if I lose the weight slowly and build muscle. I’m lucky enough that my akin is still fairly elastic so I’m just wondering how that went for you?

And as and FYI for the thread. When I started the weight loss (Im trying not to call it a diet - Im not on a diet. Im changing the way I live) in June I kept and have kept a food diary counting everything I ate and any exercise. I tried for a negative caloric intake of about 1500 a day. I did this for a couple reasons - To teach myself how many calories are in things (I may have thought about calories the odd time but now I am very observant of what I eat and what I have eaten in a day) and get used to eating a lot less. I wish I would have seen (or remembered) what I was eating some days. I know some meals I used to have are sometimes what I eat in a day now (for example when I used to go to McDonalds - I would order a double cheeseburger meal with a sprite and then another double cheeseburger. The meal was cheap just over $6 bucks Canadian and made me full. Calories in it: 1420 (so maybe not my whole day...but well over 2/3 of what I eat in a day) - fat: 61 grams (94% of DV) - Sodium:2610 (109% of DV) - Sugars: 65 (my mom is a Type 1 Diabetic so I know how many sugars I need in a meal...Im sorry body) - Fibre 8 grams (32% of DV). Fast food should not be promoted as any kind of meal...).

Im pretty impressed with my self - although I know as I start to lose more weight the harder I will have to work out - It’s not hard to lose weight when you are as big as me. Just eat around 1500-2500 calories a day and the pounds seem to waste away (I do eat more when I work out...I love those 2500 calorie days haha).
LtotheP

Postby JustJack » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:45 pm

Since you mentioned you keep a journal you might be interested in something called FitDay on the web. My partner has been using it for a couple of months. It's a free online journal to track your nutrition intake and helps you analyze your progress and set goals. He loves this thing. He spends 5 or 10 minutes a day on it entering the things he's eaten and seeing where he needs to make adjustments to get as many of the major nutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc) from natural foods as possible while taking in fewer calories.

He didn't need to lose much weight to begin with. He's lost around 25lbs I think and is maybe 5lbs away from his goal. He has a very small frame so that much weight loss really shows. He's essentially losing that "hard to lose" weight that you mentioned and it's just steadily melting off. He showed me the other day how the graph of his progress almost perfectly tracks a line that he set a couple of months ago when he entered his goal weight. He's eating healthier than ever in his life and he says he's never had an easier time losing weight since he's eating as much as he ever did, maybe even a bit more since he never used to snack during the day or eat a proper lunch but now he does. He's just eating a lot better.

I can't really say much about FidDay myself since I haven't looked at it that closely but I thought since he loves it so much I should mention it to you.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not your sport.
JustJack

Postby butch » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:37 pm

Furface makes a GOOD point re: ALCOHOL

I don't drink so didn't even think about that fat making habit. A few beers a day will kill any health or diet plan... you wouldn't even need to eat to get any calories.Very good point. And the diary thing is good too. I did that when I was seriously trying to lose weight in a hurry about 10 years ago. I'm currently trying to lose weight by adjusting my eating habits. My diet (if you can call it that... too much chocolate milk and strawberry ice cream... yummy) became so horrible I began having a variety of symptoms (hair loss on my legs, and many ingrown hairs on my legs... to mention the most horrible thing). The hair is growing back and the sores are going since I began eating more sensibly and taking extra vitamin D and C.

I'm floating around 215 just now, but hope my renewed interest in my health will bring me back down to the 190's area. I recognize, now, that I have been suffering from more severe depression than I had thought. I lost my boyfriend to AIDS in '94, then my studio in '97 and didn't quite realize that I really didn't give a f**k anymore. I'm working on being less of a grouch and nicer to those who deserve it. Still have little patience for idiots... I just try to avoid them.

I think one requires a healthy mental attitude to remain healthy and keep one's weight sensible. :D :D :D :D :D
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

L: It wasn't a problem for me and shouldn't one for you either. The excess skin problem is usually with folks who have gained and lost significant amounts repeatedly and quickly, or have gained and retained massive amounts of weight for extended periods. Both will damage the connective tissue in the skin causing a permanent loss of elasticity. Believe it or not - garlic helps maintain skin elasticity, so keep it in your diet.

A couple of other things to pay attention to or at least be aware of.

First, don't weigh yourself daily; once a week is usually enough.

Second, don't get fixed on the weight alone. There will come a point where your weight will appear to plateau, and it has; but you'll still be getting smaller. Muscle weighs more per unit volume than fat; so ya lose a pound of fat and gain a pound of muscle. No net change in weight, but there will be a change in volume. So pay attention to how your clothes fit/feel.

Third, don't expect to develop a Mr. Universe physique since your body type may not support that sort of thing. Plus I doubt you've got the time or money needed to support the regimen required to get that sort of body.

Good luck!
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby nimby » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:02 am

So I'm sticking to my plans. I've lost so much weight that my clothes are falling off me (47 lbs), I'm eating right, even back at the gym three times a week and getting my shape back. Everyone's telling me I look great.

Then why, when I look in the mirror, do I still see a fat, unattractive guy? How long does it take to shake that image? Anyone?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:23 am

It should be temporary, nimby. Ya see what you expect to see based on past experience. Your current svelter self is a new image that your mind hasn't fully integrated quite yet. Give it some time and don't obsess about it.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby ispeaktexan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:51 am

47 lbs? Thats good! Keep it up.

And like furface said, temporary.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby butch » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:08 pm

ispeaktexan wrote:47 lbs? Thats good! Keep it up.

And like furface said, temporary.

Good on you... encourages me to work harder at keeping it off.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby catapult » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:19 pm

nimby 47! Great!

And LtotheP 45! Damn!

Moderation works. No crash diets required. Slow and steady wins the race!
catapult

Postby Rico » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:10 am

nimby wrote:Then why, when I look in the mirror, do I still see a fat, unattractive guy? How long does it take to shake that image? Anyone?

Wish you wouldn't have said that, first because I don't think you're unattractive, and second, because when I look at your avitar, you look like a long lost, almost twin brother that I never had. Seriously, if I were to use your avatar as mine, it wouldn't be that far off...so much so that it's kind of spooky. :wink:
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:17 am

Rico wrote:Wish you wouldn't have said that, first because I don't think you're unattractive, and second, because when I look at your avitar, you look like a long lost, almost twin brother that I never had. Seriously, if I were to use your avatar as mine, it wouldn't be that far off...so much so that it's kind of spooky. :wink:

Ha ha ha, I've told that I look a lot like Kevin Spacey (now) and James Gandolfini (when I was heavier), and I kinda see it. It's just that self image is a funny thing, and it takes a long time to fix. I'm learning that as much as you work on the outside, you have to work on the inside too.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby LtotheP » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:44 am

catapult wrote:nimby 47! Great!

And LtotheP 45! Damn!

Moderation works. No crash diets required. Slow and steady wins the race!

I think I may be going a little too fast now...Im down another 5. Which is crazy. I am now the weight I was when I was in Grade 12. Its amazing what just over two months can do!
LtotheP

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:14 pm

Everyones doing such a good job! I think i should just stop eating midnight meals and ill be fine. But i don't need to loose weight...need to gain it.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Users Forum