Trying to Loose Weight

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Trying to Loose Weight

Postby LtotheP » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:13 am

Ive struggled with my weight for the vast majority of my life (at least all my life I can remember). Im 20 years old and back in December I topped out at 320...way to *$#*@# much (imo..and prob others). I slowly lost 10 lbs... but I was so sick of it that Im going to try and reach 200. I started loosing weight on June 1 (started at 306) and now Im down to 285 - good but still have a long way to go.

For anyone else that has lost weight got any tips?
Last edited by LtotheP on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LtotheP

Re: Trying to Loose Weight

Postby JakeMIke » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:07 am

I used to be 310 and have lost about 40 lbs. now (since last August), and here's the secret - exercise regularly and change your diet. Everyone thinks there is some big secret to it and they all ask me, like I found some formula that no one knows about. You have to be consistent in your exercise habits (having a good trainer helps, or at least someone who can give you good advice) and slowly (I mean slowly and gradually!) change your diet so that you are replacing bad foods with better foods.

And be patient. It takes a while for the weight to come off, but it will come off.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:20 am

In my profession as a hypnotherapist I work with people wanting to lose or gain weight. Mostly losing, of course.
Ya it's about good diet and exercise and mental motivation which is where I can come in. However, since I started suggesting to my cliets to eliminate MSG and CORN SWEETNERS from thier diet, their loss success has gone up dramaticly! I myself lost ten pounds, weight I thought was just because I was getting older and my metabolism slowing down, simply by trying to get this crap out of my diet. I say try because our food today is so jacked up with the stuff it's a challenage not to find it in our foods, but it can.
Research these poisons on the net. There's a lot of info on them and the dangers of them in addition to causing weight gain. Just like everything else you'll find info saying it's safe. Put out, I believe by the people makeing a profit from having it in our foods. :evil:
Anyway, I thought this may help some of you. Research it. Try eliminating it. See what results you get. To me the proof is in the pudding! Oh maybe I shouldn't say pudding! :lol:
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby nimby » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:01 am

LtotheP wrote:Ive struggled with my weight for the vast majority of my life (at least all my life I can remember). Im 20 years old and back in December I topped out at 315...way to *$#*@# much (imo..and prob others). I slowly lost 10 lbs... but I was so sick of it that Im going to try and reach 200. I started loosing weight on June 1 (started at 306) and now Im down to 285 - good but still have a long way to go.

For anyone else that has lost weight got any tips?

That is great!! Good for you ! At my heaviest I was 234, which for me at 5'10", gave me a 42-44" waist, and I felt horrible. I joined a gym, but realized that to loose weight, you actually have to go there!!! So I've started going again. I cut out white breads (my favourite), sugars and started eating more fruits and veggies. Also don't drink too much water ans that hampers the digestive process. I eat cups of crushed ice. And I go for walks every night. I'm down to 190 now, and have a 36" waist. I want to get down to 170-160. Slowly. Celebrate each achievement and be kind to yourself. Teach yourself to like you and it will happen.

Any tips on how to regrow hair? LOL!!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:10 am

I got some experience here. Used to weigh-in at 265-270, standing 5'8". Told folks I weren't overweight, just 18" too short. :) In September 1989 I was diagnosed as diabetic, type II. During the following year the weight went down too 158-160, and I'm still there.

There's no secret involved. Just make a change in your lifestyle - eat sensibly, exercise regularly, and don't deprive yourself. The worst thing you can do is adopt a diet regimen that is too restrictive and leaves you feeling deprived. That's a program for failure. Also turn in your Clean Plate Club card, especially at restaurants. Cutting back on alcohol is also a good idea since they're essentially empty calories. I'm not saying go to a teetotaler lifestyle, just realize the amount of calories that come in liquid form and act responsibly.

And remember there is NO quick fix here. It took time to gain the weight and it's gonna take time to lose it. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Good luck.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:09 pm

Haha im trying to put weight on and i can't.
I would say cut out simple carbs & sugars, foods high in saturated fats...eat food high in fiber. I don't know, and combine it with cardio.

I want to gain weight, well not weight but mass. Especially in my legs, i want big legs, and i just can't get them. :/ Im not big anywhere. Im skinny, but geez my legs are skinny. And its funny when people don't believe when you say you CAN'T gain weight.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby solitaryman1969 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 pm

I've got the same problem as you Texan.

My goal is to go up to 175lbs of muscle, but with my dietary habits it's very hard.

I'm lucky though, that I've always had big legs, especially calf muscles, from walking everywhere I go.

I'm the opposite of most guys in the gym.

Slim upper body, big legs.

Most of the guys in the gym are BIG upper bodies, scrawny chicken legs.

It takes time to lose or gain weight, healthfully.
"Time is priceless, yet it costs us nothing. You can do anything you want with it, except own it. You can spend it, but you can't keep it. And once you've lost it, there is no getting it back. It's just gone."
solitaryman1969

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:47 pm

I don't eat horrible, or healthy either.
I ran 2 miles everyday for two motnhs.
I walk alot. I still have skinny legs. I don't have a large upper body. But i can develop it easily.
My legs on the other hand are so hard to develop for me. About 4 years ago i had big legs. But thats when i had weight training as a class.
I haven't had access to heavy weights recently. But you better believe when i do, im giong to focus on legs. Its embarassing.
I hate it.

Im around 5 '8 and weigh around 135. But i want to start putting on weight. I feel too thin.

Im not annorexic thin or anything. But want to be thicker if that makes sense? Not toned, not massive, not fat, not skinny, just thicker. Its always difficult for me to explain to people.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:48 pm

Im lying haha. I want to be thicker, but eventually i want to attempt to get more mass. But i don't like how it looks when guys are super toned or anything. I like it when its more of a muscular physique with some definition but not super defined.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:00 am

ispeaktexan wrote:Im lying haha. I want to be thicker, but eventually i want to attempt to get more mass. But i don't like how it looks when guys are super toned or anything. I like it when its more of a muscular physique with some definition but not super defined.

If I'm not mistaken you mentioned on another thread you are in you early or so twenites. If thats the case give it time Tx. It will happen just don't rush it too much by eating all the fatty foods and foods we know are bad for us. I've know guys like you who did and by the time their metabolisms slowed down they became these fat guys who thought they looked good but really looked just big and fat.
Daknee

Postby ispeaktexan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:31 am

Ha well actually im 18.

Not even early twenties. I really should give it time and i will.
I dont eat badly.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:47 am

Don't rush it Tex. Really. Your body will change.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:02 pm

nimby wrote:Don't rush it Tex. Really. Your body will change.

Yeah i wont. Just gotta have patience. Damn i like being called tex.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:27 pm

So Tex you will be from now on. :D
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:41 pm

Thank you haha.
I have no reason for liking it but it seems sexy or something.

This coming year im going to start working out i think. I plan on getting a job later in the year.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:48 pm

ispeaktexan wrote:Damn i like being called tex.

Oh, good. Glad you weren't offended when I did that in an earlier post. 'Tex' it is, then!

And try not to dwell too much on 'bulking up'. Really. You're not done growin' yet. Sounds like you excercise, which is great. And eat relatively well, which is also good. I was a 'skinny' kid at your age and eventually things sort of worked themselves out. Are there times I wish I could go back and have the body I had in my late teens and early twenties? Sure (mostly my hairline...) but your body will definitely do what it's supposed to do over the next few years yet.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby ispeaktexan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:21 pm

no actually i liked it! feels good. yeah ill be fine. your hairline looks fine in that picture. i just cut my hair short. it used to be passed my eyebrows...and wavy. Now its really short.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:25 pm

madsglen wrote:Are there times I wish I could go back and have the body I had in my late teens and early twenties? Sure (mostly my hairline...)

Bwaa haa haa. Me too. I got a bottle of Rogaine for Father's Day. I guess that makes up for the new tires I got her last Christmas.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:35 pm

haha thats super funny!
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:08 pm

ispeaktexan wrote:
nimby wrote:Don't rush it Tex. Really. Your body will change.

Yeah i wont. Just gotta have patience. Damn i like being called tex.

I'm glad you don't mind being called Tex. I only did it initially because from my brain to my fingers I couldn't type your whole user name. :lol: Sounds like you are officially knighted TEX! :D
Daknee

Postby ispeaktexan » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:19 pm

great now if people could call me that in real life lol.

but im not the only texan in texas obviously
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:11 pm

I went from 225 to 170 in 4 months. No big secret - I just remove a fifth of the food that I think I need from the plate and do not use sodas as a substitute for water. I still pig out now and then. No harm in that.

There really is no magic - if you drink sugar laced drinks instead of water, eat ready made (processed) foods and snacks then you will get fat. Just lowering the quantity of food is better because then it is not some silly restrictive "diet". In the end a calorie is a calorie is a calorie.
matinee

Postby catapult » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Nimby,

We still need to drink enough water, but better not to drink a lot with meals, or just sips. Crushed ice is bad for digestion as digestion is a heat process and ice will stop it cold. Restaurants serving ice water with meals is the absolute worst thing.

Learn how much is in your food - fats, carbos, protein and how many calories are in that junk food. Just switching to more moderate snacks with fewer calories could lose you a couple pounds a week.

A pound is 3500 calories. Subtract 500 calories a day from your intake by cutting out or back on a few foods and with exercise and you should lose a pound a week.

GL
catapult

Postby nimby » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:17 pm

catapult wrote:Nimby,

We still need to drink enough water, but better not to drink a lot with meals, or just sips. Crushed ice is bad for digestion as digestion is a heat process and ice will stop it cold. Restaurants serving ice water with meals is the absolute worst thing.

GL

Thanks for the tip, though I never eat ice with a meal. I eat it only as a snack in the evenings instead of chowing down on a bag of chips. I usually havea little water. Is it still ok?
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:13 am

One important thing I would recommend is once you start changing your habits stick to the change. Once you correct your bad habits and stick to them losing weight will become much easier. You don't have to go all out at first. Once you start eating better and exercising regularly keep at it. In the long run it makes it much easier to continue staying healthy and being at an ideal weight. I can tell you from experience once you go back to your old ways it makes it much harder to revert. You can always have a bad night and splurge. Just remember to stick to what you start.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Users Forum