Official "So what'd y'all do this weekend???" II

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Postby Cajun » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:10 pm

Worked on Saturday - stayed home that night.

Made Strawberry Preserves on Sunday morning before Mass, then came home and continued re-locating the lilies that Smitty (Herb) sent over a few years back.

Cooked Turkey Necks and White Beans for dinner - yum.......

Are ya'll SURE I'm gay???????
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby foxeyes2 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Cajun wrote:Worked on Saturday - stayed home that night.

Made Strawberry Preserves on Sunday morning before Mass, then came home and continued re-locating the lilies that Smitty (Herb) sent over a few years back.

Cooked Turkey Necks and White Beans for dinner - yum.......

Are ya'll SURE I'm gay???????

Making preserves before Mass? Oh yeah you are gay.
We are all one tribe. We are all one people.
Reduce Reuse Recycle
foxeyes2

Postby chrismanos » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:52 am

Concert Rehearsal with Lea DeLaria Friday night.

Saturday...hit the market, mowed, shopped for booze, made pineapple salsa, sang in concert with Lea DeLaria.

Sunday - Breakfast and 12 hours on the boat with an amazing guy...
"It's all very well in practice, but in theory it won't work."
chrismanos

Postby blackmet » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:35 pm

Friday: Worked, then went to see Skid Row at the Grizzly Rose with a couple friends. Good show, but my hearing got fucked up for a day. Not because of the band, but because my drunk friend screamed in my ear REALLY loud. She also got felt up by a chick in the bathroom and got a phone number.

Saturday: Started my new shift at work. 10-6:15. I can tell I'm gonna' hate this shift already, even though I've been going 30 minutes between calls, they won't give me Voluntary Unpaid Time because my department gets slammed at 6PM when the licensed agents leave. I get kept to handle 2 phone calls from the time of 6:00-6:15, basically. I'm dead serious.

Went home for a bit, headed over to a friends place, then off to the karaoke bar with a couple of friends. Potential boyfriend met us there. We played a couple games of pool, smoked many cigarettes, did a weird duet version of "Friends in Low Places," and I managed to give him a kiss at the end of the night. I think I might be dating a 23 year old bisexual wannabe movie director.

Sunday: Woke up at noon. Watched the Rockies beat the Pirates 5-4 on TV. Read. Did a bit of grocery shopping. Rode my bike. And now I'm watching Quick Pitch and trying to get the motivation to clean the apartment.
We can sit for a while and talk about
The things that bring you down
Like heaven and martini's
And boys that hang around
If if told you my biggest secret
Would you promise me you'd stay?
It isn't what you're thinking
It's simple in a way
blackmet

Postby Schlodesss » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:13 pm

Ate Birthday [mine] cake friday and busted my ass basically all weekend.

Went from this,

to this:

Replaced a lot of stuff.. and found a LOT of stuff along the way that needed fixing. This was the hardest resto ever so far.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Cajun » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:11 am

Krylon on the stump - that's gonna leave a rash........ :P
Cajun

Postby Schlodesss » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:18 am

Not krylon fusion, I didn't paint the plastic.

Tremclad.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby DeckApe » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:02 am

So does the stump fit in the box in the other picture? :shock:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Schlodesss » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:42 am

I've never tried putting the stump into the box, but it looks tight for sure.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby Schlodesss » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:55 pm

So this was how I spent Friday..

So I had to give my mom a ride to Erieau today to see some friends. On the way we kinda take a back way and go through the marsh and along the lake then to Wheatley.. Going through the marsh, we find this guy on the road lol. Take a few pics then clear him off the road and put him into the bog..

Camera shy..

So I am on my way to Erieau, and am telling my mom that Scones and I saw about 3 dead Fox snakes a few days back all on this road, shame as there just aren't many left in existence compared to 15-20 yrs ago, actually they are on the endangered species list. Find another dead one... then about 5 mins later just after Port Crewe I see these kids with this HUGE Fox snake and they are way mishandling him and trying to stuff him in a mailbox and watched them close the door on his neck... I whipped around, and pulled in, I just simply asked if I could have the snake and told them I kept and took care of them and had this big thing..... kid hands it int he window and says "we were going to lock him in my friends car then who knows what after that..". My mom leaned back and I put this thing [easily 5+ feet] around my neck and he just sits there and looks out the closed window. I drove this way for about 20 mins:

... thing didn't move.. I think it was happy to be away from the kids, they were being pretty rough.. and told me "watch out he's biting...". FWIW, it never attemped to strike once. Get about 2 mins from my moms friend's house and he went to slither over to my mom and she got spooked, which spooked him... so we switched drivers. Get to buddies and he gives me a pillow case.. so we put him in.. goal is to bring it to Point Pelee and let him go there... Drive home, Pt Pelee wouldn't take it :roll:

So on the way out.. to a spot I knew of... I find this... :lol: Middle of the street someone woman coming around the corner didn't even move for him, he went luckily under her car between the tires somehow... took more pics then helped him across lol into the marsh...

Back to the Fox snake, I found a suitable spot that wasn't full of farmland and high traffic roads and had MILES of bush, marshland etc... and let him go but not w/o some pics. It's been years since I have seen one of these... and the pics don't do him justice he was HUGE. And talk about strong. What a cool animal.

Saw a bunch of Leopard Frogs too where we let the snake go... Most stuff I have seen in a 6 hour period.. Sorry for the long post..
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby J » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:19 pm

Great pics! and nice of you to save that poor snake. It was probably not venemous, judging by the eyes (round pupils instead of uh...cat-like pupils?). It definitely didn't seem aggressive. I've seen a few like that around here and there are no venemous snakes in the area, and they're all rather tame, although timid. I had trouble catching them as a kid as they got away too fast. The ones I did manage to catch I always let go maybe 10 minutes later. But in CA, I had a close encounter with a massive rattlesnake on a hiking trail. Good thing I don't have a phobia of them. I just stood about 5' away and waited for it to slither off into the brush. I wish I had my camera, I would have taken pictures, it was impressive!

It's funny how I have no problem with snakes, yet if that rattler was something more "tarantula" like, I probably would have gone into cardiac arrest.
J

Postby furface » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:24 pm

First one's an Eastern Box Turtle; and the other is a Red Eared Slider. The Box is a woodland critter. The Slider is more aquatic. Turtles are cool! There's a slew of 'em in the pond near my place. Mostly Sliders; but there are several Texas Spiny Soft Shell Turtles as well.

It's a shame the Fox Snake now has a very limited habitat - the area near the lake shores of Huron and Erie in Ontario, Michigan, and Ohio. They are really cool critters.

Steve - you're a good dude!
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Re: Official "So what'd y'all do this weekend???" II

Postby jkav » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:25 pm

Went to Grant's Farm in St. Louis this weekend with my sister's family. They still give out free beer there, which I was happy to learn. My sister told me she'd send me a photo she took of me running away from the goats. New avatar, perhaps?
A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:39 pm

Homework...& sleep.
Alot of sleep.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:04 am

Sunday I watched about 2 hours of the Three Stooges on YouTube. I love those guys!
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:05 am

Worked Friday.

Worked Saturday.

Cooked Sunday.

Next?
Cajun

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:11 am

you cooked an entire day? i cant cook to save my life.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:40 am

ispeaktexan wrote:you cooked an entire day? i cant cook to save my life.

The record high in Houston on Sunday was 101 - again. I stayed indoors most of the day, except for Church. This means that I cooked for the afternoon - Red Beans and Rice, and another batch of Strawberry Preserves. I'm from South Louisiana, it's what we do - Cook :D

PS: It hasn't rained at my house in Spring since May - over 40 days - so the rest of my time was spent watering the dead lawn :lol:
Cajun

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:49 am

I wont say where i live, but its south texas. & its hitting 106 here daily. The other day i was driving by the shopping mall and my temperature gauge read 109. Whats worse is its so humid. Sounds good!.

I tried to play tennis in 104 degree weather friday, and just ended up going loopy:O We all ended up leaving...
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby DerWanderer » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:29 am

Long weekends are nice...

Friday: Caught up on sleep

Saturday: Tried to make progress in reading a rather dry book on obscure aspects of database administration I'll need to master for a certification exam. Indulged in some Ben & Jerry's Phish Food ice cream as a coping strategy. Stupid sale prices.

Sunday: Tried to come up with creative uses for artichokes. Decided I needed more time catching up on sleep.
DerWanderer

Postby DeckApe » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:42 am

Thursday: worked. Saw the longest line-ups in memory for a holiday weekend of people waiting to get their car on the boat.
Friday: worked. Continued hauling people and cars out to the islands.
Saturday: worked. Didn't haul much of anyone, anywhere. Came home, attempted to watch fireworks but the presenter kept the show pretty low (i.e., below the tree-line) this year so didn't see a great deal of it.
Sunday: worked. Hauled three boatloads of cars back off the islands. Went out to dinner.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:20 pm

DeckApe wrote:Thursday: worked. Saw the longest line-ups in memory for a holiday weekend of people waiting to get their car on the boat.
Friday: worked. Continued hauling people and cars out to the islands.
Saturday: worked. Didn't haul much of anyone, anywhere. Came home, attempted to watch fireworks but the presenter kept the show pretty low (i.e., below the tree-line) this year so didn't see a great deal of it.
Sunday: worked. Hauled three boatloads of cars back off the islands. Went out to dinner.

Is that fun? Sounds like fun.
Never been on a boat. Been deprived is what ive been.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:05 am

Like I said in another thread, I have a job I like most days. I'm chief mate aboard one of the Washington State Ferries, and most days it's fun. I meet the occasional neat passenger, and a lot of neat dogs. :D

And hauled two more boatloads off the islands today. Fourth of July weekend is over, and we're all celebrating that none of the boats broke down. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:07 am

its good that you enjoy your job. Good job with the boats! I need to go on one sometime soon.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50 am

Worked all day Saturday. Sunday went into the city, met a friend for lunch, sat on the patio and people watched all afternoon. The weather was just perfect. Did a bit of shopping and bought an x-box. Now just got to figure out Halo 3. I'll have to ask my seven y/o for help.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to Users Forum