Greetings Spaceman

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Greetings Spaceman

Postby LiteratureGeek » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:59 pm

Hi, my name is Daryn. I'm a little new to being out of the closet and establishing myself in the world. I'm also a huge geek. HUGE geek. I can't name more than ten State capitols but I can tell you who designed the starship Enterprise (Matt Jeffries, BTW, amazing guy).

I am also a gay ninja. What I mean is, when I come out to people they don't believe me, and act startled like I just jumped out of the shadows. I have straight friends who people are more ready to believe are homosexual, but I completely fly under the radar. So I guess I pretty much fit the definition of straight acting, though I'm not terribly fond of the term itself.

Well, thanks for listening, and I hope in the coming days you will learn to...

BEWARE THE GAY NINJA! <ay-yay!>
LiteratureGeek

Postby furface » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:23 pm

Whoo dawgie! 'Nother visitor done stumbled in. Tom we needs another split oak chair upta the porch, son. Fetch that rocker from the shed. And when y'all gonna fix that second step? Near twisted my knee earlier fetching wood for the stove.

Scooch over boys and let Daryn up on the porch. Welcome, ole son. Set a spell and join in the palaver. If'n the conversation don't suit y'all, throw out somethin' y'all's got a interest in. Take a dip or a chaw if ya got a mind to. Just mind where ya spit, the ole houn' dawg don't take kindly to getting' hock'd on. Scratch if ya need to. We're a right friendly group, mostly. Ain't nobody been bit in near two weeks. Had most all our shots (got us a vet). We's all trainable, one or two almost house broke.

Y'all might want to look through the items scrawled on the wall in cyber chalk. Could be somethin' of interest. If not, the chalk's on a string by the door, scribble somethin' you want to jaw 'bout. T'ain't necessary to use y'all's Parson's come to Sunday supper manners, but Tom the webmaster sure would 'preciate y'all keepin' it fit for mixed company. 'Sides there's youngins about.

So....

The term 'straight-acting' as used here'bouts is more tongue-in-cheek than factually descriptive. By and large, we's just a bunch of regular guys what don't fit the stereotype for gay. Aint no big deal.

What y'all stumbled onta here is a wealth of experience, so use us like cheap ho's to figure out who and what ya are and want to be. That said, there are a few here that.... Well just say we're a mite more dysfunctional than many families out there.

Welcome aboard, and have fun. Might even make a friend or three.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby LiteratureGeek » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:29 pm

Thanks for making me feel welcome, I'll try not to break anything :P
LiteratureGeek

Postby butch » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:09 am

Live long and prosper.

Greetings from Butch.

Visit me at http://butchboard.com

If you are just coming out, it's a very good place to start. Scroll down, you'll see.

Below... me, looking particularly wizzened, the other nite, with my River Witham sword. It is a fully functional sword... i.e. it has a sharpened carbon steel blade. It is a reproduction of a sword found during construction of a bridge in England... the River Witham bridge. It dates from the 12th century... a 1 and a half hander, it can quite easily remove a head in a single blow, or an arm, or foot. Beautiful in its exquisite horror producing capability. And the nice thing about a sword, is it's all weather, never jams, or runs out of ammunition.

I keep it beside my bed. I have 2 other fully functional swords.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby LiteratureGeek » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:24 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, I definitely won't be breaking anything now. :D
LiteratureGeek

Postby Tygrrrr » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 am

Welcome aboard LitGeek.
Change you can believe in.

Translation - Pocket change is all you'll have left. You can believe in that!
Tygrrrr

Postby Dago » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:50 pm

From what I have read, during the run of the original series, fans wrote letters wanting to see Scotty actually working on the ship rather than just pressing buttons. So Matt Jeffries designed a collapsable cardboard tube kept in his office and would be taken onto the set to film Scotty working/reparing Enterprise. When needed the director would ask someone to get "Jefferies' Tube".

When Generations came along they honored Jefferies by incorprating his name into the actual design of the Enterprise D with "Jefferies' Tubes" as the name for crawl spaces the characters would use to gain access to other decks and/or reparing the ship.

Hi Daryn and welcome aboard the starship Straight Acting.

Vince
Dago

Postby Lesley R. Charles » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:24 pm

Hi Daryn and welcome to the board.
Come check me out on MySpace at http://www.myspace.com/lesleycharles
Lesley R. Charles

Return to Users Forum