So.... what's everyone look like????

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Re: So.... what's everyone look like????

Postby butch » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:31 am

J wrote:I'm about 50-75% gray (technically white). I first started finding them when I was about 17 and I've dyed it constantly since my early-mid 20s. I used to dye it dark brown (what it originally was) but switched to jet black recently as for some reason, brown seems to fade quicker, even the permanent dyes. Since I like to keep it short, I have to dye it once or twice a week. Oh well. I'll keep doing it as long as I live. I don't think I inherited baldness (my dad has a thick head of white hair at age 67, and my 32 year old brother has a very thick head of wiry salt/pepper hair. People who see us together think I'm the younger one, LOL).

Baldness is inherited through your mother... recessive gene. So, if your mother's brothers are bald there is a good chance you may end up that way too. One can improve the health of one's hair by taking extra Vitamin D and your B vitamins, particularly folic acid... and magnesium will help. A healthy body helps healthy hair. I'm guessing white hair at a young age is genetic in nature. In older age it is often stress related.

Seems like this thread has evolved into a "hunks" thread. I have no idea who the grey haired dude is, but not my type at all. Nice eyes though.

My beard is grey now and a lot of my body hair, but my head hair (what's left of it) is still fairly dark. My dad had a thick head of hair right into his 70's when he passed on. My hair has always been thinnish... very fine hair. My mother's brothers were bald. Considering I'm 65 now, I'm grateful to have as much hair as I do.
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby ispeaktexan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:23 pm

Anderson Cooper does a lot for me, and if it really is inherited through the mother then i am very glad to know that.
ispeaktexan
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:28 pm

butch wrote:Baldness is inherited through your mother... recessive gene. So, if your mother's brothers are bald there is a good chance you may end up that way too. One can improve the health of one's hair by taking extra Vitamin D and your B vitamins, particularly folic acid... and magnesium will help. A healthy body helps healthy hair. I'm guessing white hair at a young age is genetic in nature. In older age it is often stress related.

That's what I keep hearing, but for some reason, in my family that's not the case. My mother's father was COMPLETELY bald at age 25. Her middle brother was bald before he was 30 and her youngest brother (the only surviving one out of the three) has a tiny bit of hair left, mostly due to his use of Rogaine, Propecia and other methods, including (ugh) the "combover" (he's 56, but was losing it fast in his 20s and was very thin by 30). I'm 35, and my hair is still "too thick" if you know what I mean. But yes, I started seeing white hairs as early as 16/17. Both my parents had premature gray. My 32 year old brother's hair, if anything, is even thicker than mine, like a wire scrubbrush I guess? He doesn't mind the gray. The only other people we're related to who had/have very thick hair include my 66 year old dad, his 62 year old brother, his 2 sons (my two cousins on that side of the family, one is 33 and the other is 27) and my paternal grandfather, who didn't even begin to go thin until at least his mid 80s. Even my mom had unusually thin hair before she died. The only clue I have as to who on her side we could have gotten the thick hair from was her mother (who died at age 39, so I guess that's inconclusive), or someone further back. I had a great-great aunt on her side who like few from that side of the family lived to old age, and I remember visiting her when I was about 10. She was on her death bed at the time but I remember she had all her hair, and it was all brown! She never even went gray! So if I did indeed inherit baldness (or a lack thereof) from my mom's side, it had to have been from the previous generations. No way could it have been her father. I'd have been bald for over a decade now if that was the case.

And I still ponder the fact that 2 left handed parents had 2 right handed kids... That one is more mysterious and apparently not as genetic though.
J

Postby butch » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:39 pm

And I still ponder the fact that 2 left handed parents had 2 right handed kids... That one is more mysterious and apparently not as genetic though.

Left and right-handness is not understood. Most feel it is learned, but I think it may be genetic. One thing that is certain is that your right hand is mostly controlled by the left side of your brain. I remember, with my younger brother and sister, my mom made efforts to make sure they used their right hands for spoons, etc. while they were quite young.

Left-handed people are often more intelligent than average folks.

Recent scientific tests seem to confirm that bad driving is genetic. Maybe that explains what seems obvious to many of us here in Vancouver (there is a very large Asian population in Vancouver) and that is that many Asians (no offense intended) seem to be naturally bad drivers. A lot of women aren't too good at the driving thing, either, IMO.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
"You know it's going to be bad, but you just can't prepare yourself" ... Homer Simpson
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby J » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:48 pm

butch wrote:Left-handed people are often more intelligent than average folks.

Let me guess.....You're left handed.
J

Postby butch » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:24 am

J wrote:

No, I'm one of the mainstream right-handed lot, but I practice left handed exercises to improve my right brain function... I do a lot of weird things.

I actually have trouble memorizing things unless I can visualize it "in my head". I tend to see pictures of things in my head and memorize by association. It's a little annoying. Physics was always a little difficult because I often "knew" the answer to things kinda intuitively, but didn't know how to do the math. In my grade XIII class, in a city-wide exam of more than 1,000 students, there were only 2 people who got the answer to a particularly difficult floatation problem... I was one of them, of course. I knew what the answer should be... but couldn't explain the math. Of course no one else could, either.

I think that's why I like art... I like imagery, and I work out electronics "in my head" by visualizing electron flow.

List of famous lefties...

http://www.indiana.edu/~primate/left.html#U.S.%20Presidents
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby J » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:13 pm

butch wrote:
J wrote:

No, I'm one of the mainstream right-handed lot, but I practice left handed exercises to improve my right brain function... I do a lot of weird things.

I actually have trouble memorizing things unless I can visualize it "in my head". I tend to see pictures of things in my head and memorize by association. It's a little annoying. Physics was always a little difficult because I often "knew" the answer to things kinda intuitively, but didn't know how to do the math. In my grade XIII class, in a city-wide exam of more than 1,000 students, there were only 2 people who got the answer to a particularly difficult floatation problem... I was one of them, of course. I knew what the answer should be... but couldn't explain the math. Of course no one else could, either.

I think that's why I like art... I like imagery, and I work out electronics "in my head" by visualizing electron flow.

That's really interesting. I can relate to a lot of what you just said. Growing up, I had the worst time with subjects like algebra, geometry and any type of science that required equations and multi-step logical tasks. On the other hand (no pun intended), I did very well in writing, spelling, grammar (though had trouble with it initially) and creative stuff, especially music. I was the epitome of band geek (and proud of it), auditioned and performed in events such as districts and all state (I played the oboe primarily, which I saw listed in the Guiness book of world records as the most difficult instrument to play, as well as tenor sax and "pit" percussion (the xylophone/marimba, etc) for marching band. I gave it up in college because it turned into more of a "job" than something I enjoyed, but who knows, maybe I'll pick it up again for fun). I was also good at writing, particularly creative writing, which was a near guaranteed A+ whenever I took a writing class. But flunked algebra 1 twice (took it in 9th grade, then repeated it in tenth, failing both times despite a lot of tutoring). I finally squeaked by in summer school, getting a C, but it was still tougher than hell for me. It was convenient, because I took drivers ed that same summer and they were both at the high school, one right after the other.

I love hearing music, I'd like to get back into writing and possibly take up music again, and I like all kinds of art (the landscape paintings or abstract "Picasso" stuff, not the strange "modern" things that make it into museums for reasons I can't comprehend).

Perhaps I should attempt more tasks (than just "that one") with my left hand. Stimulate the right side of my brain more? I'm sure it couldn't hurt, but I don't think I'll be writing with that hand anytime soon. My handwriting's bad enough as it is with my right hand (I never quite mastered the "proper" grip of a pen/pencil), but it looks like I wrote with my foot when I try to write left handed.

Thanks for the ideas. Gives me some things to think about...
J

Postby butch » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:15 pm

That's interesting. I was never fond of English, and was a terrible speller, but I've never had problems in writing stories. I can churn them out with no problem at all.

I had an English teacher in Grade 11 who was very mean and nasty. I hated the class. One day he made us write a story and I chose the subject "Inventions I would like to see". I just churned out some dribble to get it over with.

The next day, the teacher addressed us and said all the work was HORRIBLE, with one exception. And then he proceeded to read my story. I was so embarrassed because I was extremely shy and used to keep to myself. But the class all seemed to get a good laugh... I deliberately made my "inventions" absurd and it came out as quite an amusing story, apparently.

I have no problem at all being creative with music... I can make it up on the fly and it sounds like it was written, or creating images, and I've been a photographer most of my life. I can dream up paintings as I go... it's really very easy. I never have a plan before I start a painting, I just go with the flow and what seems to feel good. I guess the "creative" types use their brains in ways most people don't and I find math extremely drudge inducing.

On the other hand, I'm a control freak and can't stand anyone trying to tell me what to do or how to do it.
I'm ready... are you?
butch
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:38 am

J wrote:

Yes....yes I am. :P

I was okay at math in high school. But I hated science. Especially chemistry. I was good at English except for Shakespeare which they tortured us with in all three grades.... :roll:

My proudest achievement was a poetry assignment in grade 10. I picked out twenty poems to analyze. I had impeccable taste. My favorite was "Song of Myself" by Walt Whitman. He talks about wishing he was an animal because they aren't whiny....they rely on themselves and don't give a shite about religion. Whitman thought he could prevent the American civil war with this poem. Gee I guess poets had more power back then.....
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby glas_scot » Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Right- handed here. At school I was horrible at subjects like English, french, history etc, but excelled in Science subjects. When I was studying to get my qualifications I needed to get into University, I had to study English a 1000x harder than anything else. I also had a very mean teacher who said there would be no way in hell I would make it to the exam nevermind pass it. So I got a tutor, studied my ass off and got a B in the end. Hell I didn't even need it for the course I'm doing but I class it as one of my best achievements. Anything is possible if you put your mind to it! :D
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby olywaguy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:04 am

Even though I am not a moderator for this forum (the moderators seem to be in inactive status), we have deviated from the main focus of this thread which is "So, what's everyone look like?"

In other words, this thread is supposed to be about what members of this site look like.

If you want to continue this chat, create a new thread for it.

Now, let's see some face pics of guys like IspeakTexan, Davey, glas_cot, etc.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby olywaguy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:46 pm

My most recent pic...about a couple of weeks ago.

Carlos

olywaguy

Postby matinee » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:59 am

We went ape-sh*t this Halloween :D

and
matinee

Postby furface » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence North? :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Phoenix6570 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:39 am

I was having some fun with my camera today. Its been awhile since I've had a good pic of myself. These were my favorites out of the ones I took. I was a having a pretty "good looking" day if I do say so myself :P

"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 am

Dude, I'd say you were having a very good looking day. Great pictures!!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby glas_scot » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:43 am

Was down in Manchester over the weekend visitng friends. I enjoyed this chocolate cake WAY too much! :D

--Steve
glas_scot

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:51 pm

I didn't know Scottish people ate cake. I thought you ate haggis. And wore kilts. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Glascot, we want to see those legs of yours. How about a pic wearing a kilt and eating some haggis while drinking some scotch. :D 8) :lol:
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby DeckApe » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:08 pm

I was just wondering where you drifted off to, GlasScot! Welcome back.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 am

Nom nom nom, eh Stevie boy? Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too? Looks yummy (and so does the cake)!!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby glas_scot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:01 pm

DeckApe wrote:I was just wondering where you drifted off to, GlasScot! Welcome back.

I've been pretty busy with school recently so I've been lurking more than posting. School's a bitch!

olywaguy wrote:Glascot, we want to see those legs of yours. How about a pic wearing a kilt and eating some haggis while drinking some scotch. :D 8) :lol:

LOL! Well, my sister is getting married in the summer and I will be wearing a kilt. Hopefully it won't be windy or you may be seeing more than just my legs! :lol:
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby nimby » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Promise? :lol:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby glas_scot » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:36 pm

I never break a promise! :D
--Steve
glas_scot

Postby JustJack » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Here's me, and me with a couple of robots I built over the winter...

Three wheel holonomic drive...

Tracked bot with remote camera...
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not your sport.
JustJack

PreviousNext

Return to Users Forum