I went off the road here...

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

I went off the road here...

Postby jkav » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:48 am

A trip into the unknown is always something that can make us happy.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Phoenix6570 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:49 am

Well as long as you didn't get it hurt or your car suffer any damages that's all that really matters. Black ice is pretty scary though.
"As long as a person doesn't admit he's defeated, he is not defeated-- he's just a little behind, and isn't through fighting" ~ Darrel Royal
Phoenix6570
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:16 am

Hmm, I never pictured you as a van guy. Do you have one of those "If the van is a-rockin, don't come a-knockin" stickers on it?
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:03 pm

chidiver wrote:Hmm, I never pictured you as a van guy. Do you have one of those "If the van is a-rockin, don't come a-knockin" stickers on it?

If I were to buy a car, I don't think I'd go with a van, but I inherited the 1995 Safari with the intention of driving it until it dies. It's starting to get kind of rickety; if my van were a-rockin', it's probably not a good thing.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:20 pm

Even this van?

Image :lol:
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:15 pm

That's one HELLUVA stick shift there....... :shock:
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby jkav » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 am

chidiver wrote:Even this van?

:lol:

Damn, that's tacky. I'll bet there's a bed where the backseats should be and everything. I'd drive it, mostly because it's a nice conversation piece.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:25 pm

jkav
Veteran Member

Postby chidiver » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:40 pm

Hmm, have you considered putting chains on your tires, or at least considering new ones?
chidiver
Veteran Member

Postby jkav » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:48 pm

New tires is on my list of things to do, and my brakes need special attention. I was hoping to have the green for it before winter, but I'm still a little way off.
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:26 am

jkav wrote:
chidiver wrote:Even this van?

:lol:

Damn, that's tacky. I'll bet there's a bed where the backseats should be and everything. I'd drive it, mostly because it's a nice conversation piece.

and probably a waterbed.

Jay- glad you're ok and your first post of the thread made me literally laugh out loud.
We have ice here. My car that can go 65 in a 55 on horrible Iowa roads after 6inches of snow can't get up my hill to leave my apartment. I got chains for me and the boy, his are cable chains so I put his on and took his car. :-)
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby jkav » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:30 am

Bramasole_iowa wrote:We have ice here. My car that can go 65 in a 55 on horrible Iowa roads after 6inches of snow can't get up my hill to leave my apartment. I got chains for me and the boy, his are cable chains so I put his on and took his car. :-)

When I learned how to drive, I lived in Utah, where it snows but almost NEVER gets icy (too dry). I remember the bad ice storms St. Louis would get when I was a kid and lived there, but commuting through one is a different story. It's supposed to freeze-rain today, but by lunchtime, it'll be regular rain that will freeze tonight. When does winter end? Oh right, it hasn't technically started yet. :roll:
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:30 am

Ugh. Don't remind me. I live in the Pacific Northwest down near sea level, where the vast majority of our snow comes on postcards, and I have a foot-plus of Winter Wonderland on my lawn. A bit less on the roads, but today I actually have to go to work. My boss has already called me to ask me to pick her up (she lives on a hill and drives a teeny car). Fortunately I worked out an alternate route to the pick-up point. I have actually chained up the truck. So much for getting my $100 back from Les Schwab. :lol:

I have done the vehicular pirouette precisely once in my life, about two months ago. I do not wish to do it again. Ever.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby yes_I_am_so_what » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:18 pm

DeckApe wrote:I have done the vehicular pirouette precisely once in my life, about two months ago. I do not wish to do it again. Ever.

Today was my first experience with that particular dance step. Backwards. Going downhill. I am proud to say my underpants remained clean and dry.
There are so many emotions available. Why strive only for happiness?
yes_I_am_so_what

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:53 pm

...could get out yesterday when it was sunny and the road was slush. Had both cars out.
Got enough ice on the road over night that we cant get out today.
Has snowed 2 or 3 inches since I tried to get us up the hill to keep ahead of the storm.

Grr.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby nimby » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:01 pm

Crikie!! Just finished two of four storms. Another storm warning for tonight ( about 8") and another one on Tues. The roads here are slick slick slick. And those morons with their SUVs who think they're invincible? HA HA HA!!!
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby The_Machinist » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:08 am

I was driving around Lima in the snow a few weeks ago in the Suburban Assault Vehicle and had to do a panic stop.... I started sliding, but steered into the skid to direct myself to the curb to stop the beast. Thankfully, the vehicle is heavy enough that it didn't hop over the curb and into a pole.

I got new tires the next day. SUV's are far from invincible, especially with no weight in the ass end. The suburban has 500 lbs of softener salt in the back now too, and that helps a lot. My Caprice wagon just plain sucks in the snow, as well as the Focus. The wagon is RWD only, so it makes a great doughnutting car out in the mall parking lot. :twisted:
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Location: Lima, OH (home)/Baltimore, MD/Buffalo, NY, and soon, Spring Hill, TN

Postby Schlodesss » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 am

^^^^
Yeah I take my S-10 out urban sledding when it snows. I am surprised at how well it sticks for a light little truck, I pretty much have to veer out to the right a little then stab it to get the ass end to come out lol. From a dig it's pretty horrible, probably due to no weight but once rolling it hooks good.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby The_Machinist » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:57 am

We got some freezing rain last night, and my bf slid past the entrance to my place. He got stuck in a driveway trying to turn around, so I ended up using the Suburban to yank him out. The road was so bad that when I went to hook up the tow strap, I just slid downhill and eventually fell on my ass.

Allen County sure blew it on this one... A little salt would have taken care of that problem quick. :evil:
You can't fix stupid.
The_Machinist

Location: Lima, OH (home)/Baltimore, MD/Buffalo, NY, and soon, Spring Hill, TN

Postby dracuscalico » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Got new tires, the expensive ones with super tread, forgot the brand name, but my SUV doesn't slide AT ALL and I don't even have extra weight in it. Before it just wouldn't stop under control and the ABS would keep locking me into a slide at the slightest provocation while other vehicles were fine. Turned out my tread was practically all gone, but the people who rotated my tires multiple times, never bothered to point it out. So someplace else got the sale instead of them.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby dudekc » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:04 am

hasent been a picnic here in the midwest either just glad i grew up in the dakotas so i kan for the most part predict where the idiots will land after a couple of days of ice it kinda thins the crowd just cant seem to shake that country boy attitude though keep my 4x4's on hand even though i only have to use them a handfull of times a year
dudekc

Return to Users Forum