Help me with my English please!

A place for newbies to introduce themselves. A place to talk nicely about other board members and share ideas.

Moderators: selective_soldier, Sconesss, Schlodesss

Help me with my English please!

Postby friend123 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:47 am

Hi, everyone. I am a student from Hong Kong. Recently, I have been told that some of the English materials that we Hong Kongers come across daily are 'Chinglish' (i.e. not proper English but somewhat influenced by Chinese). Here I would like to quote some of the materials I found from a local newspaper. Please take a look and see if it sounds weird to you. If it sounds fine to you, do you think it is a good piece of writing?

Extracted from the South China Morning Post-
'Beijing has more to lose than gain by preventing journalists from doing their work. The openness and transparency essential for the nation to move harmoniously forward can largely be assured by free media. That freedoms granted to foreign reporters in the lead-up to and during the Olympic Games have been made permanent is obviously a step in the right direction Extending the rights to domestic news agencies would be an even more meaningful gesture.

Journalists from Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and overseas have, since January 1 last year, been mostly able to move freely throughout the mainland and carry out interviews without first getting authorisation. The improvements have been largely appreciated and have sharpened coverage. But police and officials have not always respected the rules and the spirit in which they were issued; hundreds of violations have been claimed..'

Thanks a lot!!!!
friend123

Postby olywaguy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:08 pm

Actually it is very well written and multi-syllabic. Its very rarely you find such well written prose in daily newspapers.

Here in the U.S., newspapers are written at the 7th grade level in order to ensure everyone can read and understand it.

Actually, the paragraphs you quoted are more akin to academic writing. On the other hand, this is bad English.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby friend123 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:40 am

Can everyone in America write article like this? What can I do so that I can write so well? I just don't have the faintest idea...
friend123

Postby jkav » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:43 pm

friend123 wrote:What can I do so that I can write so well? I just don't have the faintest idea...

Read, Read, Read!

Read as much as you can, as often as possible. Read books, newspapers, magazines, pamphlets, anything that has been through an editorial process.

I learned firsthand that things like blogs and Wikipedia are okay, but they may contain errors or slang that language learners may not recognize as incorrect. With edited material, you can learn how the language is correctly used and also have a permanent reference to return to when it comes time to write.

Good luck!
jkav
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:37 am

A recent online South China Morning Post article:

Beijin has told artists on its annual top-rating TV gala show on Chinese New Year's Eve not to lip-synch their songs, local media reported on Thursday, a controversy that overshadowed the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.

Spelling errors, mixed sentences, unrelated balance of sentence...

This would pass as an acceptable standard in most Western newspapers these days.
solat

Postby dracuscalico » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:12 am

solat wrote:A recent online South China Morning Post article:

Beijin has told artists on its annual top-rating TV gala show on Chinese New Year's Eve not to lip-synch their songs, local media reported on Thursday, a controversy that overshadowed the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.

Spelling errors, mixed sentences, unrelated balance of sentence...

This would pass as an acceptable standard in most Western newspapers these days.

Well, how about a game of reconstruction? Everyone can redo the above sentence. (I believe that you, furface, pazuzu sasquatch and olywaguy will probably be the front runners.) Of course, the focal point of the story changes a bit when you start moving things around, but let's see what happens...

Beijing local media reported Thursday, that Artists performing in the gala on Chinese New Year's Eve's top-rated TV show, have been instructed by Beijing not to lip sync their songs due to a controversy that overshadowed the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.

I tried to make the least amount of changes to the original wording...
Last edited by dracuscalico on Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dracuscalico
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:24 am

I'm going to asume that "Beijin" was intentional, as it reads like the name of the network.

"After the controversy overshadowing the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony, Beijin informed the artists appearing on its annual top-rated Chinese New Year's Eve Gala TV show not to lip-synch their songs, local media reported Thursday."

Not much better, I'm afraid.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby solat » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:53 am

DeckApe wrote:I'm going to asume that "Beijin" was intentional, as it reads like the name of the network.

I missed that.

Beijin has told artists not to lip-synch their songs when performing on its annual TV gala show on Chinese New Year, local media reported on Thursday.
The practice provoked a controversy that overshadowed the Beijing Olympics opening ceremony.
solat

Re: Help me with my English please!

Postby qwertz » Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:30 pm

As long as you understand it, it is OK, but I don't know English.
qwertz

Return to Users Forum