Status of DADT

Our military forum goes way beyond how hot military guys are, and explores in-depth those masculine men of the armed services.

Moderators: selective_soldier, charmcitywop, devilnuts

Re: Status of DADT

Postby Rico » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:56 pm

nimby wrote:So, assuming that DADT is repealed, how will that change things? Will there be a mass comming out of gay soldiers already in the service? Will there be a run on enlistment by the flaming obvious? Could there be a mass exodus of straight guys and top brass from the service? A lot of straight acting gay guys are still not out to themselves or others, will they magically come out to their comrades?

What do you think will happen?

Most of those questions have been answered over the past year. Nearly five out of six gay military folks will not tell. There will not be a mass exodus from the military either. And as far as a run on enlistment by the flaming...I know you're kidding.

If the politicians stay out of it (which they won't), and let the military leadership deal with this new policy, hardly any differences will be noticed. That's my prediction.
Last edited by Rico on Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:51 pm

It's official. The Senate has voted to overturn DADT.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101218/ap_on_go_co/us_gays_in_military
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Marvinteck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:07 pm

DeckApe wrote:It's official. The Senate has voted to overturn DADT.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101218/ap_on_go_co/us_gays_in_military

YAY!
Marvinteck

Postby olywaguy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 am

nimby wrote:So, assuming that DADT is repealed, how will that change things? Will there be a mass comming out of gay soldiers already in the service? Will there be a run on enlistment by the flaming obvious? Could there be a mass exodus of straight guys and top brass from the service? A lot of straight acting gay guys are still not out to themselves or others, will they magically come out to their comrades?

What do you think will happen?

Well, tell us about the Canadian experience. They allow gays in the military. Was there an exodus?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby nimby » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:07 pm

No, there was never an exodus here, because there was never an issue here. Gays have always served in the army here, just like there, but a person's sexuality was a non issue. Even when they lifted the ban, it wasn't major news. Hell, we have gay RCMP officers marrying each other, even gay Federal MP's getting married. It was just never the same shame here as it was there. That's what I don't understand. Two very similar countries with two very different politics. Almost like the U.S. wants to purposely polarize the nation on almost every topic. Divide and conquor I guess.

One of our late, great Prime Ministers, Pierre Elliott Trudeau, said in 1967, "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation." I guess that mentality has always stuck with us.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:27 pm

nimby wrote:Almost like the U.S. wants to purposely polarize the nation on almost every topic. Divide and conquor I guess.

You're right except it's not almost every topic when any one or a combo of the following three serve as effective wedge issues in American politics: Gays, Guns and God. Maybe it's something about the letter 'G'?
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:28 pm

Rico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:45 am

DADT is finally history!!

President Obama signed the bill into law early this morning. The battle for recognition of gay Americans to serve their country is over. However, they might still have to battle prejudice in an individual basis. But, it is something we have to endure anyway.

To paraphrase FDR: "December 22, 2010, a date that will live in history"
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Rico » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:49 pm

I say to all Americans, gay or straight, who want nothing more than to defend this country in uniform: Your country needs you, your country wants you, and we will be honored to welcome you into the ranks of the finest military the world has ever known. . . .

For we are not a nation that says, “don’t ask, don’t tell.” We are a nation that says, “Out of many, we are one.” We are a nation that welcomes the service of every patriot. We are a nation that believes that all men and women are created equal. Those are the ideals that generations have fought for. Those are the ideals that we uphold today. And now, it is my honor to sign this bill into law. --President Barack Obama

Nicely said. I'm extremely happy with the victory. But there is a sneaking suspicion that the Republicans will use this repeal as a wedge issue in 2012 and try to make Obama eat these words. Then we'll be tested to see what kind of nation we really are. Until then...the jury remains out.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:46 pm

I have to agree. The gays will have to either use it or loose it. It's up to them now. It appears that there are many who will be passionate to set the clock back fifty years at least.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:30 pm

Well, here it is... finally. Recruiters taking applications from gay guys (and girls)!
http://www.khq.com/story/15050758/us-military-begins-taking-applications-from-gay-recruits

And, of course, in the never-ending attempt to make like miserable.... the House votes to withhold certain funding related to chaplain services in the military. Sad. Then again, the brouhaha caused when the Navy indicated Navy chaplains would perform marriages for gays and then quickly reversed their decision after the outcry from certain folks in D.C. indicates there's still a long, long way to go.
http://www.seattlepi.com/default/article/House-votes-to-halt-gay-unions-on-military-bases-1458071.php
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby DeckApe » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Well, I do believe DADT is officially gone, and I haven't heard any implosions from the military. Does Bramasole_iowa or any of our "moles" ever wander in here any more, and if so, would any care to share any news or lack thereof?
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Cachasa » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:04 pm

There were moles? In this fourm? I'm quite alarmed at that. That's just unethical.

I've noticed a lot of gay American solders coming out of the wood work on youtube and in general. Like on the news.
Cachasa

Postby DeckApe » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:02 am

I also saw in the news yesterday that for the first time in history, the Navy's traditional "First Kiss" off the returning ship went to a lesbian couple.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:26 pm

madsglen

Postby nimby » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:52 pm

Seeing that makes my heart happy. Good for them!
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 pm

And another one right in my own back yard. Stop me when you get tired of these!

http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblog/2012/03/02/photo-gay-kiss-marks-homecoming-of-bremerton-aircraft-carrier/
madsglen

Previous

Return to Military Men