Big Oops

Our military forum goes way beyond how hot military guys are, and explores in-depth those masculine men of the armed services.

Moderators: selective_soldier, charmcitywop, devilnuts

Big Oops

Postby solat » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:50 am

Has this news item made it to the US yet?

Chris Ogle from Whangerei, New Zealand, got more than he bargained for when he bought an MP3 player from an Oklahoma thrift shop for $18.

When the 29-year-old hooked up the player back in New Zealand he discovered a playlist he could never have imagined - 60 files in total, including the names and personal details of American soldiers.

"The more I look at it, the more I see and the less I think I should see!" he says.

Some of the information appears to be a mission briefing.

TVNZ News found amongst the files lists of soldiers based in Afghanistan, along with the names of some personnel who have fought in Iraq and cellphones numbers for soldiers based overseas.

TVNZ News called some of the numbers and the phones are still active.

The files that the numbers were located in are marked with a warning saying the release of its contents is "prohibited by federal law".

There are also details of equipment deployed to the bases and private information about soldiers, such as social security numbers and even which ones are pregnant.

The US Army and the American embassy in Wellington would not comment.
solat

Postby olywaguy » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:14 am

Not at all.

Why don't you send it to CNN and see what they do with it.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby JakeMIke » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:58 am

I just saw it on the Net, I think CNN.com.
JakeMIke
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:56 am

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby devilnuts » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:57 pm

The files that the numbers were located in are marked with a warning saying the release of its contents is "prohibited by federal law".

That usually indicates to one that they should not be calling those numbers.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby solat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:06 am

devilnuts wrote:

That usually indicates to one that they should not be calling those numbers.

Naughty to do it within US durisdiction. Tacky to do it on the outside.

Anyway, all sorted. The guy gave it the player back to US embassy officials.
solat

Postby Sweeet » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:43 pm

"The government isn't doing a good job of protecting the information that it collects," ...

The problem isn't the government, it's the people it trust to protect those secrets. This much I know.

Tech today is off the hook. Flash drives are getting smaller and able to hold more information. They're wrist bands, on key chains, etc.

People are surprised that you can't go into certain government building with iPods or cellphones. Here's why.

It is so difficult, for the military, to stay ahead of the curve and still be able to fit in and work with others.

The individual who originially obtained this information needs to be made an example of.
Different men often see the same subjects in different lights; and, therefore, I hope that it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen, if, entertaining as I do, speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.-PH
Sweeet

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:03 pm

Was probably transfered before the ban of personal storage devices (thumb drives, etc).

I know someone who bought a laptop from a female officer while they were in Afghanistan when she got a new laptop. She had dumped all her files in the trash bin but didn't empty it. Hundreds of pics of her naked and some of her with a male. Made the rounds of the FOB a few times before command got it and she got UCMJ actions against her.
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Return to Military Men