True tales of stop-loss

Our military forum goes way beyond how hot military guys are, and explores in-depth those masculine men of the armed services.

Moderators: selective_soldier, charmcitywop, devilnuts

True tales of stop-loss

Postby Screamer » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:53 am

Who's contract is being involuntarily extended? That's right, it's me!

Eh, can't do anything about it. Maybe I'll get to go somewhere fun, although you can guess how likely that is. The point is that I'm going somewhere next year. I get to break the news at Christmas.
"I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me"
Screamer

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:58 pm

Congratulations on your $500/mo stop-loss bonus pay!
Hanging out in the Pacific Northwest.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby devilnuts » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:30 pm

Good luck with that. Keep us posted. Luckily, there was not a stop-loss in effect when I reached my EAS. But I know a lot of people that got snagged by it.
Supporting the troops shouldn't stop at the battlefield.
devilnuts

Postby GX » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:37 pm

They were trying to kick everyone out when I was in. I didn't know of anyone that re-upped or was even allowed to. I couldn't even transfer to another branch of service.

Kind of ironic, they were doing all those draw downs in the 90's and now they're needing people back cause they got bogged down in a bunch of sh*t hole wars.
GX

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:17 am

GX wrote:They were trying to kick everyone out when I was in. I didn't know of anyone that re-upped or was even allowed to. I couldn't even transfer to another branch of service.

Kind of ironic, they were doing all those draw downs in the 90's and now they're needing people back cause they got bogged down in a bunch of sh*t hole wars.

Just wait a few months and there will be another drawdown. Barney Frank wants a 25% cut to the DoD.
Bramasole_iowa

Postby Sweeet » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:27 pm

My rating didn't get caught in that mess. I also know some guys who got snagged. Now, I see reservist who want to get deployed and, with the economy the way it is, more people are joining the military. I don't think stop-loss will last much longer. But.......
Different men often see the same subjects in different lights; and, therefore, I hope that it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen, if, entertaining as I do, speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.-PH
Sweeet

Postby Screamer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:23 am

I've got a bad MOS - there's too many of us for me to get promoted, and yet not enough so that The Man has to honor our contract and let me go at the appointed time.

Nobody I've met here has heard of the bonus pay, so I'm prepared for daily inquiries and/or not getting the money.
Screamer

Postby Bramasole_iowa » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:58 pm

Screamer wrote:I've got a bad MOS - there's too many of us for me to get promoted, and yet not enough so that The Man has to honor our contract and let me go at the appointed time.

Nobody I've met here has heard of the bonus pay, so I'm prepared for daily inquiries and/or not getting the money.

The appointed time being the end of the full 8 years or the beginning of IRR?

Stop-Loss Bonus: http://www.gopusa.com/news/2008/decembe ... loss.shtml
Bramasole_iowa

Postby Screamer » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Still waiting, don't know why. I'm ready to be done after this is over. Reserves aren't for me (maybe if I liked my job, it'd be different).

I did get a stop-loss once before, briefly. Being already away from home, it didn't seem to make that much difference. At least then, I knew the reasoning.
Screamer

Return to Military Men