Couch Surfing ???

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Couch Surfing ???

Postby Guinness Fan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:57 pm

One of my local staff has headed off to the US for a 2 week visit... She speaks perfect English, but has never been to the US before. She plans on doing a Boston - NYC - Washington tour & has made arrangements to "crash" at various locales that she's "researched" on something called "couch-surfer"...Evidently this is the latest craze amongst the back-packer/hostel 20'somthing crowd. I tried to give her "fatherly" advice, but I'm not sure any of it registered. I've traveled all over the world...but never contimplated crashing on some unknown's couch - even when I was a 20-something...

Have any of you tried "couch surfing"????
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Couch Surfing ???

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:57 am

No, but I stayed in my share of flea bag motels as a twenty something. In Vancouver I stayed in a renovated "bum" hotel. The rooms were okay, but the downstairs lounge was full of hard core winos and drug addicts. I stayed away from New York until I was old enough to afford their ridiculous prices. When everybody pays $300 a night, it doesn't seem as crazy.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Re: Couch Surfing ???

Postby nimby » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:26 pm

Never couch surfing, but I stayed in my first hostel this summer and just loved it. http://www.hihostels.ca/Ontario/1166/hi ... ail.hostel
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure