The Accidental Collector

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

The Accidental Collector

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:59 pm

I have an affinity for Art Deco and Mission Style "stuff" and have sought out & specifically collected several pieces over the years... But I've also collected - or more precisely - acquired/accumulated two distinct types of "stuff" with no malice aforethought ....(a) cufflinks and (b) boxes.... This weekend I culled my cufflink collection & now have 46 pairs (down from 82) ~ thankfully there was a guy at the pub that's starting to collect them - so they went to a good home. A quick tally of my box collection (cigarette cases, small wood keepsake boxes etc) is somewhere around 25.... Never set out to collect either cufflinks or boxes...but now I've got quite a collection...

Have you acquired specific "stuff" that you hadn't intended to collect?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: The Accidental Collector

Postby DeckApe » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:32 pm

I have seven antique radios; none purchased. Once people found out I had one, well... a lot of basements got cleared out at me. :lol:
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:29 am

Colognes. I like to smell purdy. And watches. For a while I was obcessed with time running out for me. :shock:
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:55 pm

And for some reason I save postage stamps. Though come to think of it, not lately.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:19 am

I inherited my dad's boring stamp collection which collects dust daily in the basement.

I collect quarters in small jars which I never look at so I guess I'll just cash them in some day.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:13 pm

Earl Butz wrote:I inherited my dad's boring stamp collection which collects dust daily in the basement.

You may be sitting on a fortune!!!! E-bay!...
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:28 am

I dunno....he used to pay all his bills by check and then mail the check so he had lots of stamps kicking around.

14 cents to mail a letter....boy those days are gone. They're raising it to 1 dollar here AND cutting home delivery at the same time. I guess the days of pen and paper are kaput.
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:57 am

I blame it on the proliferation of self-adhesive stamps. Somehow, nothing compares to licking a stamp to affix it to an envelope..
doctor dan

Postby olywaguy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:38 am

I've been collecting postage stamps since I was 12 years old, though, I haven't been as active lately as I should be. But yes, you never know what you have in your collection. You might have something valuable there.

Did you know that the U.S. did not publish Winter Olympics 2014 stamps? That's crazy. When an Olympics comes around, there is always a set published, but not this time around I guess.

Also, in an effort to make more money, the U.S. published Harry Potter postage stamps. Caused quite a controversy since the stories are not part of American but British culture. Written by a Brit, stories set in Britain, all the characters are Brits, etc. There was no reason for the U.S. to publish this set except in an effort to make some money. I don't know how popular they are but it caused quite a big to-do.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:16 pm

olywaguy wrote:In effort to make more money, the U.S. published Harry Potter postage stamps. Caused quite a controversy since the stories are not part of American but British culture. Written by a Brit, stories set in Britain, all the characters are Brits, etc. There was no reason for the U.S. to publish this set except in an effort to make some money. I don't know how popular they are but it caused quite a big to-do.

Not surprised by the controversy ~ but I can understand the need to make/save money ~ and am all for unique ways of doing it ~ if Harry Potter is popular, by all means, put him & his crew on a stamp...But no commeration of the Winter Olympics?????? The US Post Office lost out on a few bucks....
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:41 am

I honestly think there are kids today who don't even know what a postage stamp is. :P

I was going to buy some hockey stamps the other day but all they had was our home team. Boring. I wanted a mix of all the Canadian teams. They have some real mono thought dullards working there. :roll:
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 pm

[quote="Earl Butz"]I honestly think there are kids today who don't even know what a postage stamp is. :P

A prophetic answer.....This afternoon I was heading down to the local post office to mail some stuff back to the US...As I was on my way out the door I asked several of my 20-30-something colleagues if they wanted me to pick up some stamps or to post anything for them......The looks I got - I might as well been heading to Mars.... :oops: I don't think any of them have EVER stepped foot in a post office.........
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure