Recipes For One?

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Recipes For One?

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:40 pm

I am by no stretch of the imagination a "foodie" ~ I eat out quite a bit & actually enjoy it, but am no fan of gourmet food (which IMHO is usually a big plate adorned with a small piece of whatever, some garnish and a big price tag). When it comes to having to cook, the only thing I'm good at is making reservations...

I can boil water without scorching it, make a decent salad with the basic vegetative ingredients (i.e. iceburg lettuce & a tomato for colour), burn something on a BBQ and make spaghetti passable enough for Africans and Irishmen, but not Italians.

Instead of going out to eat all the time, I'd like to be able to whip up some simple meals for one at home. I've done my internet research...Google'd "meals for one", "simple recipes", "cooking for dummies", but many of the recipes call for ingredients that I can't readily get or if I could, I'd rarely use (how much Basil, Adzuki Beans or Flax Seed does one really use??)...

So, I'm looking for recommendations for some simple, idiot-proof, recipes for one that don't involve exotic ingredients, extensive preparation time or culinary equipment (I don't own a wok) ~ just good, simple, hearty meals that taste good and are good for you......
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Recipes For One?

Postby olywaguy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:24 am

You may want to try slow cooker recipes. You put the ingredients in the morning and it will be done by the time you get home from work.

Also, get into the habit of cooking for the whole week. Make your lunch meals during the weekend and keep it in the refrigerator until you need them.

Lately, I've been making a lot of meatloaf. That's my lunch meal. You can also buy frozen food like chicken breasts or tenderloins and fry it in olive oil. I usually put spices without having to use salt. My spices of choice are garlic salt, black pepper, and oregano (I use this mix in everything I cook even omelets). Been using paprika lately too.

I also like using sweet & sour and teriyaki sauces but I have to make sure they are gluten free. They are great for any meat.

I also get the frozen mixed vegetables and use my spice mix, sweet & sour, and teriyaki sauce. Love having it that way.

If you cover the pan with a lid, the steam will cook it more thoroughly and will be done quicker. Be sure to keep an eye on it though lest you burn it. Do this especially with chicken. Lately the bags of chicken breasts that I buy are for some reason super sized and thick. Poor chickens have been pumped with hormones for sure. That's why when I cook it, I use a lid over the pan so it will cook well.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure