Los Angeles Neighborhoods

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Los Angeles Neighborhoods

Postby olywaguy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:59 pm

There is a library job opening at USC that I am interested in pursuing, but before I do so, I would like to know what the neighborhoods around the USC area are like, as well as, the rent, etc.

I've googled some information and it doesn't look like the USC area is particularly safe to live at. Also, the gates that USC have around its perimeter at nights doesn't provide me with a deep level of confidence.

Also, are there any gayborhoods in the area?

I hope things are different today but I don't know...this is why I am asking.

I'd appreciate any input you could give me.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Los Angeles Neighborhoods

Postby doctor dan » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:14 am

I've worked at USC for 17 years. The neighborhood is not great, but not horrible. There is no need to live around campus given that the public transportation options are practically endless. I know dozens of people who take the subway, light rail, or Metrolink to downtown LA, then the USC shuttle from Union Station to campus. Most popular areas are Pasadena, Culver City, and Long Beach, where I live. Gay neighborhoods are becoming extinct in LA. Sure, there's West Hollywood, but the percentage of gays in WeHo is now at its lowest ever. If it's important for you to live near a gay bar, community center, etc., then that certainly limits your options. But businesses that cater to gay clientele are everywhere, in practically every neighborhood. If you're seriously considering an offer from USC, let me know and we'll talk more. Good luck.
doctor dan

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure