Gay Travel to Hawaii

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Gay Travel to Hawaii

Postby olywaguy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Well, I will be going to a maps conference in Honolulu in late October/early November (spending Halloween there).

So, I am seeking advice for things to do for a gay guy in Honolulu.

All advice very much appreciated.

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Gay Travel to Hawaii

Postby Earl Butz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:59 am

Oh you bastard. I've always wanted to go there.

Royal Hawaiian shopping center! For all your tacky souvenir needs! :P

I guess there is a whole street in Waikiki with clubs and what not. If you're into nightlife.

I would hike up Diamond head for something to do. Or veg out on the beach, your choice.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Alas. When I was in Honolulu, I was a broke college student. I happened to be there because it was a port of call for my ship.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:51 pm

I'd see how they celebrate Hallowee'n in Hawaii. Maybe chant to the local gods and join a drumming circle, sacrifice a young virgin or two to the volcano or just sun tan naked on the local beach.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:30 pm

Carlos, I've been to the islands a number of times but mostly to Maui (friends live here and a friend also has a timeshare so...). Been to H'lu but never really explored the "gay" aspect of the island.

Have been to a few places on Oahu, including the Polynesian Cultural Center, which is on the North Shore but is very interesting and could be worth the trip if you have the time. A fair amount pretty good lookin Polynesian boys (if you're into that sort of thing :wink: ). As is pretty much any luau. You probably should be told the PCC is actually owned by the LDS and on land owned by BYU-Hawai'i but that didn't take away from the overall cultural experience or our enjoyment when we visited. Added a bit of a fascinating aspect to it, actually.

You also might want to check out a few of the gay travel sites (such as Damron http://damron.com/). Or the links on http://www.gayhawaii.com/weblinks.htm The community links there might have some information for you or some contacts to ask questions.

Oh, and be aware that tanning naked on most beaches in Hawai'i (if you're so inclined) could get you more attention than you might want. Pretty much frowned upon in most places (except, of course, on Little Beach on Maui). If that's what you're looking for on Oahu (and there are likely places) it will take a bit of research as it's generally not published. Those locals who like to indulge pretty much keep it amongst themselves...
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby olywaguy » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am

Had a great time in Hawaii. I want to live there now. :P

My first day there was very frustrating because of the airlines (Hawaiian). My flight from SeaTac left at 8:50 a.m. but my airport shuttled arrived at SeaTac at 8:25 a.m. Basically, they told me I had missed my flight. So, I had to pay a re-route fee of $ 150.00. Not to a good start at all. So, my new route was to take me to Maui and then Honolulu. Well, that didn't quite happen. Apparently, the plane was having trouble with its brakes and couldn't land in Maui so it went to Honolulu instead. Since that was my final destination, I was ok with it but everybody else had to be re-routed to Maui. Then I go to baggage claim and there is no bag. It is going to take them a while to get everyone's baggage so they told me they would deliver it to me at my hotel. However, my bag didn't get delivered to me until about 9 p.m. All I was wearing was a long sleeve shirt, a light sweater, and jeans. Also, I wanted to take a shower before I went out on the town. So, the first day was a total loss for me. Didn't get to do anything I wanted to do.

Second day, I spent most of the day at Pearl Harbor. I got to go and see the USS Arizona and took some long distance pictures of the USS Missouri.

Ahhhh, Third day was Halloween. The buses were filled with people in costume and the guy below is my absolute favorite. I walked on the sidewalks asking folks if it was okay to take their picture and they complied readily. The guy below (Angry Bird costume) was so sweet and nice. I got to chat with him a little bit. Before we parted ways, I asked him if it was okay to hug him and he said yes. What a sweet guy!! So, I had a big smile for the rest of the night and still have it right now. Minutes later, I took a second picture of him with his friends. The pictures are on my facebook page. Notice an overriding theme in my pictures?

Fourth day, as part of the maps conference I attended, we went to Ala Moana Park to memorialize the map librarians that had passed away since 1984. We went to a jetty at the end of the park and threw flower petals onto the water. Got some good pictures from afar of Diamond Head, sunset pictures (at my younger sister's request) and some young men canoeing.

Fifth day was field trip day. We went to the Hawaii State Archives, Iolani Palace, and the Bishop Museums.

Pictures for the fourth and fifth day can be found on my facebook page.

Sixth and last day was time to go home. Spent most of the day on the plane. My flight arrived 20 minutes early at SeaTac which was about 9:25 p.m. My airport shuttle wouldn't leave until 11 p.m. I wouldn't arrive in Ellensburg until 1:15 a.m. Couldn't get to bed until about 4 a.m.

Hawaii was good for my ego. Got to hookup with someone while there. Got some interest from guys via one of the dating sites. When I got home...yes, at that late time, a guy that I hooked up with once before wanted to do so again...hence, the reason for going to bed at 4 a.m. :D :P :twisted: I definitely need to move to Hawaii.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure