Holiday Recipes

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Holiday Recipes

Postby olywaguy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:15 am

Share your favorite holiday recipes so we can share it with others.

What kind of traditions do you have at home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Re: Holiday Recipes

Postby nimby » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:14 pm

We've had this every Christmas morning since I was a widdle kid. I absolutely love it!!!

A Classic Canadian Christmas Tradition: Christmas Morning Wife Saver

Superb! Make the day before and pop in the oven in the morning. Serves 8. You and your partner get to decide who the wife is for this excercise. :D

Ingredients:
16 slices white bread, crusts removed
16 slices Canadian back bacon or ham
16 slices sharp cheddar cheese
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. pepper 2 mL
1/2-1 tsp. dry mustard 2-5 mL
1/4 cup minced onion 60 mL
1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper 60mL
1-2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 5-10 mL
3 cups milk 750 mL
dash Tabasco
1/2 cup butter 125 mL
Special K or crushed Corn Flakes

Instructions:
Set 8 pieces of bread into a 9″ x 13″ (23 x 33 cm) buttered, glass baking dish. Cover bread with slices of back bacon. Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of bacon and then cover with remaining slices of bread to make it like a sandwich. In a bowl, beat eggs and pepper. To the egg mixture add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, Worcestershire sauce, milk and Tabasco. Pour over the sandwiches, cover and let stand in fridge overnight. In morning, melt butter, pour over top. Cover with Special K or crushed Corn Flakes. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour at 350 deg.F (180 deg.C). Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Serve this with fresh fruit and hot cinnamon rolls.

Book Reference – The Best of the Best Bridge – Vol. 1 (Page: 26), Enjoy! (Page: 33)
Last edited by nimby on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:08 am

Christmas Eve (La vigilia di natale) food brings back the most memories. Usually it's all seafood (Feast of 7 Fishes). My three favorites were the linguine with clam sauce, fried smelts, and the baccala (dried salt cod).

Baccala Salad

•1 pound salt cod, soaked and drained*
•2 cloves garlic, chopped
•4 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
•1 lemon, juiced
•1/2 cup whole cured black olives
•1 celery stalk, diced
•1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
•1/8 tsp red pepper flakes

1.Place pre-soaked codfish in a medium saucepan, add water to cover by 1".
2.Bring the water to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes or until the fish flakes easily. Do not overcook.
3.Remove the cod and drain the cod well.
4.In a bowl mix the garlic, olives, celery, and black pepper, red pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil.
5.Break the cod apart in medium pieces and add to the bowl.
6.Toss the cod with the garlic-olive mixture.
7.Refrigerate and let sit for at least one half hour before serving.
8.Serve cold or at room temperature.
*--Soak the dried cod in water or milk for 24 hours in the refrigerator, draining the water and replace with fresh cold water several times. Drain the cod, rinse it, and drain it well.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:14 am

Hmm. There's always Grandma's Green Bean Casserole (which is not the french-fried onion standard that seems to be on everyone's holiday table)... I'd have to dig up the recipe. I made the "standard" version for our little Thanksgiving this year. (My better half doesn't care for mushrooms, which feature prominently.)

Same grandmother made "Cream Wafers", a decadent cookie that is on (I believe) page 208 of the 1961 Betty Crocker Cookbook. It's also in the '69 edition... it disappeared after that because the frosting featured raw egg yolk. I will find that one and post it when I get the chance.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:39 pm

DeckApe wrote:Hmm. There's always Grandma's Green Bean Casserole (which is not the french-fried onion standard that seems to be on everyone's holiday table)... I'd have to dig up the recipe. I made the "standard" version for our little Thanksgiving this year. (My better half doesn't care for mushrooms, which feature prominently.)

I'm not a fan of mushrooms either. Yuck! I like French style green beans, but I put in sliced almonds. Yum. I think it's called Green Bean Almondine.

I also make Garlic Bread for a change. I use a Rye bread loaf, smear one side of each piece with a mixture of butter, real crushed garlic and oregano, then put the loaf back together, wrap in foil and put in a warm oven for 1/2 an hour or until soft. Mmmm, just like Baba used to make.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:57 am

nimby wrote:Mmmm, just like Baba used to make.

I've noticed that's a recurring theme in this thread. Grandmothers know how to rock the food.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:00 pm

I think so many of our holiday memories involve our Grans, especially those comming from the kitchen. What will future memories be like when less And less people today enjoy cooking, or cook non-fat, healthy fruit And veggie dishes. :(
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby DeckApe » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:22 am

I've considered the merits of assembling a cookbook called "Heavy Cooking." :lol:

My hubby and I have also considered throwing a "Comfort Food" potluck, where we all bring our favorites. It was tentatively titled "Butterfest 2011." We never got around to doing it, alas.
DeckApe
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 pm

DeckApe wrote:I've considered the merits of assembling a cookbook called "Heavy Cooking." :lol:

My hubby and I have also considered throwing a "Comfort Food" potluck, where we all bring our favorites. It was tentatively titled "Butterfest 2011." We never got around to doing it, alas.

God bless Paula Deen! (And my offer to take her son Bobby off her hands still stands...)
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby nimby » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:41 pm

DeckApe wrote:I've considered the merits of assembling a cookbook called "Heavy Cooking." :lol:

OH! Invite me! I'll bring my Mac & Cheese casserole.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:12 am

Sweet and Sour red Borsch

1L water, 1L beef or chicken stock (or plain water for vegans)

2 lbs beets (you can cook for 30 minutes and peel them in advance - it will be easier)

Optional - A few dry wild mushrooms (not from China as those tend to be horribly wormy - I pick my own every year so I know they are spotless) or dry some plain white/oyster/etc supermarket mushrooms (guaranteed to be animal protein free, he he).

Salt, pepper, white vinegar, sugar to taste.

Grate the beets and add to the water/stock mix. Bring to a boil. Add mushrooms. When colour is deep red and beets are cooked, strain away the beets (keep the beets to make horse radish condiment for beef?). See how sweet the broth is and add vinegar to get a balanced zesty/sweet flavour. Add sugar if needed. Add salt and pepper after the sweet and sour are balanced. Easier to get it right then.

Now, this is OK just to drink as is but you can add to it.

Option 1: Go to a Polish/Ukrainian deli and buy little Christmas pierogies made just for this broth (veg/an/tarian goes out the window).

Option 2: Wontons. Just like for Wonton soup.

Option3: Crêpes with meat or tofu based stuffing (for veg friends).

Experiment with the sweet/sour/salty. It should be subtle but definite. You will know when it is right.

Forgot one other option: Go to a Polish deli and buy the stuff ready made in a carton. Heat, augment with salt/vinegar pepper to taste and you are done! Krakus and Winiary brands are the best.
matinee

Postby nimby » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:12 pm

matinee wrote:Forgot one other option: Go to a Polish deli and buy the stuff ready made in a carton. Heat, augment with salt/vinegar pepper to taste and you are done! Krakus and Winiary brands are the best.

I must admit, I sometimes cheat. Winiary brand instant Barszcz Czerwony is awesome! The real borscht is time consuming and messy to make, and if I just want a cup, I go for the instant. Really good!!!!! But I'd be shot if we served it at the Christmas table.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby matinee » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:10 am

nimby wrote:
matinee wrote:Forgot one other option: Go to a Polish deli and buy the stuff ready made in a carton. Heat, augment with salt/vinegar pepper to taste and you are done! Krakus and Winiary brands are the best.

I must admit, I sometimes cheat. Winiary brand instant Barszcz Czerwony is awesome! The real borscht is time consuming and messy to make, and if I just want a cup, I go for the instant. Really good!!!!! But I'd be shot if we served it at the Christmas table.

Ah, the stuff I am talking about is the real thing, not a cube. Nothing fake in it. It comes in tetra packs like juice. You can also get beet juice concentrate in jars and go from there.
matinee

Postby Mona » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:10 am

Hm...Interesting))
Thanks for the recipes shared)) Wife saver is what I'm surely going to try!
BTW, does anyone know some recipes for cooking Turkey except traditional ones?
Mona

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:03 am

Geeze...I wish I had a recipe to share, but the only thing I know how to make is dinner reservations :?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:55 pm

Well, Father's Day and the 4th of July are fast approaching...any recipes out there to share?
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Rico » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Mona wrote:Hm...Interesting))
Thanks for the recipes shared)) Wife saver is what I'm surely going to try!
BTW, does anyone know some recipes for cooking Turkey except traditional ones?

Spatchcock it!

Spatchcocking involves butterflying the bird, removing its backbone and breaking the breastbone so it lies flat. The breast meat turns out very tender, the drumsticks are juicy and flavorful, and the entire thing is done in half the time. Brining will help the spatchcocked bird too. As far as recipes....you can baste and glaze it with whatever you like.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:52 pm

Spatchcock? Sounds naughty. :lol:
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure