Beer Bread

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Beer Bread

Postby Rico » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:57 am

Not exactly sure how this works with only 4 ingredients and no kneeding, so has to be about the chemistry...something about the yeast in the beer and the baking soda in the self-rising flour. Most people don't make their own bread because it takes alot of time, is a PITA, and often turns out a huge mess. You can't go wrong with this one if you follow the directions to the letter....NO VARIATIONS. Remember....it's chemistry.

BEER BREAD

12 oz beer, room temp
3 c. self-rising flour (must use self-rising, regular flour will fail you)
3 T. sugar
1/2 stick butter, melted.

Mix first three ingredients with wooden spoon. Mix well. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan. Pour melted butter over batter. Bake at 375 for 50 minutes.

It's that easy. Let cool before slicing.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: Beer Bread

Postby nimby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:27 pm

3 T of sugar= 3 tea spoons or table spoons?

1/2 stick of butter.. 1/2 the pound or 1/2 of a 1/4 pound stick?
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:13 pm

T means tablespoon; teaspoon is normally tsp.

Most stick butter is sold in ¼ pound sticks. Full pound blocks are normally called blocks, not sticks. I've seen some butter sold as 8 1/8 pound 'short' sticks.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby Rico » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:09 pm

furface wrote:T means tablespoon; teaspoon is normally tsp.

Most stick butter is sold in ¼ pound sticks. Full pound blocks are normally called blocks, not sticks. I've seen some butter sold as 8 1/8 pound 'short' sticks.

Thanks for clarifying. That's a common thing with these "church-lady" cookbooks and recipes. I got one that really drives me crazy. It's filled with directions like: "Add a can of this" or "Stir in some of that" without ever saying how big of a can or how much "some" is.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:09 pm

Rico; there's also the mounts like - pinch, smidgen, scooch, and a bit of. As for cans, ya usually have to work backwards from the other ingredients and the number of servings it's s'posed to provide. But there ya have to be careful as well. I've seen some from the bayous that'll say serves 8 (or 3 Cajuns). Some Old Order Amish recipes are the same way, they're designed for folks doing manual labor.

Many of those recipes assume a fairly advanced knowledge of cookery, not CIA or Cordon Blue expertise, but quite familiar and comfortable round the kitchen.
"Do not ascribe malice to that which can be reasonably explained by ignorance ... or incompetence."
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby nimby » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:24 pm

Here it's very hard to find butter sold in sticks. Mostly bricks here, but the wrappers are marked on the outside, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and so on.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:25 pm

furface wrote:Many of those recipes assume a fairly advanced knowledge of cookery, not CIA or Cordon Blue expertise, but quite familiar and comfortable round the kitchen.

Good points again. Fortunately, I know my way round the kitchen, and can usually eye-ball a recipe and figure out whether something doesn't look right. I feel for those who can't and spend lots of time and money on expensive ingredients only to find there's a misprint and the dish is ruined.

Here's a funny story from Australia last year about a misprint in a recipe. A misprint in "The Pasta Bible" cost publisher Penguin Australia $20,000, according to the company. The misprint suggested that the dish tagliatelle with sardines and prosciutto required "salt and freshly ground black people" as ingredients.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:05 pm

furface wrote:Many of those recipes assume a fairly advanced knowledge of cookery, not CIA or Cordon Blue expertise, but quite familiar and comfortable round the kitchen.

I'm making a yeast bread tomorrow that calls for (no kidding) "1 cup of Holy Water." Now my grocery store doesn't carry Holy Water. I did consider going down to the nearby Orthodox Catholic church and scooping up a cup from the font, but thinking about all those fingers that have dipped into it...ewww. So, I'll take my chances tomorow with filtered tap water and just pray. :)
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby furface » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:58 pm

Maybe they meant whole water, not the 2% filtered crap some folks use to avoid added fat. :mrgreen:
Isaac Asimov
furface
Site Admin

Postby nimby » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Rico wrote:I'm making a yeast bread tomorrow that calls for (no kidding) "1 cup of Holy Water." Now my grocery store doesn't carry Holy Water. I did consider going down to the nearby Orthodox Catholic church and scooping up a cup from the font, but thinking about all those fingers that have dipped into it...ewww. So, I'll take my chances tomorow with filtered tap water and just pray. :)

I'm guessing it's from some Eastern European church cook book, right? Maybe you can use the filtered water from your fridge. What? You don't have a water dispenser in your fridge? I bet you do. Look again. :lol:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:27 pm

nimby wrote:I'm guessing it's from some Eastern European church cook book, right? Maybe you can use the filtered water from your fridge. What? You don't have a water dispenser in your fridge? I bet you do. Look again. :lol:

How'd you guess it came from one of my Eastern European church cook books? Well, instead of procuring certified Holy Water, I said a Hail Mary over the cup of filtered water I got from the frig and the bread turned out perfectly. It's called "Slavski Kolach" and is similar to a challah bread....eggy, slightly sweet, and with a hint of lemon. After it cools completely, I'll cut it in half, and carefully wrap each half for safe freezing. I'm expecting house guests this summer, and this bread will make a perfect foundation for an extra-special bread pudding or thick sliced, French toast. Mmmmmm.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:23 pm

Ugh! House guests. Be careful. Don't treat them too nice or feed them too well or they might not want to leave. I have cousins comming from out of town next week. They'll be staying for a few days and I already have their air mattresses set up in the family room. Crappy thing is that they're arrining on the same day as the Pride Parade. Them being extreme bible thumpers, they're going to be a kill joy.

Sorry, back to Beer Bread...
nimby
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure