Abu Dhabi

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Abu Dhabi

Postby Guinness Fan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:18 pm

So, I'm contemplating a job offer in Abu Dhabi, UAE. Been there a couple of times, but never spent much time ~ always just passing through...Lived elsewhere in the Middle East ~ so that aspect doesn't bother me...Been to nearby Dubai many times and am unimpressed with the bling, plastic facade and over-the-top excessiveness of the place.

I've spoken to a few expats that have lived in Abu Dhabi and researched the expat blogs...

Wondering if any of our board members have actually LIVED there ~ any comments to share?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Abu Dhabi

Postby Earl Butz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:41 am

My dad travelled there on business alot. He was not impressed. He also thought New York was a giant anus. :P
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby buccoman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:02 am

Haven't lived there but have travelled all over the UAE extensively (been in every emirate). Abu Dhabi is pretty dull, imho. Not that I'm into Dubai either, but prefer a little more local culture, street life, etc. Abu Dhabi just isn't a very good place to walk around in local neighborhoods. Its a pretty isolating place except for the large hotels. Sharjah is actually my favorite place in the UAE, just because you can walk around and mix with all sorts of people more easily and you are close to Dubai if you need a big night out. If you're single and need places to hang out, you might be really bored in AD. On the other hand, it's a good place to base yourself for other travel in the UAE and throughout the Gulf. And you can even drive into Oman from the north of the UAE; the highway system in the UAE is amazingly efficient. I guess you are aware of how brutally hot and humid it will be in Abu Dhabi in the spring and summer?
buccoman

Postby Guinness Fan » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks Buccoman! I've been hearing the same sort of comments from folks that have lived there...I think I'll be crossing Abu Dhabi off my list...
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure