What are some of your favorite food inventions?

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

What are some of your favorite food inventions?

Postby Rico » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:38 pm

Two come to mind right now for me:

Microwave popcorn: Some younger folks I know think popcorn always came in a microwavable bag, and have no idea what it was like to stand in front of the stove, heat oil in a metal pot, add popcorn, and then shake, shake, shake until the popping finished or the bottom layer of popcorn started to burn. At the same time you had to hold on tightly to the lid, trying also to make sure the kitchen towel you were using didn't catch on fire. After all of that, it was picking up all the popcorn that spilled over the top of the stove and all over floor, and then sometimes try to scrub a badly burned and blackened pot.

Double-concentrated tomato paste in a tube: It's more expensive that buying it in the little cans, but when you only need a little bit at a time, it's really a money-saver.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: What are some of your favorite food inventions?

Postby nimby » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:54 pm

Sliced bread. :D
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:59 pm

nimby wrote:Sliced bread. :D

I see you're having a good day! :D
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:39 pm

The vacuum sealer. Best bucks I can remember spending in a long time. Great way to make meals ahead for the week (or later). Blanching and freezing some local veggies in season is way better than some stuff that's traveled halfway across the world to get to the supermarket in winter. And I waste less food.

The rice cooker. Never could get the hang of brown rice on the stove. Now I don't have to.

Does Costco count? (See Item #1) I'm not a huge fan of grocery shopping. It's great to be able to get "staples" in volume sometimes. And it's also great being able to get a non-frozen, hormone- and antibiotic-free chicken right off the rotisserie for $5.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby olywaguy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:31 am

The Sandwich: Thank you Lord Sandwich for wanting to put meat between two slices of bread so you could hold your meal better during a poker game.
Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby Earl Butz » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:48 am

Food courts. There was a McDonald's and a mall across the street from my high school. The mall didn't get a food court until the mid 90's though. Boy I sure got sick of Rotten Ronnies. Now there's a Subway, KFC, Tacos, Arby's, Chinese, A&W, Thai or Japanese. :mrgreen:
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:50 pm

After a weekend of holiday baking, I also have to vote for the silicone baking mat! Thirty-six dozen cookies and I didn't have to grease or wash one cookie sheet or use parchment paper. Amazing.
madsglen

Postby Rico » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:08 pm

madsglen wrote:After a weekend of holiday baking, I also have to vote for the silicone baking mat! Thirty-six dozen cookies and I didn't have to grease or wash one cookie sheet or use parchment paper. Amazing.

I figured silicone had a more useful purpose than simply making women's breasts larger. Seriously, I always thought the cost of the mats was high, but considering what I spend on parchment paper, I might reconsider.

Back to food inventions and the stuff you actually eat...I'm adding frozen puff pastry sheets and frozen bread dough.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:38 pm

I have to vote for instant soup too. Just have to watch for the sodium content.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Rico wrote:I figured silicone had a more useful purpose than simply making women's breasts larger. Seriously, I always thought the cost of the mats was high, but considering what I spend on parchment paper, I might reconsider.

I didn't splurge on them until I saw some heavy-duty baking sheets at Costco. And the baking mats were a great deal when compared to the "brand name" variety. Two for half-sheet pans and one for a quarter-sheet pan all for about $13. About a quarter what you'd pay for the ones you see everywhere. Great deal.

Now back to the topic! I'll second the instant soup nod and also say I really love being able to buy all sorts of stock in the cardboard containers. Whole Foods even sells smaller 8-oz "juice box" sizes which are great for sauces and when other dishes. Granted, you pay a small premium at Whole Foods but they are convenient and less wasteful in the long run, I guess.

And, I really appreciate whoever invented macaroni and cheese in a box! :lol:
madsglen

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 pm

madsglen wrote:And, I really appreciate whoever invented macaroni and cheese in a box! :lol:

Ahh, geez!!! A man after my own heart. I love the stuff too. It was a staple during my college days and I got pretty creative with it. For a nice variation, try making it with garlic butter. Mmmmmmmmmm!!! Kraft put it in a box in 1937 and have changed it little since then.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby madsglen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:03 am

They only have a short season out here, but the "Temptation" melon is genius. A few years ago, somebody thought to cross a cantelope with honeydew so you get sweet orange flesh on the inside surrounded by a sweet, light green flesh with a smooth, slightly orange rind. Amazing. They probably sell them other places under different names.
madsglen

Postby olywaguy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:34 am

Seedless grapes and seedless watermelons.

I hated having to spit out the seeds all the time.
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby Schlodesss » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:42 am

Good pizza.

They screwed me over bad when they invented that.
--------------
Schlodesss

Postby J » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:29 am

Schlodesss wrote:Good pizza.

They screwed me over bad when they invented that.

You'll find great pizza here, just like the heavenly bagels in NY and San Francisco's sourdough bread.

My favorite invention? Recently, I was completely addicted to Frosted Mini Wheats with vanilla soy milk. Now I'm getting sick of it and am craving Indian curry potatoes. Next month it'll likely be PBJs (or PB/honey) this time with bananas.

You got me hungry. Thanks a lot! I have to go to 7-11 now cause I have no food here! (since I'm moving)
J

Postby Earl Butz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:45 am

I get addicted to certain foods too. Strawberry Mini Wheats are my favorite cereal. Sometimes I have them right out of the box as a snack. I tried other flavors, but strawberry is the only one I like.

My favorite Chinese restaurant has a curry chicken dish that is out of this world. I'm not a big Indian food fan, but it adds some zip to the usual Chinese meal. Sticky rice, ginger chicken and wok vegetables are also good.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:09 am

"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby olywaguy » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 am

Cajun wrote:http://www.batterblaster.com

How does it taste?
Carlos

olywaguy

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:33 am

Wow. That looks cool but a little scary. Pancakes and waffles out of a preasurized can? Hmmm...

I like making pancakes the old fashioned way, and normally they turn out just fine (and any wise cracks, "dude", and I spank your ass!). I said usually.
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Cajun » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:43 am

olywaguy wrote:How does it taste?

Expensive, and convenient, but good.......
"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything;
they just make the best of everything they have."
Cajun

Postby nimby » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:45 am

Butch Bakery in NYC...

http://www.butchbakery.com/
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:08 pm

The crock pot...2~3 lbs of stewing meat, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, one package of onion soup mix...throw it in the crock pot when leaving for work...& when I get home, boil up some rice and presto...instant comfort food.
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Guinness Fan wrote:The crock pot...2~3 lbs of stewing meat, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, one package of onion soup mix...throw it in the crock pot when leaving for work...& when I get home, boil up some rice and presto...instant comfort food.

I certainly agree with you on the basic premise...the crock pot with meat and just the right liquid is instant comfort food. Actually, my New Years Eve pork roast is in the crock right this moment.

I would tinker with your recipe just a little. Considering that one can of cream of mushroom soup has about 1,955 mg sodium, and a package of onion soup mix has about 3,500 mg of sodium, your forumla contains about 7,410 mg of sodium! Considering that we should consume about 1,300 mg daily, I'd say that's a little over the top. :shock:
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby Guinness Fan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:50 pm

^^^^YIKES, I had no idea!!! It was delicious, but I'm open to tinkering with the basic recipie....

I think I'd like to get my daily sodium intake from your HUNKS post and the caption "Kissing is like drinking salted water - You drink and your thirst increases" :D
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 am

Guinness Fan wrote:^^^^YIKES, I had no idea!!! It was delicious, but I'm open to tinkering with the basic recipie....

I picked the "worst case" brands for sodium content so you may not be that bad off if you're using healthier canned products. Still, even the "low sodium" soups have too much sodium IMO.

Making substitutes for cream soups is not that difficult, if you can make a basic roux. It's a couple of extra steps, but it's worth it and then you can control the amount of salt you want. Check this out:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4574597_cream-soup-substitute.html
Rico
Veteran Member

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure