My nuts are frozen

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

My nuts are frozen

Postby Rico » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:30 pm

The reason I bring this up is that it's holiday season and we will be eating food made by others who might not have a clue about proper food storage. A co-worker recently made some chocolate-nut cookies and brought them into the office for coworkers to eat and share. Something just didn't smell right or taste right. I asked her about the ingredients, and after some careful questioning, she admitted that she had stored the bag of walnuts in her pantry for months. They were clearly rancid.

Nuts contain a lot of oil and can become rancid if not stored properly. Storing them properly, however, is easy. When stored in a container in the refrigerator or freezer, nuts may stay fresh enough to eat for as long as 2 years. I freeze them in glass jars and never have a problem with my nuts.

Do you cook for others during this season? Have you ever gotten sick by food brought to some of these holiday office parties? What special precautions do you take when preparing food for others, or eating food that they make for you?
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Re: My nuts are frozen

Postby Daknee » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Rico wrote:The reason I bring this up is that it's holiday season and we will be eating food made by others who might not have a clue about proper food storage. A co-worker recently made some chocolate-nut cookies and brought them into the office for coworkers to eat and share. Something just didn't smell right or taste right. I asked her about the ingredients, and after some careful questioning, she admitted that she had stored the bag of walnuts in her pantry for months. They were clearly rancid.

Nuts contain a lot of oil and can become rancid if not stored properly. Storing them properly, however, is easy. When stored in a container in the refrigerator or freezer, nuts may stay fresh enough to eat for as long as 2 years. I freeze them in glass jars and never have a problem with my nuts.

Do you cook for others during this season? Have you ever gotten sick by food brought to some of these holiday office parties? What special precautions do you take when preparing food for others, or eating food that they make for you?

I not only think about how someone cares for the food they cook with but how clean their kitchen is and do they wash their hands when cooking. In my obervaton of people cooking in the kitchen it's rare I find someone with the same cooking hygene as me.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Postby Rico » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:51 pm

Daknee wrote:I not only think about how someone cares for the food they cook with but how clean their kitchen is and do they wash their hands when cooking. In my obervaton of people cooking in the kitchen it's rare I find someone with the same cooking hygene as me.

Funny you said that because I just washed my hands for what seems like the thousandth time today. I'm really careful about that. As far as the kitchen being clean, I could probably use some improvement, but I think I'm okay at that too. I just have to trust that others are okay too.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 am

Sometimes I wonder if folks today are a tad paranoid about germs. I doubt our mothers and grandmothers were as careful back in their day, and we all survived.

http://healthmad.com/children/do-we-nee ... -immunity/

And all that anti-bacterial soap is actually doing more harm than good when washed down the drain and into the water supply.
"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Daknee » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:07 am

nimby wrote:Sometimes I wonder if folks today are a tad paranoid about germs. I doubt our mothers and grandmothers were as careful back in their day, and we all survived.

http://healthmad.com/children/do-we-nee ... -immunity/

And all that anti-bacterial soap is actually doing more harm than good when washed down the drain and into the water supply.

I doubt our mothers and grandmothers were careless becasue back in the day the transference of disease and germs was more of a concern because of less availability fo anti-biontics and such. I think their thinking of cleanliness went by the wayside because of of todays availability of antis and less fear of disease. But now we are in the middle of a thinking cycle change becasue as you say the (protections) we once relied on no longer are working because of stronger and more potent trains of bacteria and germs.
The Mind Is The Greatest Vessel!
Daknee

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure