Cruise vs. Week's Holiday Abroad?

From Puerto Vallarta to Pittsburgh and all around the world you can discuss travel, eating and all around leisurely fun stuff.

Moderators: selective_soldier, devilnuts, solat

Cruise vs. Week's Holiday Abroad?

Postby Guinness Fan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:02 pm

So, now that Winter has descended upon us (Aussies, Kiwies excluded from the discussion :D ), I'm thinking about taking a week + off over the Winter & heading to warmer climes...to do nothing other than relax and soak up the sun...

I've thought of taking a cruise to the Caribbean....but I've never taken a cruise before...I like the idea of doing "nothing" for a week, but the thought of being held "hostage" aboard a ship is a bit daunting...And I've seen the "cattle call" when the tourists are disgorged at some pre-destined port or company-owned island; not my cup of tea.

Been to Florida & the Keys...got the t-shrit & bought the postcard...no desire to go back...

Lived and travelled extensivelly throughout SE Asia ~ where it's ALWAYS warm ~ is appealing ~ but 20+ hours aboard a plane for a week-long get-away along with the trip back to the US is NOT appealing....

Any recommendations other than a trip down to my local tanning salon?
God Created Guinness To Ensure The Irish Will Never Rule the World‏
Guinness Fan
Veteran Member

Re: Cruise vs. Week's Holiday Abroad?

Postby Earl Butz » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:33 am

Cruises aren't my cup of tea....I just don't like boats for some reason. I get claustrophobic or something. I've never lived near the ocean. Guess I don't have the sea in my blood. :?

Florida is nice to see once, but yeah I wouldn't rush back. It's more for kids and old people I guess.

I prefer Las Vegas, myself. Even in winter. It's too grossly hot there in summer.
A hard man is good to find!
Earl Butz
Veteran Member

Postby nimby » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:38 pm

My favourite island is Sint Maarten/St. Martin. Dutch and French, a littlr pricy, but great dining, shopping and most beaches are clothing optional. My favourite beach is called Cupecoy Beach. There are two parts, the main, family side, or walk just a little down the path to the nude section, my favourite place on earth,

"Why do we have asteroids in the hemisphere and hemmorroids in the a$$ ? "
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby Rico » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm

I agree with nimby about St. Martin/St. Maarten. I like Barbados too.

Never been on a cruise, excluding a three-year long cruise in the Navy. Too many horror stories I've heard about luxury cruises, plus scores of hidden fees and charges. And even if nothing bad happens, the schedule is too regimented and there are too many rules for my taste: "no BYOB, go ashore at 9:00, be back by 3:00"...yadda yadda yadda.

Best bet is to pick an island....fly there....rent a car and relax for a week. That's a vacation. A cruise is too much like work.
In the Beginning there was nothing, and God said: 'Let there be Light." There was still nothing, but you could see it.
Rico
Veteran Member

Postby olywaguy » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:46 pm

You may want to consider going to the Bay Islands of Honduras. They are known for having the most beautiful coral reefs in the world. Though, I've never been there myself, my grandmother was born in the island of Roatan. The primary language on the islands is English so you won't have any trouble communicating with anyone. Ernest Hemingway used to go fishing there.

Carlos

"I just want to suck his tongue out of his mouth !"--JPaul

http://www.askcarlos.com/
http://carlos-the-critic.blogspot.com/
olywaguy

Postby madsglen » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:04 pm

While I'm partial to Maui since I've friends there and have been visiting almost annually for 15 years, there's a lot to be said for Costa Rica or Belize. Friends who've been to both rave about them and if you're from the "Left Coast" it's not that long of a trip, especially from Southern California. Being at the base of the Yukatan Peninsula, Belize gets you to the Gulf of Mexico. While Costa Rica is more mountainous on the Equatorial Pacific coast.
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek - Joseph Campbell
madsglen

Postby nimby » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 pm

nimby
Veteran Member

Postby backpacker » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Taking my first cruise in January. Not sure how I will like it but your stories aren't helping in that department :D. We are leaving from Miami and heading to Nassau, Bahamas, a private island called Half Moon Cay and finishing up at Grand Turk in the Turks and Caicos then heading back to Miami. I'll let you know how it goes.
backpacker

Postby nimby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:02 pm

LOL!!! So sorry man! I'm sure you'll be just fine. I'm just a big chicken sh*t. :shock:
nimby
Veteran Member

Postby doctor dan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:07 pm

I like cruises for the following reasons:

* Unpack and pack once. And laundry service is available (included with some cabins).
* Cost of transportation, housing and meals established up front, so you know what you're spending ahead of time (excluding discretionary spending)
* Usually get to see interesting ports of call, which are free. On shore excursions are usually plentiful and affordable, though not always recommended if you really just want to relax. Some of the best relaxation time is when everybody else is on shore and you're alone at one of the pools with very personal beverage service!
* Depending on whether you do a charter like Atlantis (all gay) or a standard, commercial cruise, you can make new friends to have fun with during the week. We have done Atlantis a few times; regular cruises other times.

I dislike cruises if there are set meal times and table assignments; the only on shore excursions are those from the cruise company, which are heavily marked up in profit; nickel and dime cruise companies that charge for everything -- a diet coke? Sure, $2.50. A towel for the steam room? Oh yeah, $4.00. Etc. Find a good company (I like Celebrity for run of the mill cruises and Silversea or Crystal for nicer experiences), check them out of travel review sites, and book it already. Have fun.
doctor dan

Postby Xpat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:28 am

South America? Chile? Argentina? It's summer there too!
Xpat

Return to Travel, Food, and Leisure